News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 RT Hemi

Started by jww426, November 26, 2017, 12:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jww426

Hello all!

Theres a 1968 Hemi RT for sale but it has a 727 auto, 3:23 gears, and an 8 3/4 rear.
Didn't all Hemi cars come with a Dana?
thanks!
JWW
JWWIV

BLK 68 R/T

Nope. Automatic transmission cars received the 8 3/4. Dana 60 was a 4 speed thing behind the 440 and hemi. Except the 69 1/2 440 6 pack/6 barrel cars they got the Dana 60 as standard equipment behind both transmissions.

maxwellwedge

And...... you could get a 4:10 Dana with automatic as on option in 69-71 on 440 (B&E body) and Hemi cars

jww426

Ahh....the amazing, bizarre, cool, and varied options of 1960's Dodge cars!
JWWIV

cavemanno1

Could you get A/C with a hemi?

BLK 68 R/T

cavemanno1

Thanks,that's what I thought but wasn't sure!

jww426

I don't know why they offered AC with the 440 anyway. The big blocks threw out too much heat.
Maybe it was OK at night or in the rain...
JWWIV

375instroke

What do you mean?  My '69 Coronet R/T and '68 Charger R/T ran fine with A/C on in SoCal summers.

BDF

Kern Dog

Too much heat??? To the tires, maybe...

jww426

Ha!
So-Cal is not the humid swamp of Virginia in summer!
Old AC works fine only in dry climates.
My 67 Corvette 427 had AC. What a joke!
JWWIV

c00nhunterjoe

My 460 ford had ice cold ac. Cubic inches do not dictate ac. And cdr has a 500" stroker with ice cold ac as well.

Bronzedodge

The AC in my 69 works great.  High load, high humidity, 41 deg discharge air!
Mopar forever!

jww426

Maybe I just have bad luck......
JWWIV

Sixt8Chrgr

Both AC's in my 68 and 69 worked well. Not as good as my 2014 Silverado LOL but still worked fairly well.

c00nhunterjoe

Sounds like the condenser isnt getting enough airflow. In the summer heat, try misting the condenser with your garden hose and see if the vent temp drops. Should be pretty much instant change. If it does, thats your problem. A set of gauges on the system will also help verify the problem.