News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I rebuild a 2bbl carburetor myself?

Started by Wakko, April 27, 2006, 05:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

I am pretty sure the accelerator pump in my 318 2bbls is gone.  Car will idle and rev up ok but when you put a load on it it will die.  A new carb is $140 so Id really rather make this work myself.  My local buddy has a 4bbl intake and carb but I was hoping to keep the more fuel efficient 2 bbl.  It's in a '77 Fyoorie.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Blown70

Ummmm I would say yes.  But I have done it before.   I do not think you should have a problem....

Tom

dodge freak

The last time I did one was back in 88 and the problem I had was I took it all apart and threw away the old gaskets and stuff I knew would be in the Kit. When I got the repair kit home I then notice that it had 3 differenet gaskets for the discharge tubes[ not sure the right name for it ] and other gaskets it did not need. Landed up have to do it a few time with the different gaskets till it ran right. Not sure if the new repair kits are still like that, but I would get the kit first and then disassemble it and compare the gaskets and use the same type as what you have now. Oh yeah and don't have a drink until you are done.

Todd Wilson

I have only successfully rebuilt 1 - 2 barrel carb over the years and have it work. The rest of the time I would put a kit in the carb and it wouldnt be worth a crap.  I dont know what it is about the 2b carbs but they seem to wear out over time. I've had good luck with the 4 barrel carbs  but the 2's seem to be totally wasted when they are ready for a rebuild.

todd