News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question for hydraulic clutch experts

Started by fatboy.88, April 19, 2017, 10:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatboy.88

Hi guys,
Just had a auto to manual conversion done on me 68 440.
I'm not convinced that the guy doing it was really up to it ,but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I went with the Ram power grip  Borg and Beck style clutch set  rated to 550 HP as I intend to give her more horses later on and their billet flywheel with the Hydramax hydraulic throw out bearing kit.

There are no issues with the Ram parts although I've only driven 50 odd miles so it's a little to early to tell. The bearing is doing it's things far as I can see but the pedal is really hard work.
I went with a hydraulic system as my wife loves to drive the Charger as much as me but now she cannot even push the pedal down and it's not much fun around town for me.

As I said I'm not convinced the mechanic was up to the job installing the throw out bearing correctly,or is that the best I'm going to get,
If so what do you recommend?
I know about pedal ratios 4to1 5to1 etc so I'm wondering if that could be the problem ,when it was first set up I couldn't push it down at all.

When I asked about the difficult pedal pressure he basically said should have gone with a diafram clutch then.

Am I expecting too much?

randy73

Can't help with your question, but I have 2 questions.

1) Did you call the company you bought it from and ask what the clutch feel should be?

2) Does the clutch fully disengage and if so, at what point?  I
If it disengages at the bottom of the pedal movement, I would suspect it was not installed correctly. But the manufacture can tell you how it is supposed to work.

Troy

I thought the point of hydraulic clutch was to lessen the pedal effort? I have factory clutches (mechanical linkage) in all mine and they can be a bear (especially in traffic). Every car I've had with hydraulic clutches have been very light.

A quick Google search:
QuoteThis hydraulic bearing is designed to work with a .70-.750 master cylinder.  If you are installing a complete American Powertrain system then you have the right master cylinder for the job.  If you are installing just the HRB kit, make sure you have the correct master cylinder.  Volumetric fluid matching of components is essential to the success of your install.
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/awr-hmgm01101sr.pdf

These reviews for the toploader version don't sound good:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-hmfo02603g/reviews/

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: fatboy.88 on April 19, 2017, 10:20:38 AM
I know about pedal ratios 4to1 5to1 etc so I'm wondering if that could be the problem ,when it was first set up I couldn't push it down at all.

Wrong combo of master cylinder size and pedal ratio combined with a performance pressure plate will result in a stiff pedal. You can tell a lot about the pedal ratio by the point in the pedal travel where the clutch engages/disengages. If engagement is high in the pedal travel the ratio is probably too low or the MC size is too big.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fatboy.88

Thanks for the replys guys
I have contacted Ram clutches regarding how the pedal should feel,awaiting answer.
It had been suggested that the bore could be to small on the MC by a buddy just like to get others​ opinions, it helps.

John_Kunkel

Too small on the MC won't increase pedal pressure but too large will. Too small increases pedal travel.

Rolling_Thunder

did your mechanic remove the over-center spring ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

fatboy.88

Yes spring removed.
I have two options now, fit a diafram pressure plate as Ram clutches advice or fit a land rover in line clutch servo for $80

John_Kunkel

Keep in mind that the servo booster only works if you have plenty of excess pedal travel which goes back to my original reply....where in the pedal travel does the clutch engage/disengage? If the clutch engages at the top of the pedal travel, your MC is too big.