News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Vent windows. Rechrome or reproduction?

Started by INTMD8, February 20, 2018, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

My vent windows have some light pitting so I need to re chrome or replace.

Any suggestions?  Does the repro stuff fit together nice? Also who makes the best seal? The ones on there currently appear to be reproduction but there is a gap between the glass and upper pivot like there isn't enough material there.

Thanks!
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

green69rt

I'm just putting my went windows back together and doing the door glass install.  I rechromed  my frames.   I like to use the original if at all possible.  All the seals, felts and gaskets are available except for the little rubber washers that are on the pivot points.  

Rechroming in Houston was expensive, $600 for the frames, glass channel and the little handles.  Mine had some pitting.  You do lose a little sharpness of the lines during rechrome.  Some shops may grind it off completely but I don't know how you would know which do and don't till you actually have them do the work then it's too late.

Also, I reused the main seal on the vent window.  Just washed them good then used a rubber cleaner and they looked like new (scrub, scrub, scrub.)  Unless they are obviously torn or mangled I would try clean them up first then go for the repros.  

As for the gap that you found, you can play around with the alignment, I had to do that to make that gap go away.

Here's a thread on the assembly that I used.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38431.0.html

Good luck.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: green69rt on February 20, 2018, 11:56:04 AM
I'm just putting my went windows back together and doing the door glass install.  I rechromed  my frames.   I like to use the original if at all possible.  All the seals, felts and gaskets are available except for the little rubber washers that are on the pivot points.  

Rechroming in Houston was expensive, $600 for the frames, glass channel and the little handles.  Mine had some pitting.  You do lose a little sharpness of the lines during rechrome.  Some shops may grind it off completely but I don't know how you would know which do and don't till you actually have them do the work then it's too late.

Also, I reused the main seal on the vent window.  Just washed them good then used a rubber cleaner and they looked like new (scrub, scrub, scrub.)  Unless they are obviously torn or mangled I would try clean them up first then go for the repros.  

As for the gap that you found, you can play around with the alignment, I had to do that to make that gap go away.

Here's a thread on the assembly that I used.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38431.0.html

Good luck.

My Frames (just the A pillar frame post ONLY) cost me $600+ for both as well to have redone, and that was starting with the best ones I had, more pits means more money, personally I would have like to gone with the repros from Tony's parts, but they weren't out at the time...Tony's are $550 and you get the lower vent window frame as well, and some other assorted pins/pivots/screws

Mike

DAY CLONA

Quote from: INTMD8 on February 20, 2018, 11:45:17 AM

Any suggestions?  Does the repro stuff fit together nice? Also who makes the best seal? The ones on there currently appear to be reproduction but there is a gap between the glass and upper pivot like there isn't enough material there.

Thanks!

As far as the vent window seal, I got mine from Metro, fit perfectly, ZERO issues, just as good as factory, couldn't have asked for better

Mike

Lennard

I just had mine re chromed and paid $420. I thought that was expensive.  :scratchchin:
I bought Precision brand seals from 69bfan.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,130372.0.html

He told me that those are the best replacement seals on the market. I haven't put it all together yet, so we'll see.  :thumbs:

NHCharger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 20, 2018, 04:40:16 PM
Quote from: INTMD8 on February 20, 2018, 11:45:17 AM

Thanks!

As far as the vent window seal, I got mine from Metro, fit perfectly, ZERO issues, just as good as factory, couldn't have asked for better

Mike
Also got mine from Metro. Very happy with the fit.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69bfan

I would personally go with the original vent window frames if the pitting was not too bad.  But as stated, severe pitting will lead to less quality or more cost to correct.  If the vent window seal is good, simply reuse.  We sell both the Precision and the Metro seals and personally I have better luck with the Precision piece.  The glass channel runs for the door glass on most cars will need to be replaced at this time.  Original pieces are much better than the reproductions, and they are all expensive.  The two small round seals for the vent window pivot is now available and we are working on the plastic spacer that goes between those seals.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

INTMD8

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated.

Lennard, would you mind sharing who re-chromed yours?  The pitting isn't too bad on mine so maybe that's an option.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Lennard

Quote from: INTMD8 on February 21, 2018, 10:27:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated.

Lennard, would you mind sharing who re-chromed yours?  The pitting isn't too bad on mine so maybe that's an option.
To be honest,  I don't know who re chromed mine. I dropped them off at Speedway customs in Lake Havasu city - Arizona, and they use a chrome shop in Southern California. They also did my bumpers and taillight housings and they look better than new.

pipeliner

The reproductions are super nice. Absolutely love mine. I have a extra set but is missing the drivers side vent chrome. I'd let go for $350 plus the ride.

69 OUR/TEA

It's a tuff call , from numerous people I know who had the originals rechromed , said they lost the " crispness" of that ridge on the outside . I most likely will be going with Tonys repos , as my originals are really not that bad , and would hate to have them done , get them back and not be happy with them .

timmycharger

Quote from: 69bfan on February 20, 2018, 10:10:00 PM
I would personally go with the original vent window frames if the pitting was not too bad.  But as stated, severe pitting will lead to less quality or more cost to correct.  If the vent window seal is good, simply reuse.  We sell both the Precision and the Metro seals and personally I have better luck with the Precision piece.  The glass channel runs for the door glass on most cars will need to be replaced at this time.  Original pieces are much better than the reproductions, and they are all expensive.  The two small round seals for the vent window pivot is now available and we are working on the plastic spacer that goes between those seals.

Wish I listened to this BEFORE trying to install the repro glass channel runs, do not waste your time with them. Either re use your originals or go for the real Mopar stuff.

69bfan

Before paying big dollars for the mylar glass channel runs, verify that you are indeed getting the original Chrysler pieces.  These pieces were discontinued last June / July and are pulling a premium price.  I would want to make sure that they are still in the unopened sealed package to avoid paying the OEM pricing for a reproduction piece that is a quarter of the price.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

Charger-Bodie

I've used a few sets from Tony's and they are the way to go. I also had a set rechromed when I did my Daytona clone . They were nice but cost twice as much
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

pipeliner

I wouldn't have a clue why any of you would have any trouble with the ones from Tony's? I've put 2 sets in and I think my 13 year old son could do it.

Lennard

Quote from: pipeliner on February 27, 2018, 08:00:33 AM
I wouldn't have a clue why any of you would have any trouble with the ones from Tony's? I've put 2 sets in and I think my 13 year old son could do it.
Where in this topic do you read that someone is having problems with using Tony's reproduction vent windows?