News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-paint / body shop standard practice?

Started by bannedbird, January 21, 2017, 03:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannedbird

Is this a standard practice of body shops when they paint a car: putting the paint code notes someplace on the car?  Found this piece of masking tape under dash. The "EB5" was original color of car (and on fender tag), but the "5351-D" (Dupont brand) is listed only for various 1972 - 1973 "B3 blues" and "Corporate Blue".

So I believe it is safe for me to assume that the car was painted in 1977 and the paint used was mixed to code 5351-D. 

If so, why does it say EB5 and not EB3?  Maybe the intent was to paint it B5 and the body guy read the B3 line off the chart?  Perhaps inhaling too many paint fumes in the 1970's?  Another scenario: In 1977, B5 was close to the color of the car - lol. 

Any thoughts? Thanks.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

Dino

When I worked in body shops and a customer wanted a non stock repaint then we would mark the code somewhere yes. Actually, we marked it in a few places along with the shop's info, and kept our own records just in case. I wish this was done with my 69 because I had to haul the front valance to Painter's Supply to have it color matched.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mopar John

When I had my shop I would give the customer the left over paint.
I would tell them two things:
1) It would be handy in case of touch up for small chips or scratches.
2) The info for the paint codes are on the can.
This also helped me from accumulating piles of left over paint cans.
MJ

bannedbird

Thanks guys. Dino: where were some places you would mark the paint code on the car?

This morning I was thinking: maybe the reason it is marked with both EB5 and the new color code 5351-D is because it was to note what the car's previous color was and the new color being applied?  Maybe that is a paint shop practice? I am trying to pin a date on when the car went from B5 to Petty blue.  If the car was painted Petty blue by a dealership or anyone prior to 1977, then there would have been no reason to add "EB5" to the 1977 note would there? Thx.

Dino

We had one of those tiny label printers so we would make a label that had both the old and new paint code on there, and an indication of the change. We would stick that as close as possible to the original label. We would also make a label and leave the backing on so we could slide it into the owner's manual. The owner can then choose to stick the label in the manual or not.
As a backup we would stick a label on another surface such as inside the trunk lid. Somewhere visible but not intrusive. No point in sticking it where nobody could find it!  :icon_smile_big:

We have given left over paint to a lot of customers as well, but plenty of them didn't want it and I can understand that.

bannedbird

Dino - good info - thanks.
So you think based on the hand written "label" under my dash having two paint codes, that this was the paint job when the car color went from B5 to 5351-D?

Dino

It seems to be the most logical explanation yes.

bannedbird

This will help in my search of history of car prior to 1977.  I didn't know if I was looking for details on a B5 car or Petty blue.  Plus I can ask about a 'Bird that was in a paint shop in central Virginia around May 1977.  I figure the Bondo filling the dents on passenger side was probably done right before paining.  The ONLY history the family that sold the car knew about was it went into a ditch and damaged the passenger side.  Thank you again.

Dino

odcics2

FYI - TB3 is the code for "Petty Blue" used in 1972-3. Had a part number of 3621504 on a Chrysler Parts spray car.
Was called "Super Blue" on a Dodge and "St. Basin Blue" on a Plymouth.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

I think the EB5 notation is a brain burp on the part of the painter.   Probably meant to write EB3.    But he did get the 5351 Dupont code correct.    And he painted it in Dulux.    Likely an economy paint job.   

hemi-hampton

I've worked at places where they would just grab about 5 old gallon cans or quarts of old used red or blue or whatever color the car was going & just throw them all together to try to make 1 full gallon & paint the car with that. Try matching that mess.  :brickwall: :slap: LEON.

alfaitalia

.....match anything easily nowadays with the recent advances in electronic colour matching equipment. A deer tried to kill my wifes 99 SLK Merc a while back and trashed the front fender and I thought they would never match 17 years of fade as the paint in the door shuts was noticeably different where they were out of the weather. Need not have worried....perfect match to the old paint.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

bannedbird

Quote from: Aero426 on January 23, 2017, 09:43:20 AM
I think the EB5 notation is a brain burp on the part of the painter.   Probably meant to write EB3.    But he did get the 5351 Dupont code correct.    And he painted it in Dulux.    Likely an economy paint job.   

Economy = a 2" brush for the trunk floor. But that may have been Rust-Oleum-999.

As for the EB3 vs. EB5 burp, possibly the label maker got jammed? LOL. I darken the "label" to be show better.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 24, 2017, 06:07:38 AM
.....match anything easily nowadays with the recent advances in electronic colour matching equipment. A deer tried to kill my wifes 99 SLK Merc a while back and trashed the front fender and I thought they would never match 17 years of fade as the paint in the door shuts was noticeably different where they were out of the weather. Need not have worried....perfect match to the old paint.

Which paint line ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

alfaitalia

...to be honest.....no idea! Most body shops have paint matching tools and software here....whatever paint type they use. They all mix their own colours in house.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

bannedbird

I should clarified that I am not saying that my car was repainted the exact shade mix of "1970 Petty Blue".  Only fact I think I can say that it was painted DuPont #5351-D.  Rather than talk about it in this thread, can anyone post a link here to an existing thread on this forum that clarifies if Corporate Blue was the name for paint code 999 for 1970 Superbird? And if the shade of blue referred to as "Petty Blue" on a Mopar was always the same shade/ paint mix over the years? Thx.

odcics2

I think "999" means special order color, not the particular color...   :Twocents:

Look at pics of Petty cars in history. Early ones look lighter. But, could be the film or exposure too!   :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

bannedbird

Good clarification on 999 code being "any" special (or non-standard) color for that year/model.  I know some broadcasts of 999 cars have a paint code specific for the color on them.