News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater Box Restoration

Started by Shakey, May 01, 2006, 08:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

awesome, hopefully mine will come out half as nice

Shakey

MadScientist

what black did you user for the box?

Shakey

Quote from: MadScientist on June 25, 2006, 11:19:46 PM

I used Flat Black.  Can't even remember the name brand.  Nothing fancy, just some cheap stuff at $8.00 CDN a can.  I figured it would be on a heater box that is tucked underneath and no one will see it.  I did give it about 2 - 3 coats though!

dodgecharger-fan

I'll bring mine up to you this afternoon, k?   ;D

Seriously, though, that looks real good. It inspires me to get my butt in gear.
As it happens, my heater box is in my way right now. Maybe restoring it as well as you have done will earn it a spot inside the house.  :icon_smile_cool:

70sixpkrt

I just found this post. Excellent information. Those grommets/hoses on the nipples of the heater core that go thru the firewall, are those foam or rubber?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Dodge Don

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on September 04, 2007, 11:32:45 PM
I just found this post. Excellent information. Those grommets/hoses on the nipples of the heater core that go thru the firewall, are those foam or rubber?

Foam

bull

Quote from: Shakey on June 26, 2006, 12:37:52 PM
Quote from: MadScientist on June 25, 2006, 11:19:46 PM

I used Flat Black.  Can't even remember the name brand.  Nothing fancy, just some cheap stuff at $8.00 CDN a can.  I figured it would be on a heater box that is tucked underneath and no one will see it.  I did give it about 2 - 3 coats though!

Hey Shakey, did you mask off and paint the metal brackets attached to the fiberglass box where they were or did you remove, paint and replace them?

Shakey

I painted them first, let them dry and then taped them up and painted the box.

bull

Quote from: Shakey on March 24, 2009, 03:33:35 PM

Thanks. One other thing I just thought of; did you just use an ohm meter to test the resistor and what is the resistance supposed to be?

Shakey

Quote from: bull on March 24, 2009, 07:52:26 PM

Thanks. One other thing I just thought of; did you just use an ohm meter to test the resistor and what is the resistance supposed to be?

No.  My resistor was NFG so I grabbed a spare during one of my salvage yard tours.  I tested the motor and made sure the wheel was balanced before I installed it.  After I installed it into the box, I tested it again.

No idea what the resistance was/is supposed to be.  Perhaps one of the electrical guys can step in tell us both.

bull

Quote from: Shakey on March 25, 2009, 06:07:12 AM

No.  My resistor was NFG so I grabbed a spare during one of my salvage yard tours.  I tested the motor and made sure the wheel was balanced before I installed it.  After I installed it into the box, I tested it again.

No idea what the resistance was/is supposed to be.  Perhaps one of the electrical guys can step in tell us both.

Did you just hook the motor up to a 12v source to test it? I'm thinking of just getting a new one anyway. Autozone sells them new, not rebuilt, for $20 and they carry a lifetime warranty. Of course a warranty doesn't pull the motor back out of the box and put it in for you if it fails.

Shakey

Quote from: bull on March 25, 2009, 07:12:55 AM

Did you just hook the motor up to a 12v source to test it? I'm thinking of just getting a new one anyway. Autozone sells them new, not rebuilt, for $20 and they carry a lifetime warranty. Of course a warranty doesn't pull the motor back out of the box and put it in for you if it fails.

Hooked it up to the car battery.

lexxman

That likes great I can't wait to do mine now.

GF7Bee

Can you help me with the way the vacuum lines go to each actuator? I think the mechanic I had messed them up as mine no longer goes to max a/c from a/c. Thanks.

shovelcharger

Over the summer i just refurbisher the heater box in my 69. I cleaned and repainted the metal parts but as for the fiberglass, it didnt have paint on it to begin with so i spent about a day cleaning the crap out of it and it looks great. Dont know how far you are into it by now but figured id throw my 2cents in.

lexxman

Mine is all done and waiting to go back into the car. Now I just need to finish the car. :yesnod:

dodgedarren

Quote from: Shakey on June 11, 2006, 08:36:09 PM
Finally finished.

Thanks again to all who helped.

Shakey, I did a complete resto on my non-A/C heater box but forgot how to wire it back up. Any pics or onformation would be much appreciated.

MxRacer855

Did you drill the rivets that are connecting the steel brackets to the fiberglass out? I'm currently giving mine a go after I saw this and have to pull it out to replace the heater core anyway. LOOKS AMAZING! I just don't know what to do with those steel brackets. :shruggy:

dodgedarren

Quote from: Shakey on March 25, 2009, 09:35:20 AM
Quote from: bull on March 25, 2009, 07:12:55 AM

Hooked it up to the car battery.

Shakey, I did a complete resto on my non-A/C heater box but forgot how to wire it back up. Any pics or onformation would be much appreciated.

Ghoste

I don't think Shakey has been on here in over a year.

rsw0331usmc

I should have thought of that effort when I had mine out.

birdsandbees

In process of doing mine, does anyone know what these decals looked like originally??
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

birdsandbees

Anyone ?  :shruggy:

Also be aware that Detroit Muscle's heater box refurbishment kit does not include a blower motor rubber mounting seal. If yours is like mine you'll be needing to find, order and secure one to put the box back together. Currently working on that.

Also note in the classifieds that I'm looking for the fresh air box, passenger side, cable bracket that rivets to the fiberglass heat box assembly.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487