News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

E85 as fuel for high compression big blocks

Started by Todd Wilson, April 29, 2006, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Wanted to throw some stuff out there and see what others think about this E85 fuel thats starting to show up at stations.

We all have been fighting the low octane fuels in big blocks for years.   What about running a big block on E85.    It is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.   Has an octane rating of 100-105.

http://www.iowacorn.org/ethanol/ethanol_5a.html

I would think an old fuel system would provide problems with clogging as the alcohol washed things clean  but what if one would start with a fresh engine and fuel system.

Could be get back into the high compression high octane run good power that the big blocks once had on the old fuels of 35 years ago?   

Would the E85   wash down the cylinder walls and valve train  too much causing premature wear?! 

Would this be any greater then the choked cold start or miss tuned carb washing cylinder walls down now?

Could it be prevented with a fuel additive like mystery oil?!

Just curious as to what others think about this. Its a cheaper fuel and a higher octane fuel then we have now.

Todd

dodge freak

Well the new cars can run it. I would add some type of oil to it, even to  the gas is not a bad idea I think since it is so" clean" now. You would have to jet the carb way up, in fact holley makes alcohol carbs and jets for running straight alcohol , you might have to lean it out a little. I know summittracing and jegs sell oil for the alcohol fuel . You should get a book on building a alcohol racing engine. I wonder too if you might have a hard time filling it up, might say its not for your car. These new cars can switch back and forth to gas and e85 you won't be able to without changing carbs. It will get I think less miles to the gallon but it might make a ton of power if its done right. I think you need something like a msd 8 spark box to burn all the fuel. It would not be cheap but you might be king of the street unless they refuse to sell it to you, which could happen if alot people start doing it. We don't have it here in michigan , at least I have not seen it.

Steve P.

I don't see gas station attendants out there telling anyone NO!! I'm sure it will be at your own risk/buyer beware.. I have heard that millage goes down with E-85. They never say anything about it's performance abilities....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

max

we have had ethanol (i believe 10%) in our gas here in southern Ohio for many years now. i have ran it in my older engines for years and never had any trouble unless you don't use a stablizer in the fuel over the winter then it will gum up the carb and you will need to go through it and clean it out.

performance wise i don't see any gain from it, if anything maybe alittle less performance.