News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint cost

Started by randy73, April 26, 2017, 11:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

I know this is subjective and based on area, but I am almost finished sanding and doing the body work on my 73. I have a couple of coats of primer on the car (rattle can) to keep from getting surface rust, just trying to get an idea of what a shop would charge me to paint the exterior including jambs, under trunk hood and engine bay?

Car is apart and I would re-assemble.

green69rt

Actual cost depends on the hourly rate that you get charged.  It also depends on the paint shop and if they will allow you to do some work.  A lot of shops will want to redo any work you do, especially if they give any kind of guarantee.    So let's take an example:

Block and reprime the car(almost any shop is going to do this, no matter what you did), spray some high build primer and block again.  Prime and paint(  SS will be at least three coats of color,  BC/CC will be three of each minimum.)  I would guess the shop will have 100 hours into it so far.  If you want a "cut and buff" then add another 30-40.  Paint is all over the map but figure anywhere from $2000 - $4000 for materials and supplies.

So let's assume $50/hr.  Labor is $6500 -$7000 and materials is $3000.  Total is $10,000.

Of course, if you can get a buddy to help out or know someone that has a paint booth and is a painter then you can get a better rate on the hours,  the paint costs what it costs.

In Houston Tx I couldn't find a shop for less than $65/hr.  The one I used charged $75 and it took about 200 hours but the material cost was included in the hourly rate.  They did the outside, not the engine bay, took the fenders, doors, hood and trunk lid off and put back on.  Lost some bolts bumpers,etc, didn't do a good job aligning the parts.  Need to "cut and buff".

You get the idea??

randy73

Awesome, that is what I needed to know. I was trying to get the car pretty much ready to paint, knowing they would strip my primer off and re-primer and then block and sand again.

hemi-hampton

Here in Detroit Michigan area most shops do not charge hourly but quote a price. Most Customers do not want to pay hourly but want a quoted price. Not sure how other states operate. In my opinion quality will depend on how much you want to pay. LEON.