News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on Crank install in 440

Started by flashley18, April 22, 2006, 02:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flashley18

I am getting ready to install the crank in our 440 for our 71 charger and was reading in the manual about using "anaerobic" sealand to either side of the main bearing cap.  What is the sealant they are referring to and exactly where do I need to put it.  Also has anyone used the anti leak bearing from Mancini.  Do you really need them??

John_Kunkel

Anaerobic means it doesn't need oxygen to cure.

The surface on either side of the crank seal where the seal retainer meets the block is where the sealant is needed, hot oil can pass through the ungasketed surface between the crank seal and the side seals.

I use RTV to seal that surface and apply a bead of it to the corner on each side where the seal retainer meets the block to augment the side seals.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flashley18

Thanks for the information on the sealant.  Next question is the manual for the car states that one upper bearing is chamfered and to use it in a particular spot.  The Sealed Power bearing that I got look all the same except of course for the thrust bearing.  Is there supposed to be one chamfered upper bearing???