News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Appraised value of a 68 Charger

Started by Draco, May 04, 2017, 01:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco

I am getting ready to renew the insurance on the Charger for this year and I am not sure if I should raise the value. I have not had the car appraised and I am thinking may be a good move. Any thoughts? :shruggy:

Baldwinvette77

i had a car reappraised, the agreed value of it was raised but the insurance cost stayed the same  :shruggy:  wasn't a charger though

Aero426

Quote from: Draco on May 04, 2017, 01:14:56 PM
 I am getting ready to renew the insurance on the Charger for this year and I am not sure if I should raise the value. I have not had the car appraised and I am thinking may be a good move. Any thoughts? :shruggy:

There is no one right answer.    If you think you are underinsured,  it would make sense to increase depending on the cost.

Tell us about the car.    

What value do you currently have on it?    

Do you have agreed value or stated value coverage?  

Will your insurance company require an appraisal?   In my case, I have insured to a conservative value and last year got an automatic bump due to average sale prices. 

johnnycharger

For my insurance  (agreed value) I didn't try to research what my car was worth. Instead I went to the Web to try to find what it would cost for me to buy a new one. Then I added a couple grand for the transportation to get it and bring it home.

Draco

The car is a 68 Hp 383 4sp Burgundy metallic originally, but now is the same colour but has a 75' 440 industrial block bored 70 over with a 4.15 eagle crank bringing up to a 502ci., Edelbrock heads and hydraulic roller valve train. 23 spline 4sp and 8 3/4 fear has been upgraded to a Dana 60, 3.73 with a Truetrac diff. Suspension is a mix of PST, Hotchkis and QA1. Front and rear disc breaks from Dr. Diff. Car was on a rotissie for 5 years for frame connectors, torque boxes, replace metal and complete painting top to bottom. I will get some pictures on here as soon as I figure out how too. :brickwall:

Ryan.C

Quote from: Draco on May 09, 2017, 11:40:50 AM
  The car is a 68 Hp 383 4sp Burgundy metallic originally, but now is the same colour but has a 75' 440 industrial block bored 70 over with a 4.15 eagle crank bringing up to a 502ci., Edelbrock heads and hydraulic roller valve train. 23 spline 4sp and 8 3/4 fear has been upgraded to a Dana 60, 3.73 with a Truetrac diff. Suspension is a mix of PST, Hotchkis and QA1. Front and rear disc breaks from Dr. Diff. Car was on a rotissie for 5 years for frame connectors, torque boxes, replace metal and complete painting top to bottom. I will get some pictures on here as soon as I figure out how too. :brickwall:

Sounds like a sweet car  :coolgleamA:  and costly to replace.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

lloyd3

Could not get that Hagarty program to work at all. What is your car worth? Age-old question. Consider what it would take to replace it in both time (i.e., labor) and parts.  Probably in parts cost alone, you're looking at a minimum of $20K for good usable parts. What is skilled (and now... highly specialized, as in "old-car") labor billing out at these days?  $25 to $50/hour? What are we talking in hours to properly assemble and paint a '68 Charger, 100 hours? 200 hours? More? A minimum of $5000 for labor, and likely more like $10,000. So, now we're at $30 to $35K. Is the car originally equipped or has it been modified? If so, how much? Is it a "base" car or does it have some interesting options? An R/T badge and a 4-speed adds in value, an original six-pack or a hemi throws it into the stratosphere.  Is it a more-desirable color? Red or black or blue seems to command more $$$ than green or white or tan. You must consider all these variables and then decide....... what is it worth to you if it disappeared tomorrow?

What would it really cost to replace it?

303 Mopar

Quote from: lloyd3 on May 17, 2017, 09:51:02 AM
Could not get that Hagarty program to work at all. What is your car worth? Age-old question. Consider what it would take to replace it in both time (i.e., labor) and parts.  Probably in parts cost alone, you're looking at a minimum of $20K for good usable parts. What is skilled (and now... highly specialized, as in "old-car") labor billing out at these days?  $25 to $50/hour? What are we talking in hours to properly assemble and paint a '68 Charger, 100 hours? 200 hours? More? A minimum of $5000 for labor, and likely more like $10,000. So, now we're at $30 to $35K. Is the car originally equipped or has it been modified? If so, how much? Is it a "base" car or does it have some interesting options? An R/T badge and a 4-speed adds in value, an original six-pack or a hemi throws it into the stratosphere.  Is it a more-desirable color? Red or black or blue seems to command more $$$ than green or white or tan. You must consider all these variables and then decide....... what is it worth to you if it disappeared tomorrow?

What would it really cost to replace it?

I think it depends on the amount of damage done.  It seems it always costs more to build/restore a car than to buy one already done.  I tend to look at what '68's are going for that are close to what I have and insure my cars for that amount.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible