News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona and Superbird Noses and Plugs

Started by a12butterscotchbee, November 25, 2016, 11:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a12butterscotchbee

Hello Aero Fans,

I placed this thread in the Charger forum but duplicating here...

Allow me the opportunity to introduce myself: My name is James Davis. I just joined  this forum and want to take this opportunity to announce specific wing car components  we hand-craft at my facility here in the peach state: Georgia.  

Jack McCaughey (JMI/wingcarfab.com) was a close and talented friend who manufactured steel noses, steel rear window plugs and various other wing car specific parts for fellow enthusiasts.  Although Jack has passed, a tradition of producing these components will now continue as a tribute to my departed friend.
Although it has taken much time, effort, determination, and patience, success in fabricating these components has been achieved.  All equipment, tooling, templating,and a host of original parts Jack utilized in his operation has been relocated into a 1940's era dealership I call home. My background includes engineering and machining working in the aerospace industry.
Current reproduction rear glass and trim offered for sale for all three aero cars was patterned from original components I supplied to the major manufacturer. This greatly reduced the possibility of a bad fit of the reproduction glass into our rear plug for either a 500, Daytona, or Superbird.
The steel noses for either car are fabricated, assembled (held together with sheet-metal screws), crated and shipped in an un-welded state. However, for absolute best fitment, I prefer a "tailor-built" approach to a particular car due to the many factors that influence overall nose fitment.

Attached are images of our work.

Call if I can be of assistance at (770) 403-0554.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you soon.

James

70Sbird

Hello James,
Welcome to the forum, this is THE place for connecting with the wing car folks.
I see you have taken you blasting business to a new level from it's beginnings as the blast cabinet pictured next to the 'Bird! Congratulations, It looks like you are doing well.
I'm still taking good care of that old blue Superbird too, here is a picture taken last fall in Talladega.
:icon_smile_big:

I can vouch for James's ability to work on beaks!
Scott

Scott Faulkner

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

a12butterscotchbee

Greetings Scott,

Nice to read that you still own the B5 car and thanks for your kind words. Yes, you might conclude that things have evolved. The driving force has been a love for wing cars, hard work, and my professional background all converging together to build my business. My personal engineering project is a Daytona-restomod that I trust will become the marque of my business. It all dove-tails together when you look at a long-term strategy.

I have located a Superbird that was hit so hard, the left side is residing in the trunk. I am not phased at all. Time was earmarked to engineer tooling to position B-Bodies on a Celette bench insuring alignment. I did my homework on equipment before purchasing, and you cannot do any better than Celette according to Mercedes-Benz.
We're rebuilding two Chargers with images posted on the Charger portion of this forum-check them out!
Stay in touch and I will do the same. If the B5 car ever comes up for sale, give me 1st shot! Remember when I mentioned to you that Kathleen and I drove that car away at our wedding? It the only car I ever sold that I shed a tear over...still own the Viper...
Jim

wingcarenvy

Welcome Jim, I am in the market for a rear window plug and possibly a nose for a Superbird clone I am building. I'll send you a pm for pricing.

held1823

my new best friend, if i can afford the daytona front end pieces
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

qwick68

68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

Fig426

FJ5WING

just curious why the pricing is being done through PMs?
wingless now, but still around.

held1823

i don't think it was the fabricator that started the pm pricing thing?

i'm beyond interested in the front sheet metal for a daytona but will wait until prices are posted.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

wingcarenvy

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 27, 2016, 12:32:33 PM
just curious why the pricing is being done through PMs?

I thought a PM would be a better way to communicate. I spoke to Jim on the phone and he is very pleasant to talk to. He seems like an enthusiast that is doing the hobby a favor and making a business out of it. He is going to email me some prices. It sounds like he will post prices after they are more set.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: held1823 on November 27, 2016, 04:26:36 PM

i'm beyond interested in the front sheet metal for a daytona but will wait until prices are posted.

So has anyone received any quotes on nosecones or rear plugs? or placed an order with Jim D. ? as alternate sources for steel components are always welcome, Gene Gregory has "finally" packed it in by retiring, and selling off assorted facets of his repro products/business, although he maintains the tooling for his assorted wingcar parts, unfortunately he does the nosecone stamping in batch runs so there are dry spells for that source

If you don't want to post, you could PM me, I'm just curious what price range we're talking

Mike

held1823

mike, if you're tooling any front end parts up this spring/summer, pm me what you will have in the works.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

wingcarenvy

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 22, 2017, 03:43:36 PM

So has anyone received any quotes on nosecones or rear plugs? or placed an order with Jim D. ? as alternate sources for steel components are always welcome, Gene Gregory has "finally" packed it in by retiring, and selling off assorted facets of his repro products/business, although he maintains the tooling for his assorted wingcar parts, unfortunately he does the nosecone stamping in batch runs so there are dry spells for that source

If you don't want to post, you could PM me, I'm just curious what price range we're talking

Mike

I talked to him on the phone at Thanksgiving time. He seemed nice and he wasn't sure on price. He was going to get back to me but never did. I am not sure why. I have his email (lost the phone number when my phone crashed) I will send him an email. Money is real tight for me right now and I wanted to give it some time to save up. I would do a fiberglass one from you but you didn't give me a price on the plug but you did give me a price on everything else, also I wasn't sure what window or trim you use for the fiberglass plug.

41husk

What are you getting for Daytona C500 rear glass?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

DAY CLONA

Quote from: wingcarenvy on February 02, 2017, 12:48:56 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 22, 2017, 03:43:36 PM

Mike

I talked to him on the phone at Thanksgiving time. He seemed nice and he wasn't sure on price. He was going to get back to me but never did. I am not sure why. I have his email (lost the phone number when my phone crashed) I will send him an email. Money is real tight for me right now and I wanted to give it some time to save up. I would do a fiberglass one from you but you didn't give me a price on the plug but you did give me a price on everything else, also I wasn't sure what window or trim you use for the fiberglass plug.

Sorry Chris, my Superbird fiberglass plug is $450 plus shipping, original trim and glass can be used with it, Ted Janak is the only source for a Lexan Acrylic Plastic repro rear window, I have no feedback on the AMD glass or trim to comment on it at present, Don C has a Lexan rear window but it only fits his plug

Mike

wingcarenvy

Thanks Mike, I am going to take you up on that. PM sent.