News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brand new motor and long term storage

Started by 70 sublime, May 13, 2019, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

So if a person was to buy a brand new rebuilt 440 that has only been run on a dyno after it was built
What is the best thing to do to keep it in good shape if the plan was not to use it for a couple years that could turn into 3  4  5 ..... you know how it goes

Fill it right level full of oil ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

c00nhunterjoe

Rockers removed, plugs out and mist wd40 into cylinders. Tape over intake and exhaust openings. Stored in climate control facility with annual remisting and oiling.

70 sublime

I don't have a climate controlled spot to keep something like that so it would just be in the corner of the shop

So take rockers off so all the valves are shut
WD 40 in the spark plug holes and put plugs back in
Tape up intake and exhaust holes ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

WD40 is the last thing I would use to pickle cylinders, use Marvel Mystery Oil; a teaspoon per cylinder and turn the crank slowly to spread it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

The point was, coat the engine and seal it.

flyinlow

You could bring it to Detroit where I would  meet you ,then I could take it to my garage and install it in a car. I would only operate it about 4 0r 5 thousand miles a year, so it would  only have maybe 20K miles on it when I gave it back.... Wait ,then I would have to store my 440. Never mind.

Oil the cylinders, openings covered, loosen rockers. put engine in storage bag and purge with dry nitrogen if possible and put desiccant bags in with engine. store in cool dry location.

metallicareload99

Not sure if this is necessary, but if its on a engine stand and the manifolds are off I try to get oil on the valves and valve seats also.  Before you back off the rocker shafts poor a little oil in the ports where the valves are closed, turn the engine over slowly to close the other valves
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth