News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct reading fuel sending unit??

Started by 69wannabe, March 07, 2017, 06:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

There was a post awhile back about finding the correct reading fuel sending unit but I lost the post and was wondering where is the best place to purchase a fuel sending unit that reads correctly instead of 1/2 or 3/4 tank when it is actually full? Been riding with the wrong reading tank sender for a couple of years now and would like to purchase a sending unit that reads right.....

69wannabe

Thanks Lennard, I checked on that one from kramer auto but it say's they are out of stock  :-\

Lennard

I bought mine a couple weeks ago from Classic Industries.  I talked with Ray Yeager (merchandising director) and he told me that theirs is accurate.  Time will tell.

green69rt

Quote from: Lennard on March 10, 2017, 08:50:12 PM
I bought mine a couple weeks ago from Classic Industries.  I talked with Ray Yeager (merchandising director) and he told me that theirs is accurate.  Time will tell.

Please make a big deal of the results of this.  You probably know about the problems these things have been though. Lot's of folks want to know.

Lennard

I don't know if you've seen the topic about my '68... but that's the car I bought it for so don't hold your breath. ;)

69wannabe

I may try one from classic and see if their's are reading correctly now. The one I bought before was from dixie restorations and it doesn't read right at all. I have tried bending this and bending that but it still pretty much read's the same no matter what I do with it.

Dino

The problem with these repro sending units is that they have linear resistors and that's not how the originals were so your fuel gauge cannot read correct over the entire range, no matter what you do with the float arm. I ended up removing the resistor box off my old cruddy sending unit and welding it onto a repro unit. The gauge reads spot on.

Before buying one ask them to pop the cover off the resistor box and see if the coil is even width (linear), or tapered (what you need).
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pete in NH

Quote from: Lennard on March 10, 2017, 08:50:12 PM

Well, it depends!

I was in contact with Ray Yeager from Classic last spring about Mopar fuel sending units and how they have been a troublesome issue for years. He sent me two A body reproduction units for evaluation. Both were OER Brand. One part number MF430 measured 10.5 ohms at full, 25 ohms at 1/2 and 75 ohms empty. This matched the Chrysler specification exactly and I would expect it to work correctly. The second unit was a stainless steel unit, part number MF255 measured 8 ohms at full, 45 ohms at 1/2 and 82 ohms at empty. This I believe is a GM linear type and will be inaccurate anywhere between full and empty.