News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your opinion on 440 carbutetor

Started by ChargerRob, November 25, 2017, 02:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRob

Hello DC.com, It's been a long time since I last posted. I still have my 1969 Charger R/t with a basically stock 440. I want to replace the carburetor but i'm not sure which would be best to replace with. I'm debating on either a Holley Quick fuel SL-750-VS or a Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 800 cfm. I value the advise of my fellow DC.com members. Please let me know your opinions. Thank you in advance.
By the way, I plan on keeping and using the stock unsilenced aircleaner.  ;)
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have been running an Edelbrock 800 Thunder on my 440 for the past 3 seasons.  No troubles.  Decent right out of the box...

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Simonic

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 25, 2017, 03:24:02 PM
I have been running an Edelbrock 800 Thunder on my 440 for the past 3 seasons.  No troubles.  Decent right out of the box...

I agree :2thumbs:
Mopar owner in the UK..

69wannabe

A good holley 3310 vacuum secondary 750 cfm would work good on a stock 440. The eddy 800 would be good too I suppose on a stock engine, for performance I like the holley style double pumper carbs (holley, quick fuel, proform, AED, demon) but with a stock engine the vacuum secondary may be a better choice with a holley style carb. I tried a 750 eddy carb on my old ford truck with a 390 and never could get it to run good and also tried a 750 eddy on my 383 when that engine was in my car and never could get it to run good on there either so I went to the holley style carbs and never looked back from there.

As long as it runs good and you like it then that's all that counts, the eddy will bolt back in place of the original carter without making alot of changes here and there and will actually look more original than a holley style carb so it just depends on what you want on there I guess. Good luck with your carb swap!!!

Sublime/Sixpack

If you still have the original AVS, I'd rebuild and use it.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

c00nhunterjoe

What is currently on it, and what is your desire to replace it? As stated above, depending on what you have, it might be worth rebuilding what you have.

ChargerRob

Hello All,  I actually have the original Carter AVS that came on the car. I was told that upgrading the carburetor would improve the overall driveabiltity and performance of my charger. I had the carb rebuilt a few years ago, but it's never been quite right.
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

c00nhunterjoe

Could you give some more detail into what is not quite right? Could help in diagnosis

Sublime/Sixpack

Sounds as though you may have had the wrong guy rebuild it. :shruggy:    They're good carburetors and simple to work on. If all is right with it you should have good driveability and performance for a stock 440.
But that's not to say there isn't something better available.

c00nhunterjoe

Depending on what the symptoms are, it may or may not be carb related.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on November 26, 2017, 08:43:14 PM
Depending on what the symptoms are, it may or may not be carb related.

Good point.