News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adding Classic Air firewall forward kit... belts?

Started by BrianShaughnessy, July 04, 2018, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

After I dunno how long I finally opened the boxes up on the Classic Air AC kit I've had in the basement for awhile...  and then I quickly lost an ambition when the temps hit 90.    Sooooooooooo....

I've seen several pics of folks adding a Sanden compressor and then adding march serpentine pulleys which looks totally awesome.

All I want to do is just use the kit steel pulleys and regular belts for now.   So the new setup would run 2 standard belts from crank to compressor and alternator.    Power steering to water pump to crank looks the same single belt.   Once you start changing WP and crank pulleys you're committed...  easier said than done in a 2 bit town where I usually have to order belts.

If anyone has done this...  what size compressor / alt belts did you use???       Thanks!   :2thumbs:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

b5blue

My Classic kit came with an "Add on pulley" for the crank. It only adds one belt that drives the compressor.  :scratchchin:

timmycharger

My classic Air kit also came with the Add on pulley for the A/C.  (yellow arrow on the bottom) and a idler pulley (yellow arrow on the top) as well.  One small belt will work with this as it will go on the crank, idler and the compressor.  In my picture, the belt is not installed yet.  :Twocents:

b5blue

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: timmycharger on July 05, 2018, 02:41:31 PM
My classic Air kit also came with the Add on pulley for the A/C.  (yellow arrow on the bottom) and a idler pulley (yellow arrow on the top) as well.  One small belt will work with this as it will go on the crank, idler and the compressor.  In my picture, the belt is not installed yet.  :Twocents:

Not quite the same as what I got...     I got a 2 belt pulley compressor,  along with a different WP pulley and a 4 belt crank pulley.    No add-on pulley.    By the destructions...  looks like the inner 2 belts will run off the crank to the compressor and then the alternator.   Then 1 belt for PS and WP...  and an empty on the crank and WP.   :shruggy:.

Here's a crap pic of the destructions...   my scanner is DOA due to ink issues today :/    Having a hard time getting withing size limits.

Gold Rush

That is stock '74 400 engine with a/c configuration.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 05, 2018, 04:41:01 PM

Not quite the same as what I got...     I got a 2 belt pulley compressor,  along with a different WP pulley and a 4 belt crank pulley.    No add-on pulley.    By the destructions...  looks like the inner 2 belts will run off the crank to the compressor and then the alternator.   Then 1 belt for PS and WP...  and an empty on the crank and WP.   :shruggy:.

Here's a crap pic of the destructions...   my scanner is DOA due to ink issues today :/    Having a hard time getting withing size limits.

That belt config is also the correct stock way they run on a '69 440...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BLK 68 R/T

All 4 slots are utilised on the crank pulley. Inner 2 run the alt/ac, 3rd one goes straight to the p/s pump, 4th one goes to water pump and the tensioner pulley. You have to have the correct mounting bracket for the sanden a/c pump though in order to use it with the original pulley setup configuration.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 06, 2018, 02:07:32 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 05, 2018, 04:41:01 PM

Here's a crap pic of the destructions...   my scanner is DOA due to ink issues today :/    Having a hard time getting withing size limits.

That belt config is also the correct stock way they run on a '69 440...

I should have known you'd make sure the belts were perfectly lined up   :2thumbs:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on July 06, 2018, 02:17:25 PM
All 4 slots are utilised on the crank pulley. Inner 2 run the alt/ac, 3rd one goes straight to the p/s pump, 4th one goes to water pump and the tensioner pulley. You have to have the correct mounting bracket for the sanden a/c pump though in order to use it with the original pulley setup configuration.

Kit didn't include tensioner   :shruggy:

BLK 68 R/T

bill440rt

Brian, I recently just finished installing a Classic A/C kit in my '68 Charger. My kit also came with the Sanden compressor with 2-groove pulley, and the add-on crank pulley which I didn't want to use.
I installed everything using the stock A/C pulley setup.

I got the idler kit off eBay from Vans, came with the alternator brackets and everything as a kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-69-70-71-72-Charger-Cuda-GTX-440-Big-Block-W-AC-Alternator-Bracket-KIT-NEW-/173188173388?hash=item2852d1ce4c

The compressor brackets were supplied by Classic from Bouchillion, they will differ depending on which water pump housing you have. I needed the kit for an aluminum water pump housing. Check their website for the 2 kits, this one was #4710:
https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/467/569

So the only 2 parts I had to source were the water pump pulley and the 4-groove crank pulley. A great member on here hooked me up with those, a nice set of used ones.  ;)

I could not find smooth-type, stock appearing belts without spending a fortune for Quanta repro belts, and I didn't really need those belts for this car. So I got belts from the local auto parts store, smooth top and serrated bottoms. Belts were all same as factory stock length:
A/C: Duralast 15600, need 2.
Water pump: Duralast 15360
Power steering: Drive Rite 15423DR (the Duralast belt was too wide to sit properly in the pulley, this one fit perfectly)

Hope that helps!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bill440rt on July 08, 2018, 10:00:18 AM
Brian, I recently just finished installing a Classic A/C kit in my '68 Charger. My kit also came with the Sanden compressor with 2-groove pulley, and the add-on crank pulley which I didn't want to use.
I installed everything using the stock A/C pulley setup.

I got the idler kit off eBay from Vans, came with the alternator brackets and everything as a kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-69-70-71-72-Charger-Cuda-GTX-440-Big-Block-W-AC-Alternator-Bracket-KIT-NEW-/173188173388?hash=item2852d1ce4c

The compressor brackets were supplied by Classic from Bouchillion, they will differ depending on which water pump housing you have. I needed the kit for an aluminum water pump housing. Check their website for the 2 kits, this one was #4710:
https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/467/569

So the only 2 parts I had to source were the water pump pulley and the 4-groove crank pulley. A great member on here hooked me up with those, a nice set of used ones.  ;)

I could not find smooth-type, stock appearing belts without spending a fortune for Quanta repro belts, and I didn't really need those belts for this car. So I got belts from the local auto parts store, smooth top and serrated bottoms. Belts were all same as factory stock length:
A/C: Duralast 15600, need 2.
Water pump: Duralast 15360
Power steering: Drive Rite 15423DR (the Duralast belt was too wide to sit properly in the pulley, this one fit perfectly)

Hope that helps!  :cheers:

Thanks Bill....  You da Mann!!!    :2thumbs:   

Gonna rip it apart later this week.

BrianShaughnessy

So I started ripping it apart..

And I had to order the 4710 bracket for the aluminum WP housing and the Van's alternator mount kit...     There goes another $320 on this project!!!    :P

b5blue

Having A/C is priceless. Guys I didn't even know noticed my windows up and asked about it.  :lol: Florida is HOT!