News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner install question

Started by BLK 68 R/T, March 10, 2017, 11:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLK 68 R/T

This might be a dumb question...but here goes,

Has anyone ever put a new headliner in a dryer on low heat tumble to see if it helps get the major creases out of it?

Good idea or bad idea?  :scratchchin:

Or is it best just to lay it out for a couple days, and then install and work the wrinkles out with a hair dryer or steamer the best you can?

birdsandbees

I'll let you know how mine goes over the weekend hopefully! I've had mine laid out upstairs on the wood floor for about 2 weeks.

I think bunched up in the dryer would screw it up royally..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

timmycharger

I have not tried that, but after installation, I went around it with my heat gun on low and it took care of just about all of the wrinkles and creases.  I wanted to use a fabric steamer but couldn't get my hands on one at the time.

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: timmycharger on March 10, 2017, 01:16:31 PM
I have not tried that, but after installation, I went around it with my heat gun on low and it took care of just about all of the wrinkles and creases.  I wanted to use a fabric steamer but couldn't get my hands on one at the time.

Thanks. Probably the way I will end up doing it.

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 10, 2017, 12:29:42 PM
I'll let you know how mine goes over the weekend hopefully! I've had mine laid out upstairs on the wood floor for about 2 weeks.

I think bunched up in the dryer would screw it up royally..

Hopefully your install goes well. I was thinking of warming it up in the dryer and then laying it out flat. But yea, I don't want to ruin it.

Dino

I wouldn't risk it. Heat gun works well or you can rent a steamer to get the wrinkles out before install. Once installed you can use the heat gun again for any final wrinkles. Go easy with the gun though, the liner doesn't need much.

Come to think of it, in my tiny bathroom with the fan off I could create a whole lot of steam and hang a headliner over the shower curtain rod.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

birdsandbees

While we're on this... was the original factory headliner actually glued along the drip rail / sides or did they use the clips that are sold by many suppliers?

Wife took one look at me this morning and said "don't go out there in that condition and f it up"! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to tackle the headliner. I have it rolled around a cardboard tube right now, ready to hit the shop with it tomorrow.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487