News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Late California GL Color Question:

Started by Captain D, July 30, 2019, 10:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

Just curious if this SEMs vinyl dye is the closest to the late California GL interior color...? Currently, I have the saddle tan shade in mine, but thought that maybe I would slightly change it up with some two-tone variety + leaning towards the end of the series color, perhaps.

Thanks in advance!👍

https://www.amazon.com/Products-15093-Light-Buckskin-Color/dp/B00PH6LG50

Mike DC

The TV series color was somewhere in between the SEM "Light Buckskin" and SEM "Light Oak."  

I personally like the latter color better.  It's near the TV shade but slightly darker.  Not dark enough to be mistaken for the factory tan shade. 

Captain D

Thank you Mike for your reply,

I've been doing some searches & I was curious if the SEMs Light Oak color is the shade that kind of gives off a flesh-like / pink-ish hue tinge to it...

Reason being, I've seen the SEMs Light Buckskin, which looks like an off-white cream color whereas the SEMs Saddle Tan has a dark tan / greenish hint to it. Currently, I have the SEMs Camel color - it's a nice rich tan a shade darker than the Light Oak (not too dark / not overly light). But, I suppose my main concern is that I don't mind taking the interior color a notch lighter, but is the Light Oak that flesh-like / pinkish hue dye that tends to exist on some of these GL replicas...? It's hard to go out & buy $50-$60 of the dye, remove door panels, etc., & eh, not knowing how it'll look in the end, lol. Any pics out there with the SEMs Light Oak in a GL, by chance?

Thanks again for any and all responses.👍

Mike DC

Yes, the Light Oak color has a bit of pink in it.  Not a lot compared to some other light tan car interiors, just more than the other GL colors have.  

The tan color they used on the movie GLs had a lot more pink in it.  (It's more visible in the "Beginning" 2007 movie than the 2005 theater movie.)

There's some pics of an AutoTrader stunt car here.  

http://www.2040-cars.com/Dodge/Charger/1969-charger-general-lee-screen-used-tv-auto-trader-commercial-954167/

This is just speculation, but I think it may be SEM Light Oak vinyl paint on those stunt cars.  I'm thinking the large inner door panel on that car is the Legendary GL light tan color, and the padded upper door pad & whole dashboard area are the SEM Light Oak.  (The TV series color being in between the two.)

Again, just speculation on my part.  Not confirmed.    

Captain D

Thanks again Mike for the clarification. Attached in the series of pictures show how my GL interior currently looks with the SEMs Camel (mid color soft tan) compared to what I've been finding on the screen-used GLs. Granted, I don't mind the shade lighter, but the pink-ish/flesh undertones kinda scare me off a tad...

Captain D

Captain D

Captain D

Captain D

And, one more. This is the color that I'm weary about getting in certain lighting, etc. As you can see, very pinkish / flesh-like in undertones:

Mike DC

Those last couple of pics:  

The SEM Light Oak definitely doesn't look THAT pink.  And it's definitely not that bright/saturated.  It's more of a khaki or pale cardboard color.  

The lighting/photography in those last pics is misleading.  I've seen some movie GLs in person and the color wasn't like that.

Captain D

Thanks again - in viewing the upper door panel pads in the link that you provided, it's not a bad shade by any means & I'll certainly keep it in mind. I may even purchase a can to test spray an item in person just for comparison sakes. At first glance on a computer monitor, the Light Oak doesn't 'seem' to be much different than the Camel - a very subtle change for the amount of work to remove door panels, seats, etc. So, I'll think about it & we'll see what happens, 😉. Thank you again for your time and insight!

c00nhunterjoe

Dude, ive been in your car, its perfect,  dont change it.

Captain D

Thanks man, lol, 👍. Yeah, I agree, it was interesting to consider going with a slightly lighter shade, but everything will be kept 'as is' inside the cab of my GL.

Good material to learn in this thread nonetheless, 😉.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Captain D on August 01, 2019, 01:54:22 PM
And, one more. This is the color that I'm weary about getting in certain lighting, etc. As you can see, very pinkish / flesh-like in undertones:

That color looks like absolute crap, and not realistic of the cars in question from TV. IMO.