News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaf spring shackle movement

Started by 68ChargerJMP, March 02, 2017, 08:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ChargerJMP

Assuming that we are talking about a Hotchkis or equivalent lowered leaf spring with a near zero arch at ride height...How far will the shackle actually swing forward and backward at both limits of suspension travel?  Thanks.

cdr

it depends on how long the rear shocks are when extended all the way, just driving they will not move much.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

HPP

With a true zero arch leaf, there would be no rearward movement. Compression would actually pull the shackle forward, as would extension. Since at zero arch there may only be  2-4 inches of upward travel, the shackle may only pull forward 1/2 to 1 inch. Extension, on the other hand would be, like cdr says, limited by shock travel, but  could easily be 8-10" or more. This would be sufficient to pull the shackle all the way forward and over center until it is snapped against the frame.

68ChargerJMP