News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So, what is this spring for and does anybody make them. (found them)

Started by green69rt, November 17, 2017, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

This spring in the front wind, rear channel.   To what does it attach?

Moparparts

Quote from: green69rt on November 17, 2017, 06:01:28 PM
This spring in the front wind, rear channel.   To what does it attach?

That is the up stop wedge used on later built 69's and 70 B The spring attaches to the small tab in the molding channel but it appears that your spring is too large. A similar small fine coil spring is used on the front door rear track wedges on a 70-72 E-Body but their spring is too long. It takes a very small one similiar to the internal foot applied park brake spring in the 68-70 B and 70 E bodies. I don't have a loose one here to compare right now but those may interchange and mega parts has those

green69rt

Quote from: Moparparts on November 18, 2017, 02:33:36 PM
Quote from: green69rt on November 17, 2017, 06:01:28 PM
This spring in the front wind, rear channel.   To what does it attach?

That is the up stop wedge used on later built 69's and 70 B The spring attaches to the small tab in the molding channel but it appears that your spring is too large. A similar small fine coil spring is used on the front door rear track wedges on a 70-72 E-Body but their spring is too long. It takes a very small one similiar to the internal foot applied park brake spring in the 68-70 B and 70 E bodies. I don't have a loose one here to compare right now but those may interchange and mega parts has those
Ah, that helps.   Now that you drew my attention to it, I can see the tab inside the channel.  It has straightened out and the end of the spring slipped off the tab.  That's why the spring is hanging out of the channel.   As I was moving the channel around the spring broke off so I need two them, the other channel only had the end of the spring left.  Seems that these are anti-rattle springs that hold the wedge in one position till the wedge in the guide hits it  and makes it move.  I think I'll run over to Lowes or Ace hardware and see if they have something that will work.

Thanks for the info.

green69rt

Took a trip to ACE Hardware and Lowes today to see if I could find something to use.  Found something really close at ACE.   They have all sorts of springs in those tiny drawers that you have to pick thru.  Got two different lengths, just to be sure.  Pic #1

But the little metal tab inside the channel broke off when I tried to move it.  I put a pop rivet thru the hole Pic #2.

Hooked the end over and spread the end of the rivet out to try to make the spring catch better.  Seems to work OK.  Pic #3.