News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

clutch size

Started by taxspeaker, May 01, 2018, 06:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

69 daytona, 440-4 barrel all stock. Blew 50 year old original clutch this weekend. Haven't pulled it apart yet, so looking for recommendations on manufacturer and size. After 50 years do you think I should also replace flywheel? Engine is stock and runs great without leaks or oil issues, so just pulling tranny.

thanks

BLK 68 R/T

I'd just have it surfaced and check it for cracks. Clutch should be the 11" 18 spline. If you like the original style with the stiff pedal feel then stick with the 3 finger style. If you want a lighter pedal then ditch the heavy spring from the clutch pedal and go with a centerforce dual friction diaphragm style.

taxspeaker

XH29N0G

That has also been my experience. Resurface and checked for cracks. Have always wondered when they wear out.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 01, 2018, 06:41:16 PM
After 50 years do you think I should also replace flywheel?

Even if it's resurfaced and shows no cracks it's still a cast flywheel. Billet is always better.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 02, 2018, 12:26:16 PM

Even if it's resurfaced and shows no cracks it's still a cast flywheel. Billet is always better.

:iagree:

Spend the money on a good flywheel, your legs will thank you.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 03, 2018, 12:15:17 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 02, 2018, 12:26:16 PM

:iagree:

Spend the money on a good flywheel, your legs will thank you.

Agreed, no reason to use a factory flywheel (even NOS) with what's available in the aftermarket and SFI approved, your going to pull everything down, now's the time to upgrade