News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Second resto shop to finish first resto shops work - Primer

Started by CDN72SE, March 14, 2017, 08:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN72SE

Think I know the answer but want to ask anyway before I give the second restoration shop an answer.

The short of it is, i just retrieved my car from a restoration shop (use the term loosely) that was forced to shut down. The car is in primer. This is what was quoted to me by the second shop when they looked over the car.

"Please note that the vehicle primer is currently unknown & the longevity of the paint cannot be guaranteed due to the unknown adhesion of the primer applied by the other shop. USING THIS PRIMER AS A BASE COMES WITH THE RISK THAT IT COULD DELAMINATE (sp deteriorate) MONTHS OR YEARS AFTER PAINTING. WE will do our best to ensure adhesion & quality but is restricted by the base & can offer no warranty".

The first shop did give me a list of products used on the car and the processes the car went through-- problem is that it all could have been lies, who knows what actual primer was used on my car. Looks like my car was has improperly blocked bodywork and has been wet sanded with a high grit sandpaper making it unsuitable as is for adhesion purposes.

The car was virtually rust-free and had been stripped completely before shop one started the work.

Ok, to my questions, can shop 2 just DA Sand the body panels back down to bare metal? Do they need to strip the interior, engine bay and trunk?
What are the chances that if they just correct the lows/highs present in current bodywork with fillers and block sand accordingly and then prime the vehicle shell with high build primer that I may be ok.

I still need to get the seam sealer applied.

Here's a picture, just to go with all the text, lol, not really to show the work done though.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=70181.200
1972 Charger SE

70 sublime

Is this your dream car and you are going to keep it for ever or finish it and drive it for a bit and get bored and start looking for next toy ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

I would not paint a car that came to me in primer. I need to know what the metal is like so yeah they'd have to strip everything down to bare metal. What they need to strip down will be up to them. If it makes for a better end result then they should.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

CDN72SE

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 14, 2017, 09:30:49 AM
Is this your dream car and you are going to keep it for ever or finish it and drive it for a bit and get bored and start looking for next toy ?

It's the car I always wanted since I was a child, I am 50 now. I have owned it 27 years, it will be my only "toy" and I will only drive it nice weather.
My issue is that I have basically given away thousands of dollars and it hurts to spend another wad of cash.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: Dino on March 14, 2017, 09:40:04 AM
I would not paint a car that came to me in primer. I need to know what the metal is like so yeah they'd have to strip everything down to bare metal. What they need to strip down will be up to them. If it makes for a better end result then they should.

Thanks Dino, that's what I am thinking, guess I just needed to hear it a few times from you guys, lol. The shop is sympathetic to what I have been through this past 14 months and are trying to help me budget wise.
1972 Charger SE

Dino

Quote from: CDN72SE on March 14, 2017, 09:54:13 AM
Quote from: Dino on March 14, 2017, 09:40:04 AM

Thanks Dino, that's what I am thinking, guess I just needed to hear it a few times from you guys, lol. The shop is sympathetic to what I have been through this past 14 months and are trying to help me budget wise.

That's a good start. If the car does not have a load of filler on it then it won't take the shop a long time to get the primer off.

birdsandbees

Sucks the big one, but at least they're being honest and want to do a great job for you!!

My guy won't even paint on AMD's coatings, everything gets media blasted clean and epoxy primed with what he "knows".
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

CDN72SE

Yeah there's not a lot of filler, actually the body guy was the only one that seemed to care. I think he was doing his best under the circumstances.
I had an estimate of $10-12,000 Canadian, from shop1 and I'm in almost double that.  :brickwall:
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 14, 2017, 10:00:01 AM
Sucks the big one, but at least they're being honest and want to do a great job for you!!

My guy won't even paint on AMD's coatings, everything gets media blasted clean and epoxy primed with what he "knows".

They did at least strip down the coatings on my AMD front & rear valances as well. Saw this car when I arrived at shop #2.  :drool5:

1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

About 4 million in that car... and if you're in Bradford I sure hope that David doesn't get you for similar!   :Twocents:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

CDN72SE

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 14, 2017, 10:09:44 AM
About 4 million in that car... and if you're in Bradford I sure hope that David doesn't get you for similar!   :Twocents:

I thought a fellow Canuck may recognise it, apparently it's 5 mill now, I made sure that my zipper from my coat was nowhere near the car, lol. There was a green 78 Thunderbird there getting some routine maintenance, original paint, regularly driven. Made me feel a bit better. I talked to Dave and Janice and I think I will be okay. Fingers crossed.
1972 Charger SE

Back N Black

Is that the "Guild", From what I see on the show they do good work.

CDN72SE

Yes it is The Guild, Back N Black, I was contemplating them right from the start. The thought of having to get my car completely stripped down is really giving me a headache.
This would be the third time it's stripped down. Almost feel like taking home and stripping it again myself.
1972 Charger SE

70 sublime

I have seen some of the Guild shows also

They seem to really like to spend the customers money

Did you see the show the old couple had the Camaro convertible with the rotted out patched up frame
Their bill was going to be about twice what you could have just gone and bought another car for
Tore the car all apart to give them the estimate or you can just take it home the way it is now

Are you just trying to get your metal work all done and painted or are they going to put it all back together so you can drive it home ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

CDN72SE

Yeah I saw that episode. I naturally have a hard time trusting anyone when it comes to paying for services, partly why I have learned and done maintenance on all my cars since i was 16.
The Guild has asked me what my budget is and have asked me what my wishes and usage for the car will be, they are very serious about everything being up front and in the open so there are no misunderstandings.

For my particular 72 SE model I could have gone out and bought a fully restored one plus kept my car for less than I have already spent. I know it's not a high dollar car or very valuable but it's the sentimentality and memories, etc.

Technically the metal work is already done by shop #1, all I want is the car properly prepped, primed and painted. I will put it all back together.
1972 Charger SE

hemi-hampton

My Opinion I would have them paint the car as is & agree to there disclaimer of no warranty or guarantee. If you got lots of money to spend & want perfection & want it to last forever then get it stripped & start over. I think you'll be fine but you never know. It' risky & like playing Russian Roulette. If someone brought me a primered car to paint I would say the same thing they said to cover my ass. LEON.

CDN72SE

Thanks for commenting Hemi Hampton, yeah I guess it just comes down to me to decide which way to go with it.
I'll keep you posted.
1972 Charger SE

Dino

This is my opinion so do with it as you see fit, but after all the investment you have made into this car, monetary and otherwise, I believe it to be foolish to take a risk of painting over the current primer. If something goes wrong in the future you'll be kicking yourself for a very long time. The car should be brought back to bare metal and covered in epoxy primer. There's really no other way to ensure longevity. Regular primer is like a sponge, it will not stop moisture from reaching the metal.

CDN72SE

I do value your opinion Dino so thanks for sharing. I think I should go back to bare metal, because not only will I be kicking myself but so will my wife.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
I just wasn't prepared for all this, I thought I had my bases covered.

I do appreciate everyone's advice and opinions it does mean a lot as I don't have any "car" people around me to ask any advice. This site and the people continue to be very valuable.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

Dino

I hear you man, this is a tough one to swallow for sure. In the end the soreness will make way for the joy of having your car where you want it to be. It's hard to lose money, no arguments there, but you'll come out on top and have your dream ride.

You can also take some solace into knowing you're not the first, nor the last, that spend a few bucks too many on his car.   ;)

CDN72SE

That's for sure Dino, thanks. I haven't driven this thing since '92, I'm almost a different person now, lol.
1972 Charger SE

Scaregrabber

The sanding is bad right now anyway. Get an estimate from them on how many hours to strip the exterior only and reprime it assuming they find no problems. Surely they can give you a # for that. I know it wouldn't take me long to knock it down, clean it and re prime it. So if it is $2k or less big deal, go for it.
No way would I strip under the hood, door jams etc. unless I seen some popping or lifting.

Sheldon

CDN72SE

Quote from: Scaregrabber on March 14, 2017, 11:35:46 PM
The sanding is bad right now anyway. Get an estimate from them on how many hours to strip the exterior only and reprime it assuming they find no problems. Surely they can give you a # for that. I know it wouldn't take me long to knock it down, clean it and re prime it. So if it is $2k or less big deal, go for it.
No way would I strip under the hood, door jams etc. unless I seen some popping or lifting.

Sheldon
Thanks Sheldon, I'll give them a call and see what they say, what you are saying sounds reasonable enough that's for sure.

Alan
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Just spoke to the shop, they are going to do a cross-hatch test on the primer to check adhesion. If it passes the test then I will authorise them to go ahead with prep, primer and paint.
1972 Charger SE

E5 Charger

That's where you are taking it! Cool! I've seen the show. Are you going to be in a future episode?