News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A fool and his throwout bearing

Started by taxspeaker, May 26, 2018, 08:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

So I have been working more than normal lately and doing 15 minutes at a time on the Daytona. Throwout bearing went out on my Alabama trip as I pulled into the shop. No big deal, just finding the time to do it. While taking it apart, I found (and fixed when re-assembling) a bunch of previous mechanic errors-wiring in wrong places, shifter bolts ready to fall out, bad trans mount, etc. Slowly I pulled the tranny mount and driveshaft and gently backed the transmission off of the bellhousing. Trans jacks are great things!

Anyway, I very carefully, over 2 weeks in 20 minute pieces put it back together. Today I got home and decided to go to the shop and finish up. The fool turning the wrench (that would be me) had forgotten to put the clutch fork on the new throwout bearing before putting everything back together and of course now I can't get the clutch fork on it. Thinking about what to do, I know I could undo many of the steps, insert the clutch fork and then push the tranny back in, but I can't be the only fool in Mopardom. ANyone else got an idea without pulling the tranny backwards an inch to slide the fork on and then re-bolt it back on?

Kern Dog

I've done it, or something like it. The trans is back in, shifter and when I went to slip the fork on...there was NO throwout bearing to attach to. I forgot to put it on. I've also installed them backwards. Yeah, I am more of a 727 guy anyway!

shart70rt

You should be able to slide the fork onto the throwout bearing without pulling the tranny. A bore snake camera helps a lot to make sure it is on correctly.

Huge hassle but better than pulling tranny

Stephen
Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

A383Wing

the only problem with trying to snake the fork into the bearing while the trans is in place is you are more than likely going to mess up the fork pivot steel spring when you try to put the fork in place.....

John_Kunkel

These guys are more adroit than I am, in the same situation (for a different reason) I've given up and pulled the trans. Turns out I spent more time trying to stab the fork than I spent pulling the trans.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: A383Wing on May 27, 2018, 12:43:46 PM
the only problem with trying to snake the fork into the bearing while the trans is in place is you are more than likely going to mess up the fork pivot steel spring when you try to put the fork in place.....

I've had to remove and replace a fork one time because it was the wrong length, of course you only find that out after you put the Z bar in!, just line up the clips/bearing at the right angle to the forks fingers, get the tang on the back side of the fork started and slowly push it into place with a lot of cuss words and you might get lucky on the first try

metallicareload99

:iagree:

You can install the fork without pulling the transmission again! As you install the fork keep it orientated to its final position and slide it along the pivot bracket, the tang will catch. The hardest part is getting the top clip on the throwout bearing clipped into the proper position. I don't know what bellhousing you have, but the iron 11" has enough room to get a hand in there. Good luck

:drive:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

taxspeaker

Thanks-tomorrow night the cussing will begin