News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Msd 6a or Mopar orange box

Started by texas charger 73, January 08, 2018, 05:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas charger 73

So I have a decently hopped up 318 in my 73 charger.  I have an msd 6a box I can install and eleminate the Ballast and stock ecu  or I can order an orange box.  It's a street car. Mostly light to light  and cruising.  Which is better? More reliable?

Currently running stock cheap ecu, ballast with accell wires, coil and champion plugs. 
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

Ghoste

I like the MSD.  (but my opinion is just that, an opinion)

John_Kunkel

Why run a box at all? Go for the MSD ready-to-run.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Yup, for the mild street car, the msd or firecore ready to run distributors are the way to go anymore. Simple and clean hookup, built in rev limiter. Reliable.

69wannabe

I had a firecore ready to run dizzy and liked it but my factory tach would not work with it for some unknown reason and I didn't want to go back to an aftermarket tach since I spent a pile o cash getting the original re-done so I went to a firecore plug and play dizzy and a mopar chrome box and firecore wires and an msd blaster 2 coil and resistor. The system works good and I haven't had any ignition issues in a long time and my factory tic toc tach works good with this set up so it just depends on what you want to do there. And I have traded in the champions for NGK spark plugs which seem to work great too......

justcruisin

The factory tach isn't that accurate from my experience, got worse over time. I didn't want an aftermarket tach so I fitted a RT-eng digital tach board, made the gauge work great. They say it works with all systems. Works great with the digital Rev-N-Nator, I imagine it will work with a RTR.

69wannabe

Quote from: justcruisin on January 11, 2018, 03:55:39 PM
The factory tach isn't that accurate from my experience, got worse over time. I didn't want an aftermarket tach so I fitted a RT-eng digital tach board, made the gauge work great. They say it works with all systems. Works great with the digital Rev-N-Nator, I imagine it will work with a RTR.

I had the tach completely rebuilt and restored and it works great but not with 12 volts going straight to the coil when using a RTR distributor. After spending a good chunk of cash having the tic toc tach restored I didn't want to go back to a stuck on the column tach so I sold the RTR distributor and went back to the old faithful plug and play distributor and a mopar box. Both ignition systems work and work fine, just depends on what you want to put on there.....

Harper

QuoteWhy run a box at all? Go for the MSD ready-to-run.
never heard of it! I will research it for my build.

here is a thread about it
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=108558.0
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

justcruisin

Not sure if you are understanding what I am saying, the RT-eng tach board replaces the original board in the back of the original tach, it still looks like an original set up. The board is digital and should work with both stock and digital ignitions. You have yours sorted so that's great, but just some info for others looking for a fix.

69wannabe

Quote from: justcruisin on January 12, 2018, 03:21:43 PM
Not sure if you are understanding what I am saying, the RT-eng tach board replaces the original board in the back of the original tach, it still looks like an original set up. The board is digital and should work with both stock and digital ignitions. You have yours sorted so that's great, but just some info for others looking for a fix.

Sorry, I didn't get the just of what you had done on your tach. I sent mine to redline gaugeworks and they rebuilt the clock and the tach and they use VDO gauge internals but for some reason it would flip out with the firecore RTR distributor. Sad thing is I had an old sunpro super tach and I could hook it up and it worked fine so i really don't know what the heck was up with it. I even sent it back to redline and told them the problem but they said the tach was fine but I tried it one more time before I went back to running the mopar box and the firecore plug and play distributor.  Wish I could have kept the RTR dizzy but I wanted my tach working so I had to got back to the other set up but it does work good even tho there are a few more components to work with but as long as you use good quality parts it should be a dependable ignition system.

Ghoste

It seems like a lot of the ready to run stuff needs a tach adapter for anything but Autometer.  I'm sure thats just my impression of things but it does seem like that.

John_Kunkel

I'm using a generic E-bay tach with my MSD ready-to-run.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

pipeliner

I run firecore 50 wires, firecore distributor and the Rev-N-Nator box and it's sweet. MSD as well as others have had some problems with the ready to run distributors. You may get a good one, you may not.

lukedukem

Quote from: pipeliner on January 21, 2018, 09:55:37 AM
I run firecore 50 wires, firecore distributor and the Rev-N-Nator box and it's sweet. MSD as well as others have had some problems with the ready to run distributors. You may get a good one, you may not.

how is it wired up

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

pipeliner

Quote from: lukedukem on January 23, 2018, 10:00:07 PM
Quote from: pipeliner on January 21, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

how is it wired up

Luke
Just like factory but persay RT garages timing instructions for the rev n nator. No Vacuum. I'm also m running Dakota gauges. I'm also using a 130 amp tuff stuff alt with external voltage regulator. Everything works great.

Back N Black

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 09, 2018, 07:26:50 PM
Yup, for the mild street car, the msd or firecore ready to run distributors are the way to go anymore. Simple and clean hookup, built in rev limiter. Reliable.

Does the Firecore have the built in rev limiter?

mopar0166

I went to an msd ignition setup, and a one wire alternator, I have never been happier. 

firefighter3931

If I had to choose between an orange box or an MSD unit the multispark wins hands down.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs