News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

mini Starter option for a 440

Started by Iowa_Mopar, December 18, 2018, 11:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowa_Mopar

I want to install a smaller / lighter starter on my 68 440.  I thought I heard/read recently that you can use a newer late model starter on a 440.  It's cheaper then buying the specialty mini starters on the market.  Question:  What vehicle starter would be a match?  I thought I heard a Dodge Dakota 2003 was the ticket?

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

I went to my local auto part store and got one for my 94 Dakota with 3.9l engine.....lifetime warranty, and fit right in, had to remove the black terminal block that came on the starter

Bryan

XH29N0G

I think I bought basically the same thing through DB electrical.  There is a connection that is used to extend to the wires that needed to be removed (this is on other posts and straightforward to do), but it went right in and worked well. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

garner7555

Quote from: A383Wing on December 18, 2018, 06:46:46 PM
I went to my local auto part store and got one for my 94 Dakota with 3.9l engine.....lifetime warranty, and fit right in, had to remove the black terminal block that came on the starter

Bryan

I think he meant to say 5.9 L.   The 5.2 L is also the same starter.     :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

A383Wing

No, my truck is a 3.9l , it's the same starter........ and they didn't have the 5.9 in 1994 in the Dakota.......

Bryan

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel