News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many of you are running Solid Roller cams in your 440 vs Hydraulic Rollers?

Started by Harper, December 10, 2017, 11:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

I would even consider going with the nice stroker rotating assembly topped with your stock heads to save money interim if you cant build it start to finish. The cost for a 440 thru 572 rotating assembly will end up being the same. That way, as russ said, you are wasting the least money throughout the project (ie doing things twice) as even your stock heads are going to require a fair chunk of change to rebuild properly. You keep throwing 12k out there, but dont forget you will need a new trans and converter (3k) and a new rear( 2-3k) as well. And not to change subjects on this post, but since you are literally starting from scratch on the rear, consider doing a dana 60 over the 8.75 since you dont even have a housing at this point.

Harper

:o yep i can feel my bank account dipping down below the redline lol
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

PRH

Obviously, it will depend on the overall condition of the head cores you use, and what you have to pay for machine shop services in your area........ But I have to believe even with a pretty clean set of BB cores, after they've gotten a valve job, maybe some guide work, flat milled, valve spring upgrade, etc, that at best you would be a few hundred $$$ away from a set of Stealth heads for $999.

When I do them, and they get new "everything"(rebuilt to OE type specs), they cost about the same as a set of Stealths, depending on exactly what you use for parts.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

Harper

PRH,
i did do some reading up on the edelbrock heads today, the indys, and the stealth's ported and unported. Yes i agree. Aluminum heads will be the way i go. If not just for the weight savings. That alone is worth a few hundred bucks to me.

i wonder what the price different between a equally set of prepped Edelbrocks are to the stealths?
1968 Dodge Charger

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Harper

1968 Dodge Charger

Harper

QuoteBuild a good short block with good aftermarket rods and pistons.  put a piston in it today, for tomorrows cylinder heads (i.e. TF 240s).  That would be a zero deck piston with enough valve relief/dish to give you 10.5:1 CR with 75 cc chambers.  This is where you spend today's $.  Then slap the rest of it together on the cheap.  Good heads and cam later

You'll still waste a bunch doing the slow build.

I didn't realize what TF240 meant, sorry. i will research these heads as well. I know TF made some high ports for the Ford 302 and they were top notch from long ago. I actually bought a set never in stalled them sold them and then went to blue thunder oval port 460 heads and went straight to the 460 ci build instead.

I dont want to repeat myself, so I will do my research and buy once this go round. thanks for the suggestion.
1968 Dodge Charger