News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New engine build- stumbling under acceleration-issue found

Started by NHCharger, June 06, 2018, 08:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Quote from: NHCharger on August 04, 2018, 03:53:23 PM
Have not had time to work on car lately. Work slowly crushing my soul.

I've been there as well. I've always worked 39-40 hour weeks but sometimes the commute has sometimes been a killer. I'm talking 2.5 to 3 hours getting home! That almost always killed my motivation to do anything once I finally got home.   :brickwall:

NHCharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 04, 2018, 10:55:03 PM
Quote from: NHCharger on August 04, 2018, 03:53:23 PM
Have not had time to work on car lately. Work slowly crushing my soul.

I've been there as well. I've always worked 39-40 hour weeks but sometimes the commute has sometimes been a killer. I'm talking 2.5 to 3 hours getting home! That almost always killed my motivation to do anything once I finally got home.   :brickwall:

Ugh, that is a killer commute. I found the source of my brake issue. I had a buddy over the night I installed the new distributor, we also pulled a couple plugs to check them. He did not get the plug wire back on #5 all the way. When I first started the car it ran real rough (not knowing plug wire was off) when I revved it up a bit he claimed something shot out of the carb right by his head. Yesterday I found the plug wire off, car ran better but still seemed off. After the no brake issue I tested vacuum because the pedal was hard. I tested at the manifold, when I tested at the Bendix booster something looked wrong, I shined the light on the vacuum connection and it appeared there was a cap missing. I did a search of the garage floor in front of my car and sure enough, in a cardboard box with some rollers six feet away was a black plastic cap, it snapped back onto the vacuum connection. I'm now wondering if the cap was never fully inserted onto the connection. Will test drive today.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

c00nhunterjoe

Its sounding like this is not a carb issue at all.

NHCharger

After going around with the engine builder numerous times I finally had a Mopar mechanic look at it. He said I had a massive vacuum leak. I swapped the intake and it cured some of the issue. Went back to the builder again and he said that probably the cam I supplied doesn't work well with the heads and suggested a set of 906 or aluminum heads. At that point I said fu*k it and ran the car as is until I had time to pull the motor. Finally had time to pull the motor last weekend. Yeah, not real happy at this point.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cdr

You need to pull the heads & make sure the valves did not hit the pistons & get bent.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NHCharger

Yeah. I sent some pics to the engine builder, he called me with in ten minutes, couldn't believe that he did that. I have a meeting with him tomorrow. He said whatever it takes to make it right.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

C500

What was the main problem of bad brakes - the cap on the booster missing or something else too?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Kern Dog

Quote from: NHCharger on February 17, 2023, 04:57:24 AMYeah. I sent some pics to the engine builder, he called me with in ten minutes, couldn't believe that he did that. I have a meeting with him tomorrow. He said whatever it takes to make it right.
Am I seeing that right? The crank sprocket is 3 teeth off? That is over 24 degrees retarded.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: NHCharger on February 16, 2023, 09:02:08 AMAfter going around with the engine builder numerous times I finally had a Mopar mechanic look at it. He said I had a massive vacuum leak. I swapped the intake and it cured some of the issue. Went back to the builder again and he said that probably the cam I supplied doesn't work well with the heads and suggested a set of 906 or aluminum heads. At that point I said fu*k it and ran the car as is until I had time to pull the motor. Finally had time to pull the motor last weekend. Yeah, not real happy at this point.

Glad you found the problem, good catch.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mopar Nut

Quote from: NHCharger on February 17, 2023, 04:57:24 AMYeah. I sent some pics to the engine builder, he called me with in ten minutes, couldn't believe that he did that. I have a meeting with him tomorrow. He said whatever it takes to make it right.
Did the engine builder make it right?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

NHCharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 03, 2023, 12:56:55 AM
Am I seeing that right? The crank sprocket is 3 teeth off? That is over 24 degrees retarded.
Unfortunately, yes you are seeing that right. He was pretty embarrassed when I stopped over to talk to him about this. He said bring it back and he would do a complete tear down and fix whatever is needed. I plan on bringing it over after I get back from Carlisle.
The other half of the story- a buddy of mine has a 68 GTX with a non #s 440 (mild build). He decided it didn't make enough HP so he had his spare 440 built for 600+ HP, he sold me his old 440 (only used one season, 1,200 miles) for 5k. Complete engine except for the altenator and pulleys. While waiting for that I had the tranny gone thru and bought a new torque converter from Dynamic Converters in NJ. Got everything back together last month. The Daytona clone now has some serious giddy up. Plans for my old 440... I have a 88 RC 4x4 in beautiful condition with a tired 318.Will be doing an engine swap this winter.   
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel