News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about fuel injection

Started by comet_666, January 30, 2018, 03:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Megasquirt is the style i would go with if i converted one. Multiport is a whole different animal then the self contained throttle body units.

pipeliner

I just looked at the Megasquirt. When I saw all of those wires and crap mounted over top of the valve covers I had to exit out  :puke:

Ryan.C

Quote from: pipeliner on March 05, 2018, 06:19:00 AM
I just looked at the Megasquirt. When I saw all of those wires and crap mounted over top of the valve covers I had to exit out  :puke:

Ignition coils can be mounted virtually anywhere. I have seen a few guys mount their coils underneath the intake manifold for a cleaner look.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

c00nhunterjoe

Crank trigger, mulitport injection, and individual coils is the most efficient, powerful and tunable way to go. If we are talking about going modern and converting to fuel injection, lets get with the times. Throttle body injection started in the 1970s.....

pipeliner

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 06, 2018, 03:16:41 PM

Crank trigger, mulitport injection, and individual coils is the most efficient, powerful and tunable way to go. If we are talking about going modern and converting to fuel injection, lets get with the times. Throttle body injection started in the 1970s.....
You find me a cleaner and neater way to do it and I'd be game but my engine bay will never look like that.

JR

I just looked at the Megasquirt. When I saw all of those wires and crap mounted over top of the valve covers I had to exit out  :puke:

I agree, multiport is fantastic! Throttle body EFI doesnt come close in efficiency.

Now, where can I buy a bolt on ready to run multiport EFI that installs in a couple of hours, costs under a grand, needs no custom software tuning and doesn't have to be Dyno tuned after installation? I'll wait.

Apples and oranges here. No one's arguing that TBI is the end all be all of fuel injection. But convenience/ease of install/time/labor vs cost, it's an excellent value for money at the moment.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: JR on March 08, 2018, 01:02:40 AM
I just looked at the Megasquirt. When I saw all of those wires and crap mounted over top of the valve covers I had to exit out  :puke:

I agree, multiport is fantastic! Throttle body EFI doesnt come close in efficiency.

Now, where can I buy a bolt on ready to run multiport EFI that installs in a couple of hours, costs under a grand, needs no custom software tuning and doesn't have to be Dyno tuned after installation? I'll wait.

Apples and oranges here. No one's arguing that TBI is the end all be all of fuel injection. But convenience/ease of install/time/labor vs cost, it's an excellent value for money at the moment.

So then we are back to needing something simple because you cant tune a carb OR fuel injection now? Lol  :cheers:

But here is neat and clean on the multiport. Like everything, it is what you make it...

Derwud

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 08, 2018, 07:14:23 AM

So then we are back to needing something simple because you cant tune a carb OR fuel injection now? Lol  :cheers:

But here is neat and clean on the multiport. Like everything, it is what you make it...

This is what I am trying to build.. But, I would still take a TBI set-up over a carb (And yes I have tuned carbs, both by Dyno and Seat of pants and continue to do so today, but would replace them all with F.I. if I could!)
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

pipeliner

Is there a different route you can run the wires to keep them from going over the valve covers?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: pipeliner on March 08, 2018, 08:51:54 AM

Is there a different route you can run the wires to keep them from going over the valve covers?

You can route plug wires however you like. In the picture i posted, all are the exact same length for resistance. Nothing says they can run from under the intake, behind the engine amd up to the plugs out of sight.

Derwud

Quote from: pipeliner on March 08, 2018, 08:51:54 AM

Here is a thread to check out.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.0.html

It is the one that got me thinking and going down this path... As for the coils and wires, endless solutions.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

c00nhunterjoe

I know mechtech. He is local to me. His car is pretty slick. Crammed a tractor trailer turbo under the back of it last year.... lol.

Midnight_Rider

Closest thing I've seen is the Fi Tech 'Go Port' system... closer to 2k than 1. Plus you have to account for the fuel system, but you'd have to do that for TBI anyway.

68CoronetRT

Did the whole turbo, Megasquirt, multi port, sequential,  blah blah blah. Its an on going project that never seems to end. Better find a good fabricator and make him your best friend while your at it(trigger wheel, boost pipe, mounts for this mounts for that).

Bolted my Holley Sniper in place of the old carb, wired up 6 wires and off I went.

Megasquirt has a time and a place but its a pain in the ass to get going 100%. In my circle of friends we have over 10 vehicles on Megasquirt and every vehicle has some issues always. Even a twin turbo 496(Chevy) in a boat on MS!

Still would take my TBI injection any day just for the ease of use.

MS is worth the time and effort if you have that luxury. Most dont.