News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FAST XFI 2.0

Started by 69Chrgr, August 02, 2017, 11:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Chrgr

Has anyone had any experience with the FAST FI stuff?
Looking to go FI for my setup
440/512 RB 11:1
Indy EZ Max Wedge Heads flow about 334 cfm. Nick Wilson from CompuFlow did the heads
Mopar 337 intake (waiting on it to ship. I'll have the intake opened up to the Max Wedge ports)
Solid Roller Comp Cam with 308 duration and .567 lift

Currently have an Indy 2D intake with an AED 1000 carb on top.

Thanks

303 Mopar

I've heard good things about FiTech but nothing good or bad on FAST.  Holley Sniper and Terminator seem to be decent choices too, although some guys have had issues.  I've been monitoring FI solutions for the last year or two, just have not pulled the trigger yet.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

69Chrgr

After doing an install on a customers BBC 496 stroker (FiTech) and then doing an Edelbrock Pro Flow on a 440 Cuda, I'm definitely sold! The improvement was so much that I can't resist but to go FI on my own car. I just need a break between customer cars now. After extensive research FAST looks quite appealing.

68CoronetRT

FAST has it's downfalls. It's also owned by Holley now.

Had a Fitech and returned it for the Holley Sniper kit. Would never buy a Fitech product again. :Twocents:

303 Mopar

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on August 03, 2017, 01:06:27 PM

Had a Fitech and returned it for the Holley Sniper kit. Would never buy a Fitech product again. :Twocents:

The downfall with Sniper is only up to 650 HP kit was available. Do they have the higher HP kit available yet?  If you have installed it, how is it?

69Chrgr

No experience with a Holley Sniper yet. The FAST XFI has 8 injectors instead of 4, and is capable of 1200 horsepower. However you need a laptop to tune.

Regarding the FiTech - Whomever wrote the instructions was either color blind or high. I had to figure out some things on my own. The Edelbrock seems to me to be over complicated but works well once it's tuned properly. The FAST can use a dual sync distributor which I'm extremely interested in. I just purchased the 337 intake and will have it opened up to the full Max Wedge port by Wilson Manifolds.

Troy

Stating the obvious here but the XFI is port injection whereas the FiTech GoEFI and Holley Sniper are carb replacement throttle bodies. The XFI is meant to be fully tunable whereas the others are marketed for the plug-n-play crowd. Hence the large price difference.

I have a FiTech for one car but the next will have some sort of port injection with all the bells and whistles. I have been collecting parts for a Megasquirt but if I wanted a proven system that was quick to install I'd likely pick something from FAST. There are others with good reputations as well like SDS http://www.sdsefi.com/.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68CoronetRT

Quote from: 303 Mopar on August 03, 2017, 01:18:37 PM

The downfall with Sniper is only up to 650 HP kit was available. Do they have the higher HP kit available yet?  If you have installed it, how is it?

Yea, Holley has not released their 8 injector kit yet. The software is there in the handheld, but its still in R&D. It'll probably be an 800hp kit, and then they will do dual quads for 1,200 and 1,600 HP.

I only need the 680* HP kit. You can also swap out injectors and do 100lbers and probably be able to do over 700. I've never seen anyone do this yet, but fuel is fuel.

The Holley kit is way ahead of Fitech IMO, having run both systems now. They both have their plus's and negatives but so far the Holley kit to me is much nicer. I just had a bad experience with Fitech.I tried to support them and stick up for them, but they just continued to be a terrible company from the cust support standpoint. Since I talked with them and moved on from their product, I've noticed they have ramped up the tech support and are trying to be more involved with their cust. base on facebook etc.. I wish them luck, but who do you think will be around in 20 years for parts/tech support? the guy that's failed 2-3 times since the late 80's or the company that is so big and well known that I dont see them going away any time soon? :scratchchin:

I'm trying really hard to not sit here and bash Fitech, but I do want to share my experience. The kit actually ran very well on my car and if it wasn't for the timing control problem I had(The ECU was bad) then I'd still have the system on my car to this day.

You can read through the thread "Has anyone tried Fitech EFI" to understand my frustrations. I documented pretty much everything that happened as it was going on day to day.

darbgnik

Quote from: 69Chrgr on August 03, 2017, 01:35:00 PM
No experience with a Holley Sniper yet. The FAST XFI has 8 injectors instead of 4, and is capable of 1200 horsepower. However you need a laptop to tune.

Regarding the FiTech - Whomever wrote the instructions was either color blind or high. I had to figure out some things on my own. The Edelbrock seems to me to be over complicated but works well once it's tuned properly. The FAST can use a dual sync distributor which I'm extremely interested in. I just purchased the 337 intake and will have it opened up to the full Max Wedge port by Wilson Manifolds.

The Sniper can use the dual sync distributor for timing control as well. Plug and play with a harness. While dual sync isn't necessary, it sure beats dinking around locking out and phasing other products. Read the instructions to see how easy timing control can be.

EDIT: just read your distributor post, guess you already knew that......
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

69Chrgr

Yes, I have the dual sync distributor and my new 337 intake is at Flow Tech getting opened up to the Max Wedge port and some other plenum work. I am just worried now that the Sniper won't come out with a unit that will support over 600 Horsepower, as I don't want to leave any HP on the table.

cdr

Fast is part of Comp Cams
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Brads70

I don't have any of these systems but from the research I've done  it depends on the vacuum  your cam produces . I've read under 10inches at idle in quite a few of the throttle body self learning types of FI do not work very well?  If your engine produces less than 10 inches then FAST sportsman XFI or  FAST XFI 2.0 seems to be the most popular.

Back N Black

I have a legit question, what is the reason to change from carb to fuel injection? Is it because you put lots of miles on your car and want reliability? I have been following the FI threads and have not found a lot of positive feedback. I have a 850 double pumper and cannot find a bad thing about the carb and I drive at least 3500 km per season. I started it up yesterday from sitting for 6 months, pump it 4 times and it fired right up?

myk

Quote from: Back N Black on April 19, 2018, 11:26:22 PM
I have a legit question, what is the reason to change from carb to fuel injection? Is it because you put lots of miles on your car and want reliability? I have been following the FI threads and have not found a lot of positive feedback. I have a 850 double pumper and cannot find a bad thing about the carb and I drive at least 3500 km per season. I started it up yesterday from sitting for 6 months, pump it 4 times and it fired right up?

Fuel injection is more efficient and ultimately leads to greater performance.  Auto manufacturers wouldn't be using fuel injection if it was just a gimmick.  Reliability, performance, mileage and all of that neat stuff a carburetor would never be able to compete with.

With that being said, I'm not sold on EFI conversions.  I like my Charger's sledge hammer simplicity and don't want to over complicate it with sensors and other electronic nonsense; that's what my 99 Firebird Ram Air is for...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

justcruisin

Are you talking TBI vs carb? If so they can offer better start up and warm up, they don't suffer from fuel boiling over and flooding, they can self learn and maintain correct A/F ratios in all conditions I doubt they would offer much in the way of fuel savings and from what I have seen they aren't a performance gain unless you had a badly set up carb prior to changing. Personally I wouldn't use a TBI system, I prefer a quality carb. The ones I have helped out with have had tuning issues with duel plane manifolds. An MPI system is a different story but much more involved and more expensive.

Back N Black

Quote from: justcruisin on April 20, 2018, 01:08:06 PM
Are you talking TBI vs carb? If so they can offer better start up and warm up, they don't suffer from fuel boiling over and flooding, they can self learn and maintain correct A/F ratios in all conditions I doubt they would offer much in the way of fuel savings and from what I have seen they aren't a performance gain unless you had a badly set up carb prior to changing. Personally I wouldn't use a TBI system, I prefer a quality carb. The ones I have helped out with have had tuning issues with duel plane manifolds. An MPI system is a different story but much more involved and more expensive.

I agree, my carb is running excellent and I would not want to change it out for a TBI system. I will wait until the dust settles and there is a reliable system, I will watch and shoot.

firefighter3931

Big carb fan here. I' m pretty good at picking the right one for the application and with the right tools they can perform flawlessly.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

303 Mopar

My electric pump went out on me this weekend. I've been thinking of an FI set up for a while and did a lot of research.  I would like a port injection system but can not find one that would fit in the tight hood clearance, and my Charger is just a fun street car with not a radical race set up. So I just ordered a complete Holley Sniper set up and will let you all know the results.

Derwud

1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Derwud

1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

69wannabe

I'm not sold on the whole EFI thing either. I tried a FItech on my engine last year or maybe it was a couple years back and I went back to my Holley 850 DP carb. The Fi tech didn't start all that great IMO and the mileage wasn't any better and the only thing that was better was the response while cruising. It would accelerate a bit quicker if I was driving slow and gave it a little push on the gas pedal. It didn't have a solid idle and it just had more con's than pro's. My holley 850 idles the same all the time and run's out great on my engine combo and since I swapped up to the prepped stealth the response and fuel mileage actually got better. It really breathes good now with the added air flow. If your carburetor runs good then going to EFI isn't going to be a daylight and dark difference. I did do the cool carb technology's spacer kit and some other things to get my heat soak down to a minimum but once you get a good handle on that then the carb is gonna be just as good IMO...