News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger windshield Trim / Seal Help / Clips

Started by Mopar Crazy, June 21, 2018, 08:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

I need to buy a new windshield, windshield molding and seal. I've read some horror stories about some of these parts not fitting properly.
Any advice where to buy these parts ?? I'm hoping for good quality..

Thanks  :2thumbs:
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

69bfan

From a standpoint of overall quality and price point, I will offer the following suggestions.  For the windshield, I would go with the AMD reproduction windshield.  The tinting is not quite correct, but all of the reproduction glass has the same issue in this area.  If your looking for a truly correct date coded windshield, then ECS will be able to take care of that need.  The thing to avoid is that some of the reproduction glass is not as thick as the original glass and thus a poor seal.

For the windshield reveal trim, I would search out good used and either buff it yourself or send it out to be polished.  If that is not an option, then AMD does reproduce it.  On the subject of the trim, you will need to know if the reveal trim clips is the early or later style.  Early production 68 B-Bodies up to around January 1968 used the longer lower trim clips as used on the 66-67 B-Bodies.  If the proper clips are not used, then you will have issues with the trim fitting properly. 

For the windshield gasket, I would go with the Precision WCRD715.  It is a good fitting seal and much more economical as compared to the Steele gasket. 

As you probably know, a variety of vendors drop ship the AMD product line.   On shipping a windshield, there is a boxing fee for that type of product from AMD.  So you can search out the best pricing or favorite vendor on those pieces.  There is an even greater number of vendors selling the gaskets and clips, so you can search that out as well.  Not knowing where you are located, if the windshield could be picked up at a local show, you can save considerable dollars on the shipping.  If you or a friend should be attending the Carlisle show or the Mopar Nats, we carry all of the reproduction pieces as does several other vendors that will be able to take care of your needs.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

Mopar Crazy

Wow  That's some good information... Thank you for the reply !!  :cheers:

gtx6970

I went thru this last fall on a 68.

I used a local glass shop.
1st glass they tried to put in didn't have enough curve to it and they broke it .
I suggested getting a PPG glass. ( they have been bought out and cant remember the name . ) But it fit like a glove. with no issues.

I would have to ck invoices but I think it was right about $500 installed

Bronzedodge

I wonder if the PPG glass is available to anyone?  My windshield in my 69 is showing it's age.
Mopar forever!

Mopar Crazy

69bfan,
I did not remove these moldings. Do you know how many clips are used around the windshield ?  AND are the 2 lower clips the only ones that would be different wiwithin the split year ??

Thanks

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Mopar Crazy on June 26, 2018, 02:58:53 PM
69bfan,
I did not remove these moldings. Do you know how many clips are used around the windshield ?  AND are the 2 lower clips the only ones that would be different wiwithin the split year ??

Thanks

I ordered my clips from Legendary, 1 kit that covers 68-70 Charger only, had both styles of clips if your application varied in clip size

Mopar Crazy

69bfan

All of the front windshields for the 68-70 B-Bodies use the same style of clips.  The Charger does not use a unique clip for the front windshield.  The difference is that the early production cars that were manufactured in the early stages of production up to approximately January of 68 will use the same lower clips as found on the 66 to 67 B-Body windshield applications.  The trim from a Road Runner windshield will fit a Charger with no issues.  But if you try to use the later style clip on the early production cars, then the clip will sit too low and not be able to contact the trim and hold it in place.
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.

69bfan

Mopar Crazy, I have sent you a Private Message in regards to the clip question.

Mopar Crazy

69bfan

I have attached two files.  The long & narrow clip was used on the 66 and 67 along with the early production 68 B-Bodies to attach the reveal trim on the cowl.  The more square style clip was used starting mid year in 68 and running through 1970.  Hope that this helps.