News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fitting steering coupler to gear

Started by Dino, July 16, 2023, 12:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

This is as far as I got it with some love taps. The column to dash bracket is loose. Do I need to pull the coupler onto the steering gear shaft from the other side somehow?

20230716_134750.jpg

20230716_135656.jpg
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

I've commented before how I have had difficulty slipping couplers onto steering boxes.
Some dudes comment how I've never had trouble, mine just slid right on easily.
I have only had 2 or 3 in my many years slip on without using a hammer. I've aligned the master spline to the notch. I've cleaned the shaft and the coupler. I've used engine assembly lube, oil, chassis grease and even dry. It is always a guess whether they slip on with some gentle taps or do I need a pickle fork and a thin hammer? I hate the thin steel retainer that they had to secure the grease boot because tapping on the end of the coupler always damaged the damn thing. I got to where I left it loose and tapped on the coupler housing first until it was in place, then struggled to attach that crappy retainer. Later, I bought a few of those neoprene coupler covers from Steer and Gear. Expensive but they do work.

histoy

I've used those coupler covers too.  In fact I still have 2 spares in my parts cabinet.

Dino

Success! I grabbed the coupler and wiggled it while putting as much pressure toward the box as I could, and it slid on! I needed 1/8" more and a screw driver through the hole and some more wiggling line it up. The pin went in with a few taps. Clamp is on to keep everything in place. One of these days I'll find something that fits easily.  :lol:

20230716_191025.jpg
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.