News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the fastest 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile 68, 69,70 Charger in here?

Started by Harper, December 17, 2017, 12:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harper

Who has the fastest "street driven" 68, 69, 70 Charger in these forums? please include 1/8 mile times, speed, and 60ft? :o
what engine?
what heads?
what cam hydraulic or solid?
what rear end gear?

is it unreasonable to shoot for mid to low 6's (in the 1/8 mile) on motor out of a daily driver? :2thumbs: (yes i am a dreamer but why not, its only science right?)
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

cdr

not be a daily driver & run low 10's in the 1/4, but money can buy anything
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

alfaitalia

Low 6s....really! Cool....however.....using my usual quarter mile calculator (lots of variables involved of course) I recon, to get a 4000lb car of average drag and good traction down the quarter in about 6.25seconds would need about 3000 horses (at the wheels....so about 3500 at the crank with an average 14% loss between crank and contact patch)....and you would cross the line at about 212 mph. So no ...not really a very practical DD!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Harper

dude there is no way a car would have to be 3000 hp :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :lol:
i mean low 6's in the 1/8 bro...

does a 69 charger weight 4000lbs? if so i need to put mine on a diet lol
1968 Dodge Charger

Harper

cdr,
i see your cars picture at the track, whats your best 1/8 mile? if you dont mind sharing please sir :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger

Lennard

Mid to low 6 seconds in the quarter mile would be a purpose built race car, not a daily driver. My brother in law races a pro mod with about 3500 hp and goes 6.1, so it's safe to say that you won't find a daily driver doing that.

https://m.facebook.com/hemiracingteam/

Harper

i mean 6's in the 1/8 ppl i mean seriously ::)

low 10's in quarter

Lennard,
thats a seriously baddass car... and it popped up about Lizzy Musi, she is gonna be killer next season. 
1968 Dodge Charger

Lennard

1/8 of a mile drag race. :rotz: The burn out takes longer than the race.

Yeah,  it's a nice toy.  :thumbs:

Harper

Quote1/8 of a mile drag race. rotz The burn out takes longer than the race.

lol well yea...If i had John Force Sponsors and funds I could afford to hang it all out for the entire 1/4

1968 Dodge Charger

JR

Making a quick 1/8th mile drag car out of a 4000lb charger is possible.

Making a daily drivable charger is easily possible.

But if you can't afford to let it all hang out in a 1/4 mile, you DEFINITELY can't afford to build a streetable, sub 7 second 1/8th mile 69 Charger either, right?

You're talking major $$$ to make a 2 ton Charger run that quick and be streetable.

Not trying to be a prick, it just isn't a realistic goal if money is a concern.

Honestly, if I wanted to run the 1/8th mile, I would build a dedicated, lightweight drag car, and just enjoy the charger as a street car. You can build a fast, lightweight fox body or GM anything for peanuts.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Harper

JR,
I guess the question I should have asked should have been
"who in here makes the occasional trip to the track and drives their car on the street and can run mid to low 6's"?

i know its not the everyday person who drives their charger and expects it to perform when they do the occasional track pass, however its not IMPOSSIBLE to do it and NOT impossible to do it on a budget, js

yes it would be easier to build a lightweight car for a track car, but why, when you can have the best of both worlds? I don't expect to set the world on fire, but their is no need whatsoever to build a street charger with a big block that can only manage a 10 sec 1/8 mile pass either.
ppl build street cars all the time that "when they want" can have a set of sticky tires bolted on and wont embarrass themselves at the track for a little test and tune.

i guess I will have to just do what i want and show the time slips so it can been seen that it is possible. Maybe i will not achieve mid to low 6's, 7's will work as well. I just figured since most in here are hard core mopar guys that surely someone has gone mid 6's with a (factory numbers no my figures- 3256 base model V8 Charger or -3646 lb Charger R/T bb) street/track car.  surely a 69 charger with aluminum heads, intake, water pump, radiator,  etc etc doesnt weight more than a Factory Base model with all of that aluminum) surely it does not weight 4000 lbs?

as a side note the factory 426 hemi charger in 69 as tested by Road and Track and car and Driver ran nearly identical speed and time as the 440 cars 13.9 ET in quarter at 101 MPH  at 375 factory rated hp, so I can see a mildy built 440 car putting out 450 to 550 hp and being able to run a mid 6 in the 1/8 mile...surely?
I may be wrong but usually science does not lie.
1968 Dodge Charger

JR

You're underestimating the weight of a b body.

A stock, full steel, RB powered b body weighs around 4250 wet.

You can always shed pounds of course (Im spending alot of effort to do this myself), but that's what you're starting with.

I'd guess the easiest way to shed weight and be streetable would be a twin turbo modern hemi, but that's outside my expertise. I'll let others weigh in there.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

funknut

If you're just after big power numbers what about a 1000 HP turbo small block mopar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhkkRRr78lY

I'm sure it's not cheap.  R3 race block.  Would save you some weight over a BB.  Hard to read the dyno results, but looks like 700 lb-ft at 4500 and revs out to 5900.

Turbo cams don't usually have a ton of overlap so it might actually be drivable at lower revs.

alfaitalia

Quote from: Harper on December 17, 2017, 01:14:54 PM
i mean 6's in the 1/8 ppl i mean seriously ::)

low 10's in quarter

Lennard,
thats a seriously baddass car... and it popped up about Lizzy Musi, she is gonna be killer next season. 

Sorry...misread It....no one does eighths in the UK....seems a bit pointless to me. Obviously my figures were for the proper quarter !
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Harper on December 17, 2017, 12:14:32 PM
Who has the fastest "street driven" 68, 69, 70 Charger in these forums?

Oh boy. The first liar ain't gonna have a chance.  :smilielol:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

BDF

Lennard

The two fastest street cars of the forum are still being build at the moment by CB.  :stirthepot:

Harper

QuoteWaiting for the fibber... popcrn
:lol: :lol:

QuoteSorry...misread It....no one does eighths in the UK....seems a bit pointless to me. Obviously my figures were for the proper quarter !
no problem. Yea unfortunately they have never been really big on 1/4 mile in my area. All of my local tracks run 1/8. I have pulled my car to Bowling Green to run 1/4, Reynolds Ga, Montgomery,Bradenton Florida but thats a long ways for a regular run. My closest local track is still 1.5 hours away we had one within 40 minutes but it closed. Sad day!!  
1968 Dodge Charger

RallyeMike

I can cover an 1/8th mile in 2.65 seconds   :icon_smile_big:  but it's a lowly 3rd gen
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

alenglish

>You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move
>and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct
tape.
>

c00nhunterjoe

Both of mine will run low 10s in the 1/4 and high 6 1/8 mile. Both are street driven but not daily drivers.

Harper

very nice c00nhunterjoe!

thats all i am wanting, something that is somewhat fast and enjoyable. I just dont want some lil punk pulling up on me in a slowmarro and getting beat. Of course i could always pack a bottle for those punks. :)
1968 Dodge Charger

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Harper on December 17, 2017, 08:33:33 PM
very nice c00nhunterjoe!

thats all i am wanting, something that is somewhat fast and enjoyable. I just dont want lil punk pulling up on me in a slowmarro and getting beat. Of course i could always pack a bottle for those punks. :)

Im trying to post time slips but the site wont let me. Error message says i already posted my reply. Getting frustrated but both will run your numbers of 10 second 1/4 or 6 second 1/8. Not daily drivers. Not for the faint of heart either. Street driven but essentially race cars. The black 63 is a factory ordered super stocker. The 69 is a bone stock chassis with a ridiculous drivetrain stuffed into it.

Kern Dog

Quote from: JR on December 17, 2017, 04:12:40 PM
You're underestimating the weight of a b body.

A stock, full steel, RB powered b body weighs around 4250 wet.

Maybe with YOU sitting in it.
My 70 weighed 3850 without the back seat. It is all steel except for aluminum heads and intake.