News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Metal beams behind the rear seat? Gone..

Started by Jonas_N, June 19, 2018, 07:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas_N

When i cut out the rusty trunk floor i noticed that the previous owner cut the two beams behind the rear seat.
Do these help for chassis stability or should I just let it be?

I would like to put new ones in, what are those called?

BLK 68 R/T

No idea what they are called...package tray support braces maybe ?? but I would venture to say that they are not reproduced. Although, they do look like something that could be made pretty easily with a metal brake and shear. How much structural stability they provide? I would want them installed. If anything they might keep the package tray area from flexing. And over time flexing leads to cracking of metal. Just my  :Twocents:

green69rt

Looking at my car I can see that those two braces have the bottom end tied to the floor at the end of the driveshaft tunnel.   Under the floor at that spot is the reinforcement that the rear axle snubber bangs against.  Without those support braces, I would wonder if that the subber would cause the floor to buckle :shruggy:

Mike DC

Chrysler wasn't in the habit of adding bracing that wasn't useful.  If they put it on several million cars then it probably made a difference.

There isn't any demand/value for used ones now.  Get a set from a parts car and splice them in.    

green69rt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 19, 2018, 09:46:48 PM

Chrysler wasn't in the habit of adding bracing that wasn't useful.  If they put it on several million cars then it probably made a difference.

There isn't any demand/value for used ones now.  Get a set from a parts car and splice them in.    

Yeah, just put an add in the parts wanted section.

Quite often those braces are only welded in on the bottom with 2 pissy spot welds, hardly structural if you ask me, but they do tie everything together.

VegasCharger

I have one side (see red circle in pic). I also have a '66 Plymouth Belvedere shell that I can get both braces out.

There's about 8 to 9 spot welds at each end.

:cheers: