News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Break In Question

Started by jlr253, September 26, 2017, 10:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlr253

I have a 71 Dodge Charger with a 383 .  Aprx 2500 miles on rebuilt engine (complete bottom end, heads reconditioned).    Currently the engine is using about a quart of oil every 500 miles.  There are no leaks, and no smoke during idle or at the hit of the throttle.  On a long deacceleration under load you get that occasional burn oil smell.     Is this typical of an engine before it is really broken in or an indicator of issues with the rebuilt?  I have attached pictures of the plugs.  Figured that would be the best place to start.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

cdr

possible intake sucking oil at the valley pan ,valve stem seals or piston ring problems
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bee1971

Quote from: jlr253 on September 26, 2017, 10:01:00 AM
I have a 71 Dodge Charger with a 383 .  Aprx 2500 miles on rebuilt engine (complete bottom end, heads reconditioned).    Currently the engine is using about a quart of oil every 500 miles.  There are no leaks, and no smoke during idle or at the hit of the throttle.  On a long deacceleration under load you get that occasional burn oil smell.     Is this typical of an engine before it is really broken in or an indicator of issues with the rebuilt?  I have attached pictures of the plugs.  Figured that would be the best place to start.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Have someone follow you in another vehicle

As you deaccelerate under load like you mentioned (High vacuum) see if blue smoke is coming out both tailpipes or just one

That will tell you  , tin valley pan for intake manifold , sucking oil

firefighter3931

A defective PCV valve will also oil up the top end.  I would pull the carb and have a peek inside the intake. If it is wet the pcv is suspect. If it is dry the problem is with the intake gasket, valve seals or rings. Have you done a compression test ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jlr253

I have. Everything is bt 110 and 120. Was told there is a very very light blue puff out of the pass side tailpipe after a long downhill