News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEED HELP IDENYIFYING MYSTERY POWER STEERING PUMP

Started by skynimbus, May 18, 2017, 08:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skynimbus

Bought an engine from the salvage yard by ups crate mail.  Said it was a complete drop in engine,  came with this mystery power steering pump.  Can't figure out if it's missing a bracket,  can't figure out how it mounts to my water pump housing,  can't even find another like it with a strange bracket on it like this one.  Can anyone recognize what pump this is actually for?  I'm really starting to wonder if it really came with the engine or off something completely different. Fyi,  the engine and pwr steering pump both supposedly came out of a 73  roadrunner , and I'm. Trying to it this 383 into my 73 Dodge charger with that pwr steering pump.  Can I salvage the pump and pulley and maybe just attach different brackets to it?  But even then I don't know what brackets I would even get cause I don't know what kind of pump this is?  Should I just say screw it and buy a new one with all new everything pulley brackets and all?

Nacho-RT74

federal pump... not too comon on 73 and lates cars... they usually got Saginaw.

73 and lates BB got a different bracket setup than pre 72 cars, because the steering pump sit lower into engine bay ( these got also a diff radiator and water pump hosuing due the diff lower outlet side ) . These lates blocks got in fact a boss on block to bolt the steering pump bracket pivot straigh to the block. Belts also run different.

It seems this change was due an air pump installed on C bodies for emission controls, just above the steering pump

sooo, fit a later steering pump assembly ( no matter if federal or saginaw ) on a 383 which never got the boss for the pivot bolt ( because 383 didn't exist on 73 and lates ) seems to be hard to do... would require an earlier bracket assembly, what attaches completelly on water pump housing provisions and higher on engine bay.

just my 2 cents
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Draco

skynimbus

So I take it this pump will not mount at all to my 383 then?

skynimbus

What exactly is this BOSS you mentioned to mount the sliding bolt?

Nacho-RT74

not the sliding bolt but the pivot

note the laaaarge bolt with the spacer, thats the pivot bolt... the mounting boss on block for that bolt is unexistant on pre 72 blocks

You can see in fact the front top steering bracket there, although still missed the rear and front brackets what are bolted straight to the steering pump... which also attachs to the same long bolt, between spacer and block

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Not true. My 1966 stamped 383 with the provisions for the bolt.

JAM72

Quote from: skynimbus on May 18, 2017, 08:54:23 AM
Bought an engine from the salvage yard by ups crate mail.  Said it was a complete drop in engine,  came with this mystery power steering pump.  Can't figure out if it's missing a bracket,  can't figure out how it mounts to my water pump housing,  can't even find another like it with a strange bracket on it like this one.  Can anyone recognize what pump this is actually for?  I'm really starting to wonder if it really came with the engine or off something completely different. Fyi,  the engine and pwr steering pump both supposedly came out of a 73  roadrunner , and I'm. Trying to it this 383 into my 73 Dodge charger with that pwr steering pump.  Can I salvage the pump and pulley and maybe just attach different brackets to it?  But even then I don't know what brackets I would even get cause I don't know what kind of pump this is?  Should I just say screw it and buy a new one with all new everything pulley brackets and all?
Looks correct for a 383 or 400 with water pump inlet on the opposite side - will not work on my 440 substitute into my 72 originally a 400.