News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Nationals 2018

Started by matthompson, February 16, 2018, 05:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthompson

I'm planning to go to the Mopar Nationals in Columbus Ohio in August this year. I have never been before.
What can some of you guys that have been tell me. What to expect? Where to stay?, what to take?
Is it worth taking my 69 Charger & just enter the fun show, or just go as a spectator?

Any & all advise will be great.
Thanks in advance.
MRT

Bad B-rad

I think it all depends on a few things,(do you enjoy racing your car/showing your car, do you want to have it judged)
I have been 6-7 times over last 15 years but, I have not been in last 4 years. I enjoy just going as a spectator, and not having to worry about my car.
It is nice to just drive a new vehicle and not worry about truck/ trailer parking, and enjoy the event.
I never really wanted to race my car that far from home, and wasn't sure my 66 was "nice" enough to be on the show field, or I just didn't care enough to show it.
I just enjoyed seeing all the cars and the venders, and I always had my wish list for the swap meet!

But this year I am planning on trying to drive my 69, or my friends 72 D200 truck the whole way(8hrs).
And I may enter it into show field.

I have heard rumors that the Nats has gone down hill and now Chryslers at Carlyle is the best show to go to, but I am sure some other people will chime in, people who have been there in the last few years.
I am looking forward to hearing what they have to say.
As I have always enjoyed myself there, but I have never brought my car there.

matthompson

I don't really race. But I do enjoy car shows, so I was thinking about just entering the non judged part of the show.
But I'm with you on the not wanting to be worrying about my car the whole weekend. & It is a 13 hour drive for me.
I've been to car shows before that I could not enjoy cause I felt like I shouldn't be very far away from my car. (By the way, I've got a fairly nice & reliable General Lee replica). I haven't been going to near as many show the last few years as I used to, I'm being a lot more picky now.  Not sure I would feel that way at an all Mopar show, after all we are all in the Mopar family.

69bfan

We have been attending the Nats since 1987 and only missed the one year,  1994.  First of all, the show is not what it was back in the 90s or early 2000s, but I do not know of any show that can actually say that it has contained the same growth and attendance records if you factor out all of the new cars being registered for the shows and people buying swap meet spaces to park in.
The show last year came off much better for the most part over the past couple of years.  New track owners have seemed to help the situation and hope to see more improvements since last year.  Several people who have been attending for a number of years told me that this past year had the most cars of the older vintage that they have seen in years.  As a vendor, I know that they reduced the initial size of the swap meet area and ended up having to open up more area due to response at the gates for swap meet spots.
With that said, the actual grounds are not as manicured as the aisles at Carlisle.  If it rains any large amount, the roads in the swap meet area turns into a mud bogging mess.  I cannot say what happens for the car show participant area.  The racers are mostly on asphalt.
We have been doing the Nats and Carlisle for so many years, that the thrill is no longer there that it was in the first dozen years or so.  For us, it is just work, but we still have a good time at both venues.  I personally believe that you have two different groups attending the shows.  At Carlisle, it is more of a group looking for NOS and quality used pieces and to see the highly restored cars.  At the Nats, the group is more into the social aspect of meeting up with fellow Mopar owners and possibly cruising with the other cars.  At Carlisle, cars are parked in groups so that if your wanting to view the Chargers, they are pretty much all together.  At the Nats, it is mix of everything thrown together and where they find a spot is where they park.  
Carlisle offers participant voting on the favorite cars.  The Nats has a judged show field on Friday, but once the cars are judged, most of them are moved to there enclosed trailers not to be seen again for the weekend.  I personally feel that the quality of the restored cars at Carlisle is much better than those at the Nats.
If your looking to cruise in your car, most people now are in Heath, but I believe that last year, the local police tightened up the controls in some aspects.  Brice Road is pretty much dead, except for the Burger King parking lot area which has turned into a rowdy burn out area with a lots of the locals in attendance.  
For motels / hotels, the preferred area for the cruising crowd is Heath.  But rooms are at a premium and this late into the process, I would say most rooms have been picked up.  Pinkerington area is relatively nice and offer a safe area with plenty of places to eat.  Brice Road has really gone down and I would not suggest that area.  We stay at the area around the airport.  Room rates are on average with other areas, nice rooms and a safe area without the worries that some areas invite.  Not much to choose from for eating, but we usually stop on the way back to the room.
Personally, if it was my first year attending, I would think about leaving the older car at home and take in what the show has to offer.  There is still a lots to see.  Weather can be stifling hot and humid to pouring rain.  Hope that this answers some of your questions.  If you have more questions, drop me a private message or ask it here on the forum.  We always have a hospitality area set up within our 4000 square foot area tent, so if you need to take a break from the walking and heat, stop by and enjoy a water under the shade of the tent.  Looking forward to seeing everyone in August, it will be here before we know it.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

Bad B-rad

Lots of good advice.

I also must say personally, the cruise night I and my buds attended (last few times were Heath) and that was one of the BEST parts of the trip!!
That's just me, and my thoughts.
Getting to see all the cars and all the "good time" vibes most people have, I only remember one green Cuda with a blower sticking out of the hood getting pulled over by the cops, but he did go way overboard on the old burn out, and had her screaming sideways looking very un-safe, and he even got way with that 2 or 3 times before they pulled him over.
So it seams like at Heath they let you fool around a little bit on the main drag there but with in reason. I really enjoy that night.
I think for me and my buddy the thrill this year may be just making the trip to and fro in one of our vintage cars!

gtx6970

Quote from: 69bfan on February 17, 2018, 11:25:10 AM
We have been attending the Nats since 1987 and only missed the one year,  1994.  First of all, the show is not what it was back in the 90s or early 2000s, but I do not know of any show that can actually say that it has contained the same growth and attendance records if you factor out all of the new cars being registered for the shows and people buying swap meet spaces to park in.
The show last year came off much better for the most part over the past couple of years.  New track owners have seemed to help the situation and hope to see more improvements since last year.  Several people who have been attending for a number of years told me that this past year had the most cars of the older vintage that they have seen in years.  As a vendor, I know that they reduced the initial size of the swap meet area and ended up having to open up more area due to response at the gates for swap meet spots.
With that said, the actual grounds are not as manicured as the aisles at Carlisle.  If it rains any large amount, the roads in the swap meet area turns into a mud bogging mess.  I cannot say what happens for the car show participant area.  The racers are mostly on asphalt.
We have been doing the Nats and Carlisle for so many years, that the thrill is no longer there that it was in the first dozen years or so.  For us, it is just work, but we still have a good time at both venues.  I personally believe that you have two different groups attending the shows.  At Carlisle, it is more of a group looking for NOS and quality used pieces and to see the highly restored cars.  At the Nats, the group is more into the social aspect of meeting up with fellow Mopar owners and possibly cruising with the other cars.  At Carlisle, cars are parked in groups so that if your wanting to view the Chargers, they are pretty much all together.  At the Nats, it is mix of everything thrown together and where they find a spot is where they park.  
Carlisle offers participant voting on the favorite cars.  The Nats has a judged show field on Friday, but once the cars are judged, most of them are moved to there enclosed trailers not to be seen again for the weekend.  I personally feel that the quality of the restored cars at Carlisle is much better than those at the Nats.
If your looking to cruise in your car, most people now are in Heath, but I believe that last year, the local police tightened up the controls in some aspects.  Brice Road is pretty much dead, except for the Burger King parking lot area which has turned into a rowdy burn out area with a lots of the locals in attendance.  
For motels / hotels, the preferred area for the cruising crowd is Heath.  But rooms are at a premium and this late into the process, I would say most rooms have been picked up.  Pinkerington area is relatively nice and offer a safe area with plenty of places to eat.  Brice Road has really gone down and I would not suggest that area.  We stay at the area around the airport.  Room rates are on average with other areas, nice rooms and a safe area without the worries that some areas invite.  Not much to choose from for eating, but we usually stop on the way back to the room.
Personally, if it was my first year attending, I would think about leaving the older car at home and take in what the show has to offer.  There is still a lots to see.  Weather can be stifling hot and humid to pouring rain.  Hope that this answers some of your questions.  If you have more questions, drop me a private message or ask it here on the forum.  We always have a hospitality area set up within our 4000 square foot area tent, so if you need to take a break from the walking and heat, stop by and enjoy a water under the shade of the tent.  Looking forward to seeing everyone in August, it will be here before we know it.

Sums it up pretty well.

For me , I still prefer the Nats over Carlisle.

chargerboy69

I went roughly 15 years in a row but have passed the last 4 years or so.

In my opinion the track is dumpy and run down.  Also, not a huge choice of food or even restrooms.  They used to bring in restroom trailers and those would get nasty real quick.

Since the track is in the middle of nowhere, it can be quite a drive. Booking a room this late, Heath will probably be full.  May have to settle for something along 70 on the east side of Columbus.

Cruising in Heath is really the highlight of the weekend. Parking at The Red Lobster, going in for a quick bite to eat, set your lawn chairs along the main road and watch the cars roll through. 

After going to Carlisle, I do not see myself going back until they move the show. I would love to see them move the show back to Indy as they have a great facility, but I do not see that happening anytime soon.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

RIDELIKEHELL

I'm driving down with BIGSUGAR & our American friends from Detroit on the Thursday..virgin here  :lol:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Ghoste

Been going since the first one, couldn't stop now if I wanted and I don't want to anyway.  69bfan summed it up pretty accurately.

buckeyecharger

Don't miss the cruise! It is the best part of the weekend. Start at the Dodge dealership in Heath and then drive south. It's a lot of fun!

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: buckeyecharger on March 29, 2018, 10:25:15 PM
Don't miss the cruise! It is the best part of the weekend. Start at the Dodge dealership in Heath and then drive south. It's a lot of fun!

Are you friends with Mike Stewart?
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73