News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini Starter = great investment

Started by 1BAD68, June 16, 2010, 08:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 Charger RT

QuoteAny 440 guys using them?
I think they work great.  I bought mine from 440 Source.  When I installed it, there was an issue with the electrical attach point extension touching the block so I just removed the extension thingy and everything worked fine.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Cooter

Local NAPA. Works great. Even get those rebuild kits online to rebuild 'em. Love my mini starter. I was swapping these out way back in 1998. Once I had a core and decided to see if it would fit my 440.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: chargd72 on April 30, 2013, 12:27:50 PM

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 30, 2013, 11:36:58 AM
this will be my new upgrade....

You revived a year old thread to tell us that?  :slap:

j/k.  Have at it, man.

:icon_smile_big: Oh yeah, old threads are nice when you do a search instead of starting new threads then folks gave us a hard time (in a good way) about not using the search function  :icon_smile_big: :cheers:

1974dodgecharger

I removed the starter finally that's after I unbolted the header and the valve cover...faking hooker headers get in the way of spark plugs and starter removal.

Finn

Come to think of it, as long as you have the hookers off fix the clearance issue with the header bolt to the right of the forward pipe. It will save you SO MUCH headache, especially if you use crush gaskets.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Finn on May 01, 2013, 05:56:54 PM
Come to think of it, as long as you have the hookers off fix the clearance issue with the header bolt to the right of the forward pipe. It will save you SO MUCH headache, especially if you use crush gaskets.

u mean bolt closest to firewall? that was half off explains my exhaust leak  ::)

how do i fix that? mine are all rusted up hookers.....

Finn

No the second bolt from the front of the car. The stock bend on the pipe comes in a steep angle and it makes it really hard to get the bolt to thread properly.  I took mine to a shop and had them cut off the pipe about 6 inches down from the flange and rework the bend so it comes in steeper, giving the bolt more space on the right hand side of the pipe shown in the picture.

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1974dodgecharger

Finn,
Gotcha what I did with that one was obtain a shorter bolt to bolt it on I remember that one.  What's worse is the no 8 spark plug the passenger closest to firewall the hookers block access to that plug I had to buy a special spark plug header remova
Socket for that one,

Silver R/T

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 17, 2010, 05:58:17 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 16, 2010, 08:45:29 PM
Any 440 guys using them?  Do they crank over fast and have that old mopar starter wine?

No...   there's no annoying whine followed by a half a cough and then a repeated attempt to start it 3 times while the chebbie guys laugh.   

I only have to touch the key a little once she's been running for the day and it fires right up.

So true. I remember last year we went to local car cruise and guy's Challenger had overheated starter that just wouldn't budge. Owner was embarrassed and frustrated.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1974dodgecharger

I think we all get embarrassed when our chargers don't start.  I know guys at work anticipate me starting her her up after getting done shift work and when it dont start they are dissapointed

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 02, 2013, 10:37:01 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 17, 2010, 05:58:17 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 16, 2010, 08:45:29 PM
Any 440 guys using them?  Do they crank over fast and have that old mopar starter wine?

No...   there's no annoying whine followed by a half a cough and then a repeated attempt to start it 3 times while the chebbie guys laugh.   

I only have to touch the key a little once she's been running for the day and it fires right up.

So true. I remember last year we went to local car cruise and guy's Challenger had overheated starter that just wouldn't budge. Owner was embarrassed and frustrated.

Cooter

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 02, 2013, 10:37:01 PM

Everybody always asks me why I'm ALWAYS in some form of "Work"" clothes at car shows. This is why. half the time I'm either under someoine else's junk, or under my own. They are machines and they break at the Worst times. I don't worry too much bout the Chebby guys.
They really hate it when the ol General Lee takes their thunder at the car shows anyway.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ChargedNJ

I know i'm bringing back an old thread, but i have to give it props, as its the reason i bought the mini which arrived yesterday.  Not in the car yet, but im already absolutely thrilled with the size and weight difference!  Best $75 ever spent!!!

BLUE68RT4ME

Mine has been great ever since I bought it!  You'll love it!   :yesnod:  :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Captain D

...re-igniting any updated reviews on the DB Electrical starters to see if anyone would like to share, just out of curiosity...? I've read some reviews elsewhere that have stated that these starters may not fit the 383 big blocks  :scratchchin:. I'm thinking about running it in my 69' Charger / 383 since it is advertised as fitting such (despite some weird reviews). Any latest updates, feedback, fitting issues, performance issues / longevity reports, etc. with the DB Electrical starters and anyone install em' on your 383 big block?

XH29N0G

I'll be an experiment, but need to wait for it to arrive.  I ordered one a few days ago and hope it arrives by next weekend to install.  I'll post if it works.  If there is an issue, I'll be  :brickwall: for not catching the issues with the fits on the low deck engines.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

JR

Ive never used that DB brand of mini starter before, so I cant vouch for them specifically.

I can say Ive been using a junkyard mini starter (from a late 90s Ram or van or something) for years and it's been GREAT! Faster starting, less weight on the nose, more room for the header clearance, etc..

Unless you're going for a 100 point restoration, there is no downside to a mini starter. I'll never go back!

Based on that picture at the top of the thread, I cant imagine any possible clearance issues you could run into. Unless you have some full length headers. Even then you should have more room leftover after installation.

Sorry to not be more helpful, update this thread after you install it!
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

69wannabe

Shouldn't be any difference between putting one of these on a 383 or 440 I wouldn't think. I used the same starter (mini) when I swapped out the 383 from my charger and swapped in the 440 and it's still on there today. It crapped out on me one time about 5 years back and I had it rebuilt by my local starter guy and it's been good every since. It has been on my car for well over 10 years and was a great addition. I have a couple of extras on the shelf in case of a failure since my starter guy sold me a couple for 40 bucks each, for that price it was well worth it for two of them......

68X426

The DB has been great for me for 3 years.  I 100% recommend DB.  Great fit with my Hemi and TTIs.

The high end high price PowerMaster was a piece of shit.  It failed miserable, the case cracked and literally fell about in pieces, and they would not back their product.

DB is awesome.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

XH29N0G

Experiment worked.  The DB starter fit no problem on a 1970 383 with hooker competition headers.  The DB starter slipped right in from the top (steering column pulled back) and worked.  One day and counting.  It is very small - I was worried it was the right one they sent.  If I run into issues I will let you know.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

A383Wing

I have the mini starter on my 383 as well, no issues at all.....I did have to re-route my main positive cable so it didn't bind anywhere.

I just got one from a parts store with a lifetime warranty

Bryan