News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird race car rear window braces

Started by oldcarnut, March 29, 2018, 12:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Was there a standard practice for size, placement, style, or measurement?  Does anyone have the sizes or can measure theirs for me?  Maybe Doug 😁.   Picture attached for reference although it's Goldberg's clone I think.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

odcics2

Nascar Rule book states: "2 steel straps not less than 1/8" thick x 1" wide."

:coolgleamA:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

oldcarnut

Quote from: odcics2 on March 29, 2018, 05:53:22 PM

Thanks👍. Was it then up to the teams how they spaced the straps and direction?  I've seen some that appear perpendicular to the trunk and others slanted like the glass trim on the sides.as similar to the pic.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: oldcarnut on March 29, 2018, 06:13:33 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on March 29, 2018, 05:53:22 PM

Thanks👍. Was it then up to the teams how they spaced the straps and direction?  I've seen some that appear perpendicular to the trunk and others slanted like the glass trim on the sides.as similar to the pic.

They look better IMHO both being parallel with one another, when I made the ones on Mike Musto's "Angrier" Daytona, I used stainless steel 1" wide by 1/8" thick, I stepped the ends in a step die plate to make them sit flush with the glass and allow them to step over the trim and attach flush with the body

Mike

oldcarnut

Those look good  :2thumbs:.  I'll be making mine out of 11g (1/8") ss also so they'll match my window trim I made.

Aero426

Mine are braced on the both the inside and the outside, bolted through the plexiglas rear window.     They aren't perfectly symmetrical relative to each other.       In fact, they are kind of sloppy. 

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on March 30, 2018, 09:00:22 AM
Mine are braced on the both the inside and the outside, bolted through the plexiglas rear window.     They aren't perfectly symmetrical relative to each other.       In fact, they are kind of sloppy. 

Glass required outside only.
Plexiglass required bolted to additional inside pieces.

On the 88 back glass, the original inner straps are sided and even have an "up/down" position to the holes drilled in the original plexiglass.

Doug - post the rear glass 'hammer' pic to get the car 'legal'.  Good story!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?