News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wings are back in Fashion WRC!

Started by 500Jon, February 10, 2017, 11:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Not quite right on a HATCH?
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Troy

And that car is likely worth about as much as a Daytona! I was poking around builders and parts seller websites a while back when Ken Block's Mustang came out. The AWD transmission/transaxle used in most of those cars is about $65k all by itself.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

farm966

If my kid brought that home, I would make him park it down the street. It would not be able to stay at my house for any length of time. Parenting failure.

alfaitalia

Quote from: farm966 on February 10, 2017, 01:18:55 PM
If my kid brought that home, I would make him park it down the street. It would not be able to stay at my house for any length of time. Parenting failure.

Lol....The scary thing is that they they can do 0-100 on mud faster than a Hemi would get there on tarmac....proper power/grip!

Watching the oldschool rally cars in the early eighties (like the short wheel base Audi Quattro Sport, Peugeot Turbos, Lancia Deltas, and the Metro 6r4....Google/YouTube them) with 7 or 800 horses from turbo 2 and 2.3 litre cars got me interested in far car engineering. They banned the Group A (pretty much anything goes) rally cars in the end...too fast...too dangerous....pity! I saw a charity race once (I worked selling cars for Audi for about 12 years) with a rally Quattro on a paved track it wasn't built for, racing full on touring cars. For entertainment the Audi started on the back row of the grid with all the two wheel drive race cars in their qualifying positions. The Audi overtook all the track cars before the second bend...and took most off them before the first...two wheels on the track AND TWO ON THE GRASS...amazing to see!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

cdr

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 10, 2017, 01:26:06 PM

Lol....The scary thing is that they they can do 0-100 on mud faster than a Hemi would get there on tarmac....proper power/grip!

Watching the oldschool rally cars in the early eighties (like the short wheel base Audi Quattro Sport, Peugeot Turbos, Lancia Deltas, and the Metro 6r4....Google/YouTube them) with 7 or 800 horses from turbo 2 and 2.3 litre cars got me interested in far car engineering. They banned the Group A (pretty much anything goes) rally cars in the end...too fast...too dangerous....pity! I saw a charity race once (I worked selling cars for Audi for about 12 years) with a rally Quattro on a paved track it wasn't built for, racing full on touring cars. For entertainment the Audi started on the back row of the grid with all the two wheel drive race cars in their qualifying positions. The Audi overtook all the track cars before the second bend...and took most off them before the first...two wheels on the track AND TWO ON THE GRASS...amazing to see!

Really? Faster that a Top fuel , Funny car Hemi.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

62 Max

Quote from: cdr on February 10, 2017, 02:05:09 PM

You don't run top fuel on the street,1/4 mile and your finished !!!!!!!!!

70Sbird

I guess I'm starting to think like a crotchety old man, but when I see that pic (yes I know it's fast and cool in it's own right), all I can think of is this:

Scott Faulkner

62 Max

Brent.I didn't know you had enough nerve to post a picture of your bird !! :slap:

alfaitalia

Quote from: cdr on February 10, 2017, 02:05:09 PM

...Lol...Obviously I meant a stock Hemi....but it's still impressive for a surface as slippery as mud. Watching a WRC at full tilt already makes me realise that I really don't know a lot about on the limit car handling. I know it's not hugely popular over there (why would it be when you have a sport as exciting as NASCAR......yawn zzz zzz...lol) but look it up on YouTube...these guys will amaze you.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Hemi Runner

I found another photo of that car...

held1823

i've seen some pretty quick mopars on dirt, some with wings and some without
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

PettyMower

Quote from: held1823 on February 10, 2017, 06:58:05 PM
i've seen some pretty quick mopars on dirt, some with wings and some without

Mark Kinser won a bunch of features with that Winged Sprint Car!!!

If I remember correctly, the car was used as a test bed, for Dodge's small block return to NASCAR.

Jay

JR

Some of the posters in this thread remind me of the saying "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."  :icon_smile_big:

Here's a relevant post about a recent event where a rally car lost its wing flat out in 6th gear on a tight rally course, and some fans ended up locating it and returning it to the team. The wings are 100% functional here.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/super-rad-chill-rally-fans-find-and-return-race-cars-wi-1792241620
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

500Jon

Wings aren't always a good idea?

We won't even mention the CHEVY scoop... :slap:
OOPS I just did... :smilielol:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

rob-dirt

heres one  :smilielol: