News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Handles causing dimples in door

Started by timmycharger, November 14, 2016, 12:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

:flame: I installed my repro door handles yesterday and to say I am not happy is an understatement  :flame:  The doors already had dimples in that area from the old handles, but when doing the bodywork, I used a hammer and dolly to get them straight again.  The car was painted a few months ago, and that area looked perfect.

Yesterday I put on the first handle knowing very well to be careful not to pull it too tight. The handle seemed to sit flush, I snugged the nuts by hand. and gave it probably a half turn each until it was firm against the door. I may have given the button side bolt another quarter turn, if that.   I then go to stand back and see a dimple below the skinny part of the handle/nut area.  Is there some kind of reinforcement plate I am missing? this cant be right, I used the small nuts that went on the old one, so I have no idea.

Lennard

There is no reinforcement plate  from the factory but I've seen them aftermarket.

68 charger freak

Yep there a P.I.T.A they always dimple the door. I tried the reinforcements from maga parts ,but just bolted them in like they say to, but still dimpled..I would get the reinforcement plates ,bend them to fit the contour of the door and then panel bond them to the inner skin.  :Twocents:
68 charger, pro touring build ,mini tub,528 wedge,magnum-xl 6 speed,rms alterkation,martz 4 link,moser 8.75,custom interior

timmycharger

Thanks for the feeeback, I may make my own based on what Mega Parts sells, thank you!  I need a few more days to cool off before I touch it again  :RantExplode:

mopar4don

Could you post a picture of this reinforcement plate?

Charger-Bodie

The reinforcement plates won't do much good if not installed before body work. I also get the handles too so it's clamped with the ones being used.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 16, 2016, 12:40:35 PM
The reinforcement plates won't do much good if not installed before body work. I also get the handles too so it's clamped with the ones being used.

X2 !!! plates installed securely with some kind of bonding process to stay attached to door skin , THEN do your bodywork .

I am using orig handles that are getting rechromed . I installed the reinforcement plates on the doors using windshield urethane(very strong !!! ) , as well as used the handles going to be used on that door to clamp them together for the fit . Removed the handles the next day , bodywork all done on doors , primed/blocked , bolted handles back on , wet down with prepsol to make it shiny so you can see it , no dimples  !!!! Did the same for the mirrors as well .

timmycharger

Well... that sucks  :brickwall:

At least this thread may help some other folks who are in the body work stage still  :2thumbs:

I still may try to do some "paintless dent repair" techniques and then bond in a plate and re install?