News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Daytona 440 , original B5 now black , For sale XX29L9B386536

Started by tan top, January 09, 2017, 06:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaaargerb

Looks like there is another black Daytona in the hemmings for 150,000 You guys better be loading your trailers for that one :drool5:

70Sbird

Quote from: chaaargerb on January 10, 2017, 10:37:05 PM
None of you guys are considering the fact it's a one owner car that the the owner is still around. He can tell you every bump and bruise. Every story. How many more chances do you get like that. I think you guys are trying to beat it up a little to make the guy think it's not that great so you can get it cheaper. I hope he gets what he wants he deserves every penny. Good Luck.  :2thumbs:

I think you may be reading too much into the comments on pricing. I doubt any one who posted here is actually trying to run the car down to get a better selling price.
I agree that this car has HUGE value to that original owner, but that isn't worth much actual cash to someone else if he really wants to sell the car. I know of a similar R4 red 440, 4 speed Daytona that is also still with the original owner that truly believes the car is worth North of $400,000!
Taking all of the emotion out of the value guestimates, and just by going by the pictures, it looks to be a complete Daytona with a wrong color repaint that will need a complete restoration or at least some amount of work to make it safely drivable (it has been sitting in the garage for most of the last 25 years according to the owners son) without addressing any appearance items such as the interior or exterior finishes. There have been at least a couple of "project" Daytona's sell in recent memory in the $90,000 range. This car is nicer than those in that it runs and drives but still needs a lot. His asking price of $250,000 will easily get you a turn key, show quality Daytona in today's market. Based on that and the recent sales, (and just what can be seen in a few pictures) I would guess this car would sell in the $125K to maybe $140K to the right buyer IF there are no major issues.
Just my  :Twocents:

Scott Faulkner

chaaargerb

I can't say the last time I saw a running Daytona for 125,000. So what your saying is this car is only worth 15,000 more then that orange Superbird that sold for 110,000 last week at the auction.

Most running Daytona's are at least 150,000 in this condition add 25,000 for Original owner status and history 175,000  But I do agree the body structure would have to be pretty solid,good frames not all crusty.   

Moparpoolman

chaaargerb, no offense but your recent post states

"None of you guys are considering the fact it's a one owner car that the the owner is still around. He can tell you every bump and bruise. Every story. How many more chances do you get like that. I think you guys are trying to beat it up a little to make the guy think it's not that great so you can get it cheaper. I hope he gets what he wants he deserves every penny. Good Luck."   :2thumbs:

now you say

"Most running Daytona's are at least 150,000 in this condition add 25,000 for Original owner status and history 175,000  But I do agree the body structure would have to be pretty solid,good frames not all crusty."

So going by YOUR high valuation of $150,000 for a running Daytona,  you first think the owner history is worth $100,000 so hopes the owner gets $250,000.  now you think $25,000 for owner history, which is it?  Maybe, just maybe, a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and not what anyone THINKS it's worth. :Twocents:

chaaargerb

The Question was brought up as what do you think it's worth. I personally would offer him the 175,000 I stated earlier if I was in the market. I think with only a small amount of unrestored cars out there and most of them are pretty beat and missing parts or no paperwork ect plus how many people can say they bought there Dayonta from the original owner in 2017. This car is a true road warrior. The kind of car you can take to Walmart and park in the regular parking spot between 2 caravans. I believe these cars were made to be driven and enjoyed. Back in the day it was cool to see a restored bird or Daytona at a car show but now that's all you see. The unrestored cars are now fading away and when a car like this gets bought and the new owner does a ground up resto on it it's lost everything that made it a one of a kind automobile. A true piece of history not just an over restored trailer queen that sits in a heated garage for 99% of the time. I saw a post earlier about Ted Stevens Daytona and people said they thought it was worth 150,000. I think I have more original Daytona metal on my 04 caravan  :lol:. Like you say it's only worth what someone will pay and with the small amount of unrestored cars left  and being the original owner he is the one holding the cards.  There is a lot of people in the world with crazy money  and only a hand full of unrestored cars like this to chose from. If the owner of this car is reading this my opinion is STICK TO YOUR GUNS. If they tell you restored cars bring that much then tell them to buy one of those. :nana:

alfaitalia

...only thing against that argument is that I bet whoever buys it will fully restore it anyway......its just too tatty for a car that expensive. Which is why I think its way too much cash and wont sell. For most people the history will not have a lot of value IMO.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

avengnce

This is the son again . Dad tried selling locally on craigslist to no avail . (( IM totally against it being that we see it as a legacy car to stay in the family ))  I have just seen the hemmings post on here now .Its a fun car to drive and draws lots of attention and looks.
68 Coronet 440 w/ 440
69 Daytona w/ 440  ( Dads)

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: avengnce on January 15, 2017, 07:53:25 AM
This is the son again . Dad tried selling locally on craigslist to no avail . (( IM totally against it being that we see it as a legacy car to stay in the family ))  I have just seen the hemmings post on here now .Its a fun car to drive and draws lots of attention and looks.

Seems like "Dad" doesn't care to keep it in the family :shruggy:

birdsandbees

I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in here and go away. Your father owes you nothing... it's his car, his to sell and I'm sure if you really wanted it you could buy it and then your siblings (if any) can reap the benefit of the money infusion into the family should your father unfortunately meet his maker. You'd also get X % back on your purchase if you're in his will.

I'm probably one of the few here that knows exactly how it works. In 1980 I bought my '69 Super Bee from my father. $3200 @ 10% interest over 5 years. A shit load of money for someone that had just finished high school, was heading for an Engineering degree and was married in '82 and had 2 kids before that debt was paid off. My father died in 1986!

If you think it should be a family legacy car... I presume Father isn't well.  Possibly discuss the transfer with him... share your thoughts with all involved directly in the family and see if you can make it work. If not, it will sell to the highest bidder.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Moparpoolman

I'm thinking, total speculation, but maybe price is too high so it doesn't sell but to just see what the highest offer comes in at to get a value to sell to a family member.  Kinda like the gold Texas car Taxspeaker tried to buy except starting high and listening to offers instead of the ding-dong way the guy in Texas did it.

69_500

I live within 10 miles of the car. I asked your dad several times if I can come view the car before he sells but to no avail yet. I would even drive my 500 over to check it out

ksquared

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 16, 2017, 06:31:07 PM
I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in here and go away. Your father owes you nothing... it's his car, his to sell and I'm sure if you really wanted it you could buy it and then your siblings (if any) can reap the benefit of the money infusion into the family should your father unfortunately meet his maker. You'd also get X % back on your purchase if you're in his will.

I'm probably one of the few here that knows exactly how it works. In 1980 I bought my '69 Super Bee from my father. $3200 @ 10% interest over 5 years. A shit load of money for someone that had just finished high school, was heading for an Engineering degree and was married in '82 and had 2 kids before that debt was paid off. My father died in 1986!

If you think it should be a family legacy car... I presume Father isn't well.  Possibly discuss the transfer with him... share your thoughts with all involved directly in the family and see if you can make it work. If not, it will sell to the highest bidder.

I am NOT a tax attorney, and maybe my thoughts might be worth a couple of cents, but, one other item to discuss would be the tax ramifications of a sale or even a gift at this time of a highly appreciated asset by a person who may be very ill vs. holding on to it, hopefully for a very long time while the dad is alive, and then leaving it to his children as an inheritance, whose tax basis in the car at that time would be the current market/appraised value of the car (I think, although I believe there is an obscure alternative method too).

Unfortunately, many people pay much more in taxes by making mistakes.

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!