News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger project

Started by INTMD8, January 21, 2018, 02:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPR

Keep them both.
Sell a kidney, you only need one of those.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

INTMD8

I'm finally getting to work on this :D

I pulled the dash as it was painted (imo) too glossy. Ordered suede lacquer and also interior dye for plastic parts.

Steering wheel is toast. Replace with reproduction or send out for restoration?

This will be the first of a million questions of "what is this?".  The two black sheetmetal parts? No idea what those are for so any help is appreciated.

I noticed on my (no sold :( ) 68, there are metal trim pieces behind the interior rocker trim that appear to hold the carpet down. Is there a name or part number for those?

Last questions for now- My wing window frames are pitted. Do you think it would be better to have them re-chromed or buy new reproductions? (I see some at Tony's parts). 

Also, it appears the wing window seals are new but thttp://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/board,1.0.htmlhere is a gap between the glass and seal at the pivot point. Is a certain brand of seal considered the best?

The last photo for no reason is our bulldog Bruno :D

Thank you for any help!

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Obi Ben Dover

Picture 5 is a rear console bracket.

Wingnut426

Dash should NEVER be shiny. You will be blinded by the sun and oncoming lights.  :Twocents: WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

INTMD8

Console bracket, check. Any idea on the l shaped piece?

10-4 on the shiny dash, that's why I took it out.

INTMD8

I stripped the dash down today so I can repaint it and restore the vin tag.

Also broke down the steering column and noticed it is bent.  

Not sure how that would happen, any suggestions on straightening? I'm thinking of just putting one end in a vice and do some pulling.

INTMD8

Seems I did a terrible job of updating this.

I am excited however as the car is nearly completed. 

Just a few small details such as wiper arms, alignment, cut and buff. Also need to swap ring and pinion from 3.54 to 4.10. 

Did a ton of work on this, short list is-

All trim polished, AMD glass, new fuzzies, new weatherstrip, converted to 3 speed wiper in order to swap from single carb to dual 4's and chrome dome. Painted booster/master and radiator, finished brakes, new wheels/tires, installed complete interior, dynamat, bluetooth module for stereo. Had the wrong flywheel so swapped that out. Motor mounts put the engine to high so cut/welded those to correct. Had new parking brake cables made and got that working. Lots of wiring. Re-tensioned headliner.  Had dash repainted, dyed everything else to match. Forgot the rest! Runs and drives great though and -everything- works :)

Thanks to everyone for help along the way. Especially Richard for all the parts and advice.  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

Niiiiice.  The whole thing. 

-----------------------

Can we get the story on the front buckets w/integrated belts? 

What were they sourced from? 
How are they mounted on the floor? 
Integrating the OEM headrests was a really slick move to help downplay the change. 

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

INTMD8

Thanks!  I know some may not like the seats and I prefer the look of originals as well but really dislike the functionality of the stock shoulder belts (and them hanging down from the ceiling when not in use).

The seats are from a 2013 Chrysler convertible, so other than having built in belts they have a lever for flip forward/rear seat access. Also 6 way power, driver lumbar.

I removed the original brackets from the rails and used rearend/axle retainer "t-bolts" through the rails to mount the inner in stock locations.  Sheetmetal bracket on outside rail to move mounting points inboard to match holes in floor. Rear of rails connected with heavy gauge square tube.  Grade 8 bolt through subframe connector and rear square tube.

(Of course there could be a lot of force on these in a collision). Didn't think it would get much better than being anchored through the subframe connector.

As for the headrests, the 69's were wider post to post so I just dropped a hole saw through the top of the seat frames in the correct locations, made a support for the lower bushings and used all the original hardware.

doctor4766

Great job.
Looks fantastic  :2thumbs:
Gotta love a '69

Mike DC

QuoteInsert Quote
Thanks!  I know some may not like the seats and I prefer the look of originals as well but really dislike the functionality of the stock shoulder belts (and them hanging down from the ceiling when not in use).

The seats are from a 2013 Chrysler convertible, so other than having built in belts they have a lever for flip forward/rear seat access. Also 6 way power, driver lumbar.

I removed the original brackets from the rails and used rearend/axle retainer "t-bolts" through the rails to mount the inner in stock locations.  Sheetmetal bracket on outside rail to move mounting points inboard to match holes in floor. Rear of rails connected with heavy gauge square tube.  Grade 8 bolt through subframe connector and rear square tube.

(Of course there could be a lot of force on these in a collision). Didn't think it would get much better than being anchored through the subframe connector.

As for the headrests, the 69's were wider post to post so I just dropped a hole saw through the top of the seat frames in the correct locations, made a support for the lower bushings and used all the original hardware.

That looks like a really nice setup.  

It's smart to tie the seats into the subframe connectors.  The front seat mounts figure heavily into the entire floorpan design on modern vehicles.  These days each seat's 4 mounting holes have a much bigger footprint than the 1969 stuff too.  The whole seat assy comes out feeling way more rigid on modern stuff.  

The metal frames in the 1969 seats are scary-weak even without having to serve as anchors for the shoulder belts.  That has been demonstrated by people getting rear-ended in old Mopars.  The stock seatbacks easily bend back when they shouldn't.  It was typical for the period.  

Did you happen to check how heavy those 2013 seats are?  It's usually a big sore spot for modern seat swaps.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: INTMD8 on May 27, 2019, 07:47:24 PM

Fantastic job!  :yesnod: I prefer the older/original look as well and was surprised at how well those integrate into the old interior. Very nice!  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mytur Binsdirti

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

INTMD8

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  :cheers:

chargermick

Absolutely stunning! Your workmanship is top shelf.

INTMD8

Thank you.

And Mike I forgot to answer your question.  I didn't weigh them but the new seats are definitely heavier than the originals.  Just a guess but I would say around 20lbs per seat.

Mike DC

You mean the new seats might be 20 lbs heavier than the old seats, I assume?  

The stock '69 buckets weigh something like 50 lbs apiece.  Surprisingly heavy for what they are.

INTMD8

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 29, 2019, 09:34:25 AM

You mean the new seats might be 20 lbs heavier than the old seats, I assume?  

The stock '69 buckets weigh something like 50 lbs apiece.  Surprisingly heavy for what they are.

Yes that would be my guess. New seats probably 20lbs more than old, just by feel. Of course the belts are included so that would be offset a little by removing the belts/retainers from the ceiling but still heavier for sure.

They made a manual version of the same seat which I would guess is lighter but I was not able to find a pair.

WHITE AND RED 69

Car looks awesome! Love the ghost stripe   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

INTMD8

Thank you, I can't take credit for the stripe, that was the idea of the previous owner  :2thumbs:

Anyone want to guess the weight?  3/4 tank of fuel. No spare or jack.   

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

VegasCharger