News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 + 70 don't exist

Started by G-man, June 20, 2018, 06:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

For me the 70 has always been the Charger to have, pistol grip shifter, door scoop, stripe options, hood treatment and call outs, the available colors, rallye wheels, go wing, hoodpins, body colored mirrors, tailpanel fascia, high back buckets seats, etc, etc, etc....granted the 68 Bullit Charger is cool (only because of the black paint/sleeper/stock look) DOH 69, could never stand the car or the show...Chargers 66-70 are about the most styled rides that Ma Mopar created

Here's a "nice 68" for the fans... :icon_smile_big:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: F8-4life on June 21, 2018, 12:47:38 PM
Really anyone who owns a 68-70 charger is already in a pretty cool club, even among other car/hot rod people.

Maybe the debate over which is the best year is a subconscious justification by owners to cope with the fact that they cannot own all three years.

BUSTED!

As someone who owns at least one of each year, my vote goes towards the 1970 versions.  I just like the whole package that Dodge put together that year.  I also like the 1970 Superbee styling cues that most people cannot stand though....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

stripedelete

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 21, 2018, 03:33:01 PM
For me the 70 has always been the Charger to have, pistol grip shifter, door scoop, stripe options, hood treatment and call outs, the available colors, rallye wheels, go wing, hoodpins, body colored mirrors, tailpanel fascia, high back buckets seats, etc, etc, etc....granted the 68 Bullit Charger is cool (only because of the black paint/sleeper/stock look) DOH 69, could never stand the car or the show...Chargers 66-70 are about the most styled rides that Ma Mopar created

Ick!  Appears to be "unsafe at any speed".

chargervert

Those 68 guys don't know if they are coming or going! But one thing is for sure with any Charger someone is going to see the back of them!

Johnnys440Charger

back

chargervert

Thats a lot of Charger AZZ right there! It is obvious that the 70 Charger finish panel was the inspiration for the current Charger taillights.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on June 21, 2018, 03:54:55 PM
  I also like the 1970 Superbee styling cues that most people cannot stand though....

Agreed!, for the 2nd gen B bodies, 1970 was the best year of styling/options/performance for the Charger, Superbee, and Roadrunner...

Birdflu

Boy...that '69 tail is hard to deny! What a nice looking AZZ!  :2thumbs:

JB400

Coming and going, they're hard to ignore

Lennard

Maybe the debate over which is the best year is a subconous justification by owners to cope with the fact that they cannot own all three years.

BUSTED!

Such b.s.
I own a '68 and a '69 and no '70 for the simple fact that it has that fugly Philishave razor front design. If I wanted one, I'd have one.

alfaitalia

People know my views on the 70 so that's done and dusted. Just speaking for the UK market the 69 holds a good price premium over the 68 and probably the 70. I say probably as I've never seen a 70 in the UK. They just don't seem to appeal to UK buyers....so they are not imported in any numbers. The 68 and 69 fronts seem to have been styled for universal tastes.....but the 70 instantly looks like an American 70s car styled for US buyers with US tastes. And your tastes in cars are different....and that's the reason you guys struggle to export many to Europe and the far East (Mustangs are selling well though....just don't crash one!!) as even the current US cars are not styled to our tastes....which is neither bad thing or a good thing (unless you are trying to export them I guess!!)....different likes and tastes is a good thing. :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

G-man

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 21, 2018, 03:33:01 PM

:smilielol: - i understand all the options... i somehow seem to like the chrome mirrors myself, i prefer the doors without the scoop, I love automatics with hurst shifters... only reason I love the 70 is those rear tailights. That is as menacing as any rear ends gonna get. Just seeing that says dont mess with me, you cant win.

Quote from: Lennard on June 22, 2018, 01:58:00 AM

Maybe the debate over which is the best year is a subconous justification by owners to cope with the fact that they cannot own all three years.

BUSTED!

Such b.s.
I own a '68 and a '69 and no '70 for the simple fact that it has that fugly Philishave razor front design. If I wanted one, I'd have one.

Fast and loud dont make ya right!

Looking at the front of a 68 and 70 when headlights are visible, the 68 looks like some old classic car rather than a beast while those slightly rounded edges of the front of the 70 makes it look tough.

How to explain... when i see a cuda next to a challenger, the cuda looks like a more feminine vehicle, the styling cues to it etc make it look more lady like compare to the more manly looking challenger. Thats how im seeing the square finish of the 68 vs the more rounded finish of the 70, where the 70 looks more man like.

Given... if you leave the white horizontal line in the grill the 70 looks like a blowfish :(

So the dam grills gotta be sorted out, paint inside black, then its as mean as its matching rear end.

Makes sense they used a 70 charger for the fast n furious character, its got the same appeal as vin diesels character did, bad, dont mess with it tough guy.

69 Had the farm truck appeal, hence the dukes of hazard (mind you i think the best looking 69 is an orange one... that split grill seems to suit the split grill more than black etc does) - and yeah I liked dukes of hazard too.

68... well I never really heard of them until i was a member of this board. Watching bullit, there not the tough badass character vin diesel was which suited the look of the 70, they were just a bunch of slim goons so maybe thats why most people like 68s, theres usually more goons than normal blokes :poke: :D

But back on point to original question of this thread... after photos not everyones opinion on what is better  :slap:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: G-man on June 22, 2018, 06:40:42 AM

Makes sense they used a 70 charger for the fast n furious character, its got the same appeal as vin diesels character did, bad, dont mess with it tough guy.

Watching bullit, there not the tough badass character vin diesel was which suited  

Sounds like you have a bit of a Vin Diesel fetish going on there.

Speaking of which, what the heck happened to that guy?

Ghoste

Quote from: chargervert on June 21, 2018, 09:28:17 AM
It is the concensus of 69 Charger owners that their cars are better, worth more,and are more desirable.  But the actual prices that 68-70 Chargers are selling for proves that that is just their opinion, and not fact based. While I love all three years of the second generation Charger, all of them are holding their own in the current market, and all of them are considered desirable and collectable.  The 68 was the fresh new look,the 69 was tastefully updated as was the 70,but the 70 by far has the best options and colors.  While everyone has their preferences, a true Charger enthusiast would love them all.  I personally prefer the 70 Charger, but if the 69 owners feel that they are better than or a cut above other second generation owners,thats just ego,not fact. I have a 69 Charger R / T SE, and I don't consider it to be any better than any of my other second generation Chargers.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

chargervert

Quote from: Lennard on June 22, 2018, 01:58:00 AM

BUSTED!

Such b.s.

I personally think that they disturbed the perfect grille of the 68,by putting that 72 to 74 Barracuda grille divider in it,and was really glad that they realized that it was a huge mistake, and went back to the uninterrupted grille in 1970.  That grille divider belongs in a Pontiac grille!

F8-4life

Logic would dictate the 1968 charger would have had the most forethought put into the design, as it was a new model and had a lot riding on its success,  & also without the advantage of having sales numbers of a similar body style to look back on for guidance.
It also looks the most like other Chrysler cars of the 1965-67 era, giving it a more refined overall presence.
I would say 69 and 70 had changes that moved the car torweds a buyer looking for a more rugged muscle car.
The change in grills/taillights as well as high impact colors support this.
Remember the charge was marketed as almost a GTX type model, a sophistacted beautiful car with the power of a 440.
It would be cool to know percentages of options ordered on each year, note the changes and you could figure out the public perception of the car over the 2nd generation.

chargervert

The Charger was marketed more like a Pontiac Grand Prix, it was a luxury muscle car.  It was a step above the GTX, and Plymouth had no equal model.  The Coronet R / T  was the equal to the GTX.

tan top

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 20, 2018, 08:25:13 AM
You don't need a side by side comparison. This is all you need to know....

:lol: :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

G-man

:drool5:  - Don't know where this was done but that is gorgeous.

Who says the 68 looks better than the 70? Only one to me that looks odd is the grill split 69. Both 68 and 70 have the open front, but the 70 looks more muscle AND the 68 got wrecked with the corvette tail lights.

chargervert

All kidding aside, you really cannot go wrong with any second generation Charger!  When you see the pictures of all three together, they all rock!  It is just a matter of preference.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: chargervert on June 25, 2018, 08:38:48 AM
All kidding aside, you really cannot go wrong with any second generation Charger!  When you see the pictures of all three together, they all rock!  It is just a matter of preference.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

440 Fanatic

Mytur, your reply was absolutely hilarious !
IMO, the real works of art of the Chargers are the second gens, but when I really have to choose,  I choose mine :

Polygon

I like them all. And that 68 has the headrest option. I got a 70, I like the big chrome bumper.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page