News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shifting into second

Started by tucknroll, March 05, 2017, 03:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

Hey guys, my charger, 383 2 barrel automatic,  won't shift into second while driving and flooring it. It did before but my friend and I tried adjusting the carburetor and while it runs good, while going about 40 or so, if I floor it, it won't shift down. Any ideas how to fix this

John_Kunkel

The mechanical TP linkage that connects the carb to the transmission controls the forced downshift. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and mash the throttle to the floor (engine off) then, from under the hood, see if the carb lever can be pushed back more by hand. If the carb can still be pushed back more than 1/4" or so, the throttle cable needs adjusting. Once the carb is wide open, push back on the linkage, if it moves further back more than 1/4" it needs adjusting.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tucknroll

tucknroll

I really screwed up letting my friend fool with it. I didn't start it yesterday and tried today and it almost started but then it just puffed a huge ball of white smoke from the carb. Won't start now for nothing and it always fired right up before.

NS 68 R/T

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 05, 2017, 04:40:44 PM

The mechanical TP linkage that connects the carb to the transmission controls the forced downshift. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and mash the throttle to the floor (engine off) then, from under the hood, see if the carb lever can be pushed back more by hand. If the carb can still be pushed back more than 1/4" or so, the throttle cable needs adjusting. Once the carb is wide open, push back on the linkage, if it moves further back more than 1/4" it needs adjusting.
I have mine adjusted properly and it still doesn't downshift, and it shifts early. If it's not the linkage, I take it the transmission needs to come out?

Draco

I was told once by a mopar guy that owns a Aamco shop that the linkage for kick down inside the trans wears and can create this problem. You can keep adjusting and adjusting but never shifts just right.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: NS 68 R/T on March 07, 2017, 10:48:05 PM
I have mine adjusted properly and it still doesn't downshift, and it shifts early. If it's not the linkage, I take it the transmission needs to come out?

What carb? If aftermarket does it have to correct Mopar throttle lever extension?

Many people think the linkage is adjusted correctly when it's not. Try lengthening the top rod a lot and see if it shifts later and kicks down. And check my first reply, be sure full throttle in the cabin is full throttle at the carb.

tucknroll

It's running again!  I think what happened was when he changed things on the carb, I tried starting it the next day as I always did before and I flooded it bad! I put new plugs in and it runs like a champ. I still have to mash it to the floor to shift down but it might need adjusting.  I shouldn't have to put it to the floor to downshift right?

Dino

No you should not, little flick on the throttle does the trick on mine.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

Any Torqueflite without part throttle kickdown needs to be floored (or very close to it) to kickdown.

NS 68 R/T

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 08, 2017, 05:03:44 PM
Quote from: NS 68 R/T on March 07, 2017, 10:48:05 PM

What carb? If aftermarket does it have to correct Mopar throttle lever extension?

Many people think the linkage is adjusted correctly when it's not. Try lengthening the top rod a lot and see if it shifts later and kicks down. And check my first reply, be sure full throttle in the cabin is full throttle at the carb.
It has a demon carb with the lokar cable, not linkage. I know the carb goes to full throttle and the arm on the trans moves all the way. 

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph