News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

high horsepower 318

Started by mopar_head, April 18, 2006, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

just put in some 3.91's and a stall converter and go....  :icon_smile_approve:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

dodge freak

I love my 3.91's , 2500 rpm is gone really fast, more like 3500-4500 is what my motor is spinning a lot of times. Only thing I worry about him is the gas milage, with $3.00+ a gallon and only 16 not sure if he can burn $20.00 a day or so.

torque

Quote from: Beer on April 18, 2006, 08:35:44 PM
Quote from: mopar_head on April 18, 2006, 07:38:36 PM
im new to the forum and i got a 318 '73 charger, i am also new at this, haha im only 16 but i wanted to know if u guys can give some pointers and/ or advise so i can get a high horsepowered small block so i can show up all those dam kids with there ricers ( calling my car a grandma car cuz its a 73) they'll never understand , anyways just want ed to know if u can help me out! thnx!!!

Funny, my 73 was my wifes grandmothers car (origional owners)...
What you have is a classic. As the ricers deprieciate, your car if you bring it back to life, with appreciate in value...
While they are running around getting tickets acting a fool and causing accidents, you got that big ass back seat area (as well as front area if ya have a bench seat), to hang out with your girlfriend...

My wifes grandmothers car now has a small block all forged stroker 402, machined out of the origional 318.  Its 414 HP N/A, and may get a 150-200 shot of Nitrous next year. Not bad for a grandmothers car.

Beer

you have a point. im not trying to contradict you, but the term ricer is when you get a fart can on the back and autozone checker shit,im sayng this because my first car was a integra type R.those are pretty fast popping quotr mile times at 13.4 seconds all motor. not bad for a 1.8 l motor.let alone the fuel economy on that sucker.as you can already tell i respect a lot bothsides of the field..it was just after i bought a 68 charger that i got into muscle cars and there beauty.i joined this site bacause a friend of mine said you guys were smart and took in consideration other ppl's opinion.btw not only imports cause accidents. you see a lot of cases where kids in a mustang,camaros ect get in wrecks, because there driving asirrespnsibly as one could be.im not trying to argue with you at all. i just state this because im like both domestic and imports.BTW i really admire your work in v8 by looking at your pics and im being serius.and cmon guys lets keep this site clean of hate to other type of cars other than our beutys of muscle

dodge freak

So they get good milage, thats cause they aren't 2 tons. They cause problems too when they wreck their cars and get themself killed the cops then go blaming the other guy. I feel the same way about those motorcycles. At least somebody has a good chance of living after wrecking a old charger. As much as I think these SUV's are just a heap and clog up the freeway's it still much safer then those light weight little cars that kill alot of people inside them. One of our neighboors had a Honda accord and the mother was taking her kids to the dentist last spring and a GMC SUV rear ended her cause he was drunk at 3 pm . All three in the Honda were killed and the SUV guy broke his neck but made a full recovery. He is in jail now for 30 years, hes 48, so his life is over too. If the mother would have been in a Hummer most likely nobody would have died.  Why you can buy a new car that is under 3000 lbs and also get a SUV that is 6000 lbs is something that I wish our government would do something about. Every year now for the last 10 years or so over 40,000 people die in car wrecks every year. Some is wrong and its not getting any better. In Japan where the "ricers" are from they all drive the same type of car or a light weight truck and far less people die every year on the roads. I am not going to try to say what is safer just there is good resones to dislike a much different car than what the other person drives. That is why I dislike them. I have wreck 2 cars in the last 25 years I have been driving and thank god it was a 4000 lbs truck I hit each time and nobody was killed. One lady did hurt her leg I think but was ok 3 months later. If I ever hit a "ricer" I am going to need a good Lawyer. Thank god I never drink or take any drugs so the cops would have a hard time throwing me away.

torque

Quote from: dodge freak on May 13, 2006, 06:23:53 PM
So they get good milage, thats cause they aren't 2 tons. They cause problems too when they wreck their cars and get themself killed the cops then go blaming the other guy. I feel the same way about those motorcycles. At least somebody has a good chance of living after wrecking a old charger. As much as I think these SUV's are just a heap and clog up the freeway's it still much safer then those light weight little cars that kill alot of people inside them. One of our neighboors had a Honda accord and the mother was taking her kids to the dentist last spring and a GMC SUV rear ended her cause he was drunk at 3 pm . All three in the Honda were killed and the SUV guy broke his neck but made a full recovery. He is in jail now for 30 years, hes 48, so his life is over too. If the mother would have been in a Hummer most likely nobody would have died. Why you can buy a new car that is under 3000 lbs and also get a SUV that is 6000 lbs is something that I wish our government would do something about. Every year now for the last 10 years or so over 40,000 people die in car wrecks every year. Some is wrong and its not getting any better. In Japan where the "ricers" are from they all drive the same type of car or a light weight truck and far less people die every year on the roads. I am not going to try to say what is safer just there is good resones to dislike a much different car than what the other person drives. That is why I dislike them. I have wreck 2 cars in the last 25 years I have been driving and thank god it was a 4000 lbs truck I hit each time and nobody was killed. One lady did hurt her leg I think but was ok 3 months later. If I ever hit a "ricer" I am going to need a good Lawyer. Thank god I never drink or take any drugs so the cops would have a hard time throwing me away.

i understand your point of them being not safe as you say. but my point really not to call them the trem "ricer". ricers are the crappy civic dx or chevy cavalier with a melon size exhoust on the back and cheap parts in the interior and such. a true import from japan does not come with any of these qualities.aside from their good gas milage great handling and speed in a well tuned motor thats NOT riced out youl be surpriced of what those things can do.a lot of ppl judge them because what they see on the street, by that meaning cheap ppl with ricers. (not having to be japanese cars in particular) with riced out exhoust and ect.i hate them because they r the one that couse accidents thinking there fast when there untuned POS cars.there is no ricers in japan.if you were ever to go there you will see TRUE japanese tuning.imported cars from japan will never be as good as the ones that meant to stay there.i apologize for the big lecture on sumthing way of topic on an american car site. but get sum knolage before calling them "ricers" before knowing what rice really is.neither am im trying to start a fight with you because i respect you as much i respect your work wiengines like the pics showed.and like i said you do have point of them being very unsafe up to a point.but i can mention sum american cars that r more unsafer than japan chasis but im not going to because i love them and i got one.this does not mean i like japanese imports more that i do my charger.

Lightning

they actually copy us trying to copy them...
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

torque

torque

Quote from: Lightning 06 on May 14, 2006, 12:03:02 AM
they actually copy us trying to copy them...

wait i think i get it. well if they were trying to copy us they woulda had v8's and v10's in a lot of their cars.or would have a lot of lowend torque engines.all they do is try to squeeze every single bit of juice of a small engine without losing rlaibility.at the same time saving unesesary wight.

Lightning

I got misunderstood there.

with the ricers and the fart can exaust, the japanese have seen the US ricers doing that (while imitating them) and in turn imitate the ricers over here.  but at least their tuning companies aren't swayed by them.   An interesting tidbit of info,  they like USA Muscle Cars just as much as we do:  A Charger is their Holy Grail as well!

torque

oh i see.ya youre right.sorry for the wrong words

mopar_head

Quote from: torque on May 13, 2006, 01:22:45 PM
im new to the forum and i got a 318 '73 charger, i am also new at this, haha im only 16 but i wanted to know if u guys can give some pointers and/ or advise so i can get a high horsepowered small block so i can show up all those dam kids with there ricers ( calling my car a grandma car cuz its a 73) they'll never understand , anyways just want ed to know if u can help me out! thnx!!!

What you have is a classic. As the ricers deprieciate, your car if you bring it back to life, with appreciate in value...
While they are running around getting tickets acting a fool and causing accidents, you got that big ass back seat area (as well as front area if ya have a bench seat), to hang out with your girlfriend...

My wifes grandmothers car now has a small block all forged stroker 402, machined out of the origional 318.  Its 414 HP N/A, and may get a 150-200 shot of Nitrous next year. Not bad for a grandmothers car.

Beer

you have a point. im not trying to contradict you, but the term ricer is when you get a fart can on the back and autozone checker shit,im sayng this because my first car was a integra type R.those are pretty fast popping quotr mile times at 13.4 seconds all motor. not bad for a 1.8 l motor.let alone the fuel economy on that sucker.as you can already tell i respect a lot bothsides of the field..it was just after i bought a 68 charger that i got into muscle cars and there beauty.i joined this site bacause a friend of mine said you guys were smart and took in consideration other ppl's opinion.btw not only imports cause accidents. you see a lot of cases where kids in a mustang,camaros ect get in wrecks, because there driving asirrespnsibly as one could be.im not trying to argue with you at all. i just state this because im like both domestic and imports.BTW i really admire your work in v8 by looking at your pics and im being serius.and cmon guys lets keep this site clean of hate to other type of cars other than our beutys of muscle
know some japanese cars can do great times, but the guys whos started it are the idiots that think that if u put a NOS sticker it will go 200mph . u nwo wat inm saying? i knwo they dont got integra type R's or civics with H22's and stuff like that thats y i want to smoke them so bad! ;D
mopar muscle!!!

mopar_head

oh yes, i was reading that a SUV and a compact got in an accdent and every body in the SUV were ok , the guy in the compact died or severly injured,......and now the state was trying to ban SUV's..... wtf is up with that????? i dunno there dumb... but off the topic guys!!!..... i think it was in an old  hotrod mag of mine...... :icon_smile_big:
mopar muscle!!!

dodge freak

Well I am all for the compact cars beaning ban. Remember the Yugo? Why somebody would drive that? A nice Buick gets good milage and is much safer. But if they sold the Yugo again people would buy it.

Mike DC

Safety:

I lay part of the blame at the constuction of modern small cars.  Any race car shop can take any production car, add 150 pounds of tubing inside, and make it literally about 4 times safer in a rollover or serious crash.  It's not rocket science.  It's just a redneck rollcage.

The "safety cage" construction that the carmakers all brag about on commercials is better than nothing, but it's still rediculous that the cabins/pillars of modern cars aren't made of steel any thicker. 

It doesn't need to be a rollcage, but couldn't they just use sheetmetal a few sizes thicker?  I mean, They're ready to dump millions of dollars into computer-designing every aspect of the car's structure, but they insist on stamping a roof pillar out of 24-guage sheetmetal.  WTF?!?! 

The automakers could make these cars a hell of a lot stronger if they'd just add 50 pounds of steel to a 3700-pound car.  They don't flinch at having to add tons of airbags & DVD players & electric butt-warmers.

dodge freak

I agree, I also think the air bag is so you can't ram a fence or somebody off the road and keep on going. It also helps the cops out if you stole a car and wreck it and ran away, your blood would be in the car and they can then do DNA to get you. Thats why I think the governments have air bags. If they wanted to save lives there is much more that could be done. Remember the old days when cops wore helmets? What happen to those? If you wore a helmet today you look like a nut. It would be nice if so many lives did not get ruin everyday, people lose arms ,legs and all that. The government claims the roads are safer then ever but they go by miles driven by every car made. Lots of people own more than one car so that miles driven is way to high. My car is license to be on the road every day but I store it 5 months a year. I only can drive one car at a time no matter how many I own and license.

torque

Quote from: mopar_head on May 15, 2006, 04:48:12 PM
Quote from: torque on May 13, 2006, 01:22:45 PM

Beer

know some japanese cars can do great times, but the guys whos started it are the idiots that think that if u put a NOS sticker it will go 200mph . u nwo wat inm saying? i knwo they dont got integra type R's or civics with H22's and stuff like that thats y i want to smoke them so bad! ;D
exactly what he said.(MOPAR HEAD).btw how do you know about jdm engine swaps.lol. i thought i was the only looser here that possesed some japanesse knowlage.see, i really RESPECT ppl that respect both side of the fields .maybe he might not know everything there is to know about imports but he has knowlage on what he sais. but all of you are right about them being unsafe due to their size.but they not only spend money on ecu programing.there bodies are pretty hight tech with the technologies they implement on them.there made now to absorb the impact and try to reduce as much unjury as possible to whom ever is inside.if you were ever to wonder why do they have all the twists and loops on their unibodies.there there for  reason not to gain wheight or make them more expencive.the americans use the same tech on there cars too because it really works.or at least you get a litle more chance of living u know .btw sorry for getting you guys off the subject in this thread.

Mike DC

I've got nothing against the modern import/tuner scene.  Right now they've got some teenager-related issues with poser cars & reckless driving, but so did the american musclecar scene back in the 1970s when our Chargers were actually in the hands of a lot of teenagers. 

Yeah, these days there are a lot of teenagers driving '96 Imprezas with chromed wheels & a huge fart can but a stock motor underneath.  And for every one of those, there was a probably a teenager back in the 1970s driving a '68 Coronet wearing a set of chromed cragars & blown-out glasspacks but a stock 383 2-bbl underneath.

And as it's been said, the american musclecar scene still has teenagers over-driving raggedy old 5.0 Mustangs & Camaros to this day.

grouseman

Glad to see we're staying on topic . . .  ::)

mopar_head

the answer for MR. Torque. my friend is in to the tuner scene and that y i know so much , i really learned a lot from that dam kid and we always talk about the ups and downs for tuners and muscle cars but i know what a dumb ricer is and a tuner cuz of him  :yesnod:
mopar muscle!!!

Lightning

Ok, so...back to trying to making a 318 make more power here...(and using capital letters and punctuation and such)

If y'all were stuck with a 318 block (any year) what would you do with it?

dodge freak

1. Rev it up, but its not as strong as a 340 but 6000 rpm max should be ok.

2. Get a solid camshaft for it , nothing too big around .230 @ .050 should work good.

3. Headers are a must, but like it been said, they can be a pain to fit.

4. Rear end should be at least 3.55 or 3.91-4.10 but only if you are on the freeway for 10 mins or less. Other wise its 3.55, you could try 3.21 it depends on tire size.

5. Try to get the car as light as you can, 318's are great in a duster but a 4000 lbs car its not.

I did not say change heads, I would try it like that, if the cars only 3400 lbs or so you might be happy with it. Offy makes a great single plane manifold call the 360 high rise, give good low speed power and is good to around 6500 rpm. I think its #5700 its for the 273-318 heads.

dodge freak

B T W thats for a High Horse Power 318--if you just want a little more power do what the others said. I think that would work good on the street and get the most power without being a pain to drive in town everyday. Even a .220-.225 @ .050 would ok as long it was a solid type, but not many company's make a solid that small. This is the low cost way, if money's no problem then do what Beer did, thats the best way.

mopar_head

alright!! ill try doing all that stuff and more ( if possible since having no job really helps!!  :icon_smile_cool:) but thanks for all the support! lol im sucha noob..... :-\
mopar muscle!!!

Todd Wilson

Quote from: dodge freak on May 16, 2006, 08:14:58 PM
1. Rev it up, but its not as strong as a 340 but 6000 rpm max should be ok.

2. Get a solid camshaft for it , nothing too big around .230 @ .050 should work good.

3. Headers are a must, but like it been said, they can be a pain to fit.

4. Rear end should be at least 3.55 or 3.91-4.10 but only if you are on the freeway for 10 mins or less. Other wise its 3.55, you could try 3.21 it depends on tire size.

5. Try to get the car as light as you can, 318's are great in a duster but a 4000 lbs car its not.

I did not say change heads, I would try it like that, if the cars only 3400 lbs or so you might be happy with it. Offy makes a great single plane manifold call the 360 high rise, give good low speed power and is good to around 6500 rpm. I think its #5700 its for the 273-318 heads.

What a dumb ass set of ideas here. You dont even have a clue what you are talking about.

Todd

RD

this thread is becoming disconcerting in regards to combos  ::)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander