News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird clone on a Coronet body?

Started by Edelbroke, October 26, 2016, 10:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edelbroke

I was curious to know if anyone has ever seen someone use whole Coronet body (Rather than just the front fenders) to make a Superbird clone. Like say a 1970 model Coronet.  I know the body lines are quite different on the rear quarter panels and tail lights area. It would be more of a "custom" than a clone of anything. And also why doesn't a Vega rear window hatch work for a plug on a roadrunner? Or in this hypothetical case, a Coronet? Is it mainly the bottom corner area to tie it into the body? One other thing, I know both model wing cars are based on hardtops, isn't the coupe or post car a little more rigid since it has a door post? Just wondering why the actual race cars weren't made from post cars...

Edelbroke

Guess I'm the only one! Started with a rough 70 Superbee shell. The wing and nose are Daytona. I learned a Daytona nose is narrower than a Superbird. Rather than try and sell mine I widened it to fit the car. (I'm going to keep the correct Daytona grill opening) Still working on that. I didn't care for the peaked hood opening on the nose so I made it straight. I have the hood almost done. Rear quarters were cut off another 70 Superbee. (Not by me) I have a vega hatch, not sure if I will try and fit the window or not. Car is far from done. I was planning on making a vintage looking race car. Will try to load more pics.

qwick68

68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

djcarguy

:cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Dartona an non factory wing car thread ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,has some pics of 69 coronet with wing an nose.

custom beats bone stock restos to me. have fun ,build a wild toy ride...latter DJ the dart-tona guy.    :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:

djcarguy

lower half page 6 is 69 net wing car. but 10 pages of ideas an pics.good luck an blow some little minds.DJ    :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :cheers:

Lighthorseman

That's really cool.  :2thumbs:  When you brought this up, my mind immediately went to picture of the 69 variant DJ mentioned, but could not remember which thread it was in.  

Here's a link to the thread...  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77890.0.html
And here are the pictures.
Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 10, 2011, 10:41:25 AM

If I recall correctly, your back window is closer to that of a Road Runner than a Charger.  Have you thought about a Superbird-esque back window treatment rather than a Vega plug?

How about the hood?  I'm thinking you'll have to modify the hood because they added a central rib to the 'Bird hood...

Dave Kanofsky

I remember a Mopar magazine in the late 90's had a T-shirt with an orange '70 SuperBee with a SuperBird wing on it...

Anyone got a pic of that or remember it too?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

crj1968

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on October 27, 2016, 11:20:58 AM
I remember a Mopar magazine in the late 90's had a T-shirt with an orange '70 SuperBee with a SuperBird wing on it...

Anyone got a pic of that or remember it too?

Sounds familiar....I have a pile of 90's magazines  :scratchchin:

To the OP- cool car what color you thinking of going with?

thehemikid

Not making fun,... just have'n fun...   :icon_smile_big:

...Digg'n that Stairway to Heaven shifter lever!  :scratchchin:

djcarguy

black 70 coronet wing car looks to be custom wing an nose    top of page three,, on my

Dar-tona an wing cars not factory          by djcarguy

an 8 pages to look at here ,,    Unusual mopar  ,, thread

the black 70 used the stock hood an made nose to work with it,little odd.latter DJ   :popcrn: :popcrn:

djcarguy

there is a 68 coronet ?  maybe 69 net wing car,silver an maroom ,they had DAYCLONA in the stripe on quarter panals.pics on here somwhere?   latter DJ     :2thumbs:

pic of 68-69 above rear window an back of car on page 3 top of the,,   69 superbird MULE car build  

lots of his build pic an problem solving,lites an nose mounting..DJ   :popcrn:

Edelbroke

Outside with the hood on today. I put some different shackles on the rear to make the car sit more level. It still needs torsion bars. (They were missing when I got the car) I had cut the center out of the hood to shave off the peak but didn't like it so I put it back in with some round stock tacked on. Also narrowed the grill opening back to its original size. Still needs a ton more bodywork! Just wanted to get it somewhat mocked up. I lose ambition easy

winghawg

djcarguy