News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat track disassembly...

Started by MxRacer855, March 27, 2014, 09:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

I'm trying to disassemble the seat tracks on the bucket seats of my '68 so that I can sandblast and powder coat them. I've seen a few threads on here where a few people inquired about their disassembly but never quite got an answer on how to actually separate them. I don't want to blast and spray them as a complete unit... any help please?

Jeff

timmycharger

Old topic, but its basically covering what I am looking for. Anyone take their seat tracks apart? I was putting mine on my finished seats last night and one of them started to separate sideways. The other ones seem to have no side to side play, but one particular side did and even spit out the small clip with ball bearings on it. I was able to shove it back in but it seems loose and not right still.

Feels like im missing something on this track, I sent them off to be blasted, Im wondering if they blasted off something important? 

MxRacer855

Hmmm... sounds a lot like mine. I blasted them myself and there was more play with them than I thought.

Never did take them apart though.

timmycharger

Interesting! Are you using that seat now in the car? Im wondering if it would be stable? I may have to pull it apart and take a closer look, Ill take pics. thanks!

MxRacer855

Unfortunately not yet... my car is still getting rebuilt and they're not installed yet.

If you have that little ball bearing in them already, I can't see there being any other pieces that could have deteriorated and been blasted out.
There's really not much in there. Just a couple of formed pieces pressed together.
:Twocents:

Jeff

timmycharger

Ok, pulled it apart and it looks like Im missing a roller type bearing. See the pic with the red circle, it glides up and down the track, there isn't one on the loose side but there is a wear spot where one probably should be.  Not sure how Im going to find that piece, I may have to make it  :shruggy:  So looks like they blasted it out because I know that track was tight when it came out.

mopar0166

Any Update, I know its been a few years, but I'm in the same boat, but I still have the roller.

Lennard

mopar0166

I'm faced with a similar situation, my one track on the driver side is very "loose" and the roller that is spoken about in this post is out.  I didn't find much literature on rebuilding them until now.   I rather not spend 250 for a new set of seat track for my driver's seat unless I really need to.  So, I was curious as to whether the seat track mentioned above was fixed or not.  I'm going to look further into it tonight but besides the two springs, the roller and the actual seat track, am I missing other parts? 

Lennard

I just media blasted and painted my seat track assemblies last week.  When I moved one of the tracks too far forward,  one of the rollers fell out. That's what probably happened to yours. I put it back in and it works fine again without any play. There isn't much to rebuild. You need the rollers with the small brackets that they sit in and a couple bearing balls that make the track slide back and forth.  I don't think that anyone is reproducing that particular roller, but if you're a little bit crafty... you should be able to make one.

mopar0166

Ill have to look it over tonight.  What are the small brackets that they sit in?  I may be missing these I'm not sure though.  I think before id bight the bullet on new ones, I might try welding them as a last resort.  I never move the drivers seat and its always as far back as possible. 

Lennard

The rollers are rolling inside a small bracket/guide. You can see it in the red circle in the first picture. I'd try to make another roller before I'd spend $400 on new seat tracks. I'm thinking that if you have a bolt or rod that's the same diameter as the original roller and you cut a piece off the same width as the roller that it will work just the same inside that guide. All it has to do is roll back and forth.  :Twocents:

mopar0166

I took the track apart to notice I had one guide. Two rollers and three ball bearings.   So since I've always hoarded all the parts in one bin that were extra or I've replaced.  I actually found the guide, it was all mangled but had it's ball bearings.  That gave me the three.   So by chance a had a set of old trans a.m. seats and I took a hammer to the tracks to see if it had and ball bearings.  It did.   So I straightened out the bent guide ungoop-greased everything and started assembly. Took me a couple tries but it's now back together and working just fine.    Thanks again for the advice. 

Lennard