News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did you have to cut anything to install TKO600 or T56 in 1968 Charger

Started by Blakcharger440, February 23, 2018, 11:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I am looking at buying a TKO600 or T56 for my 1968 Charger. Anybody here had any experience installing one in a 68-70 B Body or seen one that was installed with no cutting involved OR is there alot of cutting involved...particularly with the transmission shifter opening and tunnel.

komninon

i did it on my 68 [fabrication shop did the work] tko 600 little cutting was not that bad.....t56 requires a lot of cutting and welding....
but the best thing i did to my car!!! now i want the t56
if you want i sell you mine and i will put the t56 :icon_smile_cool:

Blakcharger440

Quote from: komninon on February 24, 2018, 01:40:15 AM
i did it on my 68 [fabrication shop did the work] tko 600 little cutting was not that bad.....t56 requires a lot of cutting and welding....
but the best thing i did to my car!!! now i want the t56
if you want i sell you mine and i will put the t56 :icon_smile_cool:

I sent you a PM about the TKO600. Could you post pics or send me pics of what they had to cut in order to install it.

XH29N0G

Mine was in a 1970 so maybe not exactly the same.  The tail shaft of the TKO 600 needed to be notched.  I know some kits do that - e.g., the silversport one - mine wasn't, so I had to send it out for that operation.  This is important to get the appropriate driveline angles, otherwise the tailshaft hits the crossmember that the torsion bars slot into.  Mine had a manual tunnel, but the people who did the restoration, pulled the 4 speed hump and put in another floorpan/tunnel.  The one they did, needed to be enlarged slightly to allow the transmission to be raised up (again for the driveline angles).  Once in, they are nice, but there is still an issue with the shifters (not all are equal) and the 2-3 on the TKO was something I had to learn.  I had a tendency to push to the passenger side, so would hit the block between 3 and 5 gates.  The OD is very nice, and the transmission makes the car a lot of fun to drive.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

funknut

Check this thread.  Pat put a T56 in his 68 charger and did an excellent job documenting it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,110212.0.html

Good luck!  :2thumbs:

Blakcharger440

Quote from: funknut on February 24, 2018, 03:48:27 PM
Check this thread.  Pat put a T56 in his 68 charger and did an excellent job documenting it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,110212.0.html

Good luck!  :2thumbs:

All the pics to that build do not show up. It sounds like a good info but I wish there were pics.

funknut

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on February 25, 2018, 01:42:20 PM

All the pics to that build do not show up. It sounds like a good info but I wish there were pics.

Ah yes, the photobucket problem.

Maybe drop keepat a PM, he might be willing to provide the pics of the tunnel modifications as well as his solution to the transmission crossmember.

For a T56 at the least you will need a pie cut to the tunnel all the way from the firewall back to the trans crossmember, plus sectioning the trans crossmember,  plus some additional clearance work done on the firewall.

Mike DC

AFAIK any 6-speed retrofit means wiping out the stock tunnel and crossmember.  It's not a matter of specific interference points, it's the whole thing.  The tranny is just too big for the location.   

The 5-speed retrofits are a much better cost/benefit ratio in terms of hacking the car. 

Dino

I can't wait to cut up my tunnel to squeeze that T56 in! That's gonna be awesome!!!!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

INTMD8

The 69 I bought has a tko600.  Floor was cut for the shifter but doesn't appear to be much else.

Have you seen the Passon A855 5 speed? I believe it's a direct bolt in.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

303 Mopar

Quote from: INTMD8 on March 03, 2018, 10:17:25 PM
Have you seen the Passon A855 5 speed? I believe it's a direct bolt in.

Jamie Passon's 855 is a great trans and a directly bolt-in, however the waitlist continue to grow. I am on year 3 waiting for mine.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

375instroke

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on February 25, 2018, 01:42:20 PM

In Google Chrome or Firefox, you can install an extension to view the Photobucket pics.  Search for Photobucket fix, and there are a few to choose from.  I'm using Photobucket Embedded Image Fix in Chrome, and all Photobucket pics show up now.