News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building Frankenstein?

Started by benzcharger, May 06, 2007, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benzcharger

I have just bought a 70 Charger and I am having a problem finding fenders for it. I was wondering what I need to put a 69 front clip on my car. I know it wont be original or worth something but I just want a clean and fun bad ass driver. I have located all the parts from the doors back I just cant find fenders and a bumper. I know of a guy who has a set of fenders, hood, and bumper for a 69. I want to know if I also need a rad. support and if I need to change my headlamp assemblies. If I am missing anything please let me know before I buy anything. I really want to get this car going. I saved this car from the graveyard and I do restorations and bodywork for a living. I have only worked on a couple of Mopars in the past (Roadrunners), mostly GMs and Fords. Thanks Ben

benzcharger

Thanks looks like I am going to fabricate most of my fenders.

Mike DC

In the "Dukes of Hazzard" fan community, people have been buying 1970 Chargers and intending to make them look like '69s for decades. 

Unfortunately it's a lot harder than it looks.  With '69 Chargers, "bolt-on" simply does not guarantee you a cheap & local way to get the stuff.  It really does not.  Even if you think you're willing to accept a lot more rust/dents than "most guys," these parts are probably gonna be coming from across the nation and at great expense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'68-69 cars are basically one set of bolt-ons for the front clip, and 1970 Chargers are another.  Fenders, bumpers, hood, valances, bumper brackets, grille plastic, metal grille frames, pop-up headlight assembly parts . . . it's ALL different between the '68/69 and the 1970 models.

The welded-on front stuff interchanges between '68-70, at least in the street-car functional sense.  But you should be aware that some people end up swapping radiator supports (welded to the unibody) on some cars just to run the larger stock radiators.