News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HellCat Parking Lot.

Started by hemi-hampton, February 16, 2019, 03:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Christ..I thought I was the same age as you guys. I graduated High School in 1983. In '82-83 I worked at Burger King, starting at $3.35/hr. I saved up to buy my first of 26 A body cars...a '69 2 door Dart !

BSB67

No shortage of folks on these muscle car forums talking about young kids cant afford old muscle cars, cant afford new cars, cant, cant, cant. Ive said it before, like some already has on this thread, THEY DONT WANT muscle cars.  Yes there are exceptions.

I have three kids in their 20s.  With friends and family and work, I probably know 50 young adults between 20 and 35.  They all come for middle class upbringing, at best. I don't think any one of them would want a muscle car.  All but 1 maybe 2 are doing just fine. All independent and reasonably self sufficient.  Some have very little money left over after bills, some have purchased a second home, some have several rental properties, some with considerable school debt, some with no school debt, some with $100,000+ boat&car, others driving 10 year old Accord's or similar.  I look at this group of young adults, and think they are doing a lot better than the thugs and dead beats that I grew up around.  Most cannot do the stuff I can do, mostly because they don't want to.  They also seem to have much better life experiences than we did at that age.

For the young adults that are financial misfits, its hard to blame anything but poor parenting in that regard.  Again, there are exceptions

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

hemi-hampton

I Remember paying only $150 for my 70 Charger in about 1987. Worked as a Paint body man way back then but can't remember what I made a hour. LEON.

INTMD8

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 27, 2019, 09:40:25 AM
You were rich! My first job was as a bag-boy at a local supermarket making 1.85 per hour & in 1975, I managed to save up 700 bucks in six months to buy my first car; a 69 318 Charger.

Haha, well this was in 94 so no, you guys did way better than me on the first job all things considered.

Thinking back now I think it was actually less than minimum wage because I was part time? Not sure if that makes sense or if I'm just remembering incorrectly.

Would have loved a 69 Charger as my first car. There was -one- at my high school.  Well kind of. It was a 70 with 68 quarters and a 69 front end and that set him back $3500.

My $800 bought a 73 Nova sedan with a 350.  I should have saved longer :'( :lol:

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Kern Dog

In 1983 when I was car shopping, I really wanted a 68-70 Charger but the ones that were running and driveable were all over $1500. I probably could have saved another 6-8 months and stepped up but I was tired of riding the bus to school and my bicycle to work.

70 sublime

Think it was around 1982 I bought my first 68 Charger for $600
Total rot box but learned a very good lesson on what to look for on the next one
6 months later bought another 68 for $800 and made my first F6 green Charger from the two of them  :2thumbs:

How much was I making an hour ??
Sad to say I have only had one job off the farm and that was picking juice apples off the ground for 25 cents per crate ( bushel)
Or baby sitting ( or I called it playing with the kids next door Lego s after they went to bed)
Only money I made was using some birthday money to buy our farm baby bull calves and raise them up to sell
Now that was a looong time ago now
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

VegasCharger

Quote from: jefferson on February 27, 2019, 08:15:47 AM.....i like to think of myself as not part of this generation because i have sense, unfortunatly tho being mid twenties i am, although i do alright for myself, i see everyone else my age in a world of debt and stupidity, putting everything on afterpay, layby, credit cards. Cars are no different.

They all want the latest and flashest thing, they all want to pose on instafacesnapchat online garbage with there brand new loan twin turbo BMW or Audi or whatever for 60-80grand and blend in with the rest of this damned young generation. Beyond help if you ask me, lucky i was smart enough to never get caught up into it. And im proud every step of the way in what i have achieved over the last 10 years with myself and my current situation.

Props to you Jefferson!  :2thumbs:

A rare breed indeed you are. You'll be so far ahead of the same age group of folks who are in debt. They will live paycheck to paycheck and try to out do their Facebook mates even if that means going more into debt. Those 60K loans will be more like 100k after the debt is satisfied. I know people my age (56) who will always have a car payment until they can't drive anymore or pass away. CRAZY!

And yes Mytur Binsdirti was giving you a compliment! That GIF is from the 1970s sitcom The Jeffersons lol.

:cheers:

jefferson

Quote from: VegasCharger on February 28, 2019, 12:12:15 AM
Quote from: jefferson on February 27, 2019, 08:15:47 AM.....i like to think of myself as not part of this generation because i have sense, unfortunatly tho being mid twenties i am, although i do alright for myself, i see everyone else my age in a world of debt and stupidity, putting everything on afterpay, layby, credit cards. Cars are no different.

They all want the latest and flashest thing, they all want to pose on instafacesnapchat online garbage with there brand new loan twin turbo BMW or Audi or whatever for 60-80grand and blend in with the rest of this damned young generation. Beyond help if you ask me, lucky i was smart enough to never get caught up into it. And im proud every step of the way in what i have achieved over the last 10 years with myself and my current situation.

A rare breed indeed you are. You'll be so far ahead of the same age group of folks who are in debt. They will live paycheck to paycheck and try to out do their Facebook mates even if that means going more into debt. Those 60K loans will be more like 100k after the debt is satisfied. I know people my age (56) who will always have a car payment until they can't drive anymore or pass away. CRAZY!

And yes Mytur Binsdirti was giving you a compliment! That GIF is from the 1970s sitcom The Jeffersons lol.

Thanks mate. Just somewhere along the line, i took a step back and realised just how much of a disgrace, the world, this generation, the young people are these days, To tell you the truth, i rarely ever even talk to young people these days i go that far to stay out of such a shitty generation. I Stick to myself and can just feel and see how worse and worse young people are becoming, also lazy work ethic, I can tell you right now, If you offered to pay a young kid a few grand per week to go work on a farm, he would turn it down. WHY? Because there lazy, they dont want to work hard and most of the time, they live off mum and dad, paycheck to paycheck. Dont get me wrong, men and women are as bad as each other, but i see women as of right now trying to get the easiest, most laid back jobs they can, im surrounded by them, lazy, easy jobs, minimum wage, financed cars, and most of them, living off hard working older guys, or parents. A lot of women i know, take easy jobs, personal trainers, receptionists, clerks, nothing really involved, compared to a lot of older women i know whom are either mechanics, truck drivers(loading and unloading)) Farm workers etc etc. The young generation is purely lazy and pathetic IMO and ill say it as much as i want because not one of them own or have worked as hard as i have to be able to even afford any of there own luxuries. Mine being my 68 RT charger. I know for a fact, there are plenty of hard working jobs going as i have plenty of contacts with older people who own, construction, sleel bussiness that will put on the books young men and even women but he struggles to find any because they dont want to bust there back, lugging steel, or concreting and laboring. He has even told me multiple times, do i know any young men or women wanting full time work, good money, allowance, working 8-12hour days but very physical work. Not one of them were interested. The girls would rather sit at a reception staring at a computer screen making 1/8th of the money and being a burden on there wealthier spouse/parents.
See it every day day in day out and its honestly pathetic. There are plenty of hard working jobs out there, the young people dont fucking want them. And i can put my 2 cents in IMO whenever i want, because i own an expensive classic 68 dodge charger, that was the benefit of my hard work because i worked my ass off for years on end, and dont see 1 of these young people doing what i did, and still do now.

MoParJW

Quote from: Ponch ® on February 21, 2019, 06:35:08 PM
Instant gratification, that sort of thing.

This seems to be a big factor to me, younger people don't seem to understand delayed gratification.
Personally I don't think money is the biggest factor, around here young guys would be into mopeds and honda civics and other relatively cheap hobbies until a few years ago.
Myself I was on a budget in my younger years and did the 4 door thing, it was all very doable, even here in the Netherlands, and I think it still is, but took some time and effort.

I don't really like to use that word, but ''millenials'', seem to want their fix right now, and rather use things like partydrugs and alcohol to release the good feelz, instead of actually building something and get gratification from that later on.
That is what I see around me, but I am on the other side of the pond so things may be different here.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

MoParJW

Quote from: jefferson on February 28, 2019, 06:58:22 AM

Thanks mate. Just somewhere along the line, i took a step back and realised just how much of a disgrace, the world, this generation, the young people are these days, To tell you the truth, i rarely ever even talk to young people these days i go that far to stay out of such a shitty generation. I Stick to myself and can just feel and see how worse and worse young people are becoming, also lazy work ethic, I can tell you right now, If you offered to pay a young kid a few grand per week to go work on a farm, he would turn it down. WHY? Because there lazy, they dont want to work hard and most of the time, they live off mum and dad, paycheck to paycheck. Dont get me wrong, men and women are as bad as each other, but i see women as of right now trying to get the easiest, most laid back jobs they can, im surrounded by them, lazy, easy jobs, minimum wage, financed cars, and most of them, living off hard working older guys, or parents. A lot of women i know, take easy jobs, personal trainers, receptionists, clerks, nothing really involved, compared to a lot of older women i know whom are either mechanics, truck drivers(loading and unloading)) Farm workers etc etc. The young generation is purely lazy and pathetic IMO and ill say it as much as i want because not one of them own or have worked as hard as i have to be able to even afford any of there own luxuries. Mine being my 68 RT charger. I know for a fact, there are plenty of hard working jobs going as i have plenty of contacts with older people who own, construction, sleel bussiness that will put on the books young men and even women but he struggles to find any because they dont want to bust there back, lugging steel, or concreting and laboring. He has even told me multiple times, do i know any young men or women wanting full time work, good money, allowance, working 8-12hour days but very physical work. Not one of them were interested. The girls would rather sit at a reception staring at a computer screen making 1/8th of the money and being a burden on there wealthier spouse/parents.
See it every day day in day out and its honestly pathetic. There are plenty of hard working jobs out there, the young people dont fucking want them. And i can put my 2 cents in IMO whenever i want, because i own an expensive classic 68 dodge charger, that was the benefit of my hard work because i worked my ass off for years on end, and dont see 1 of these young people doing what i did, and still do now.

Careful what you say about women in public my friend! But I see it also.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

Mike DC

"Our young men have grown slothful. There is not a single honorable occupation for which they will toil night and day. They sing and dance and grow effeminate and curl their hair and learn womanish tricks of speech; they are as languid as women and deck themselves out with unbecoming ornaments. Without strength, without energy, they add nothing during life to the gifts with which they were born — then they complain of their lot."

- Seneca, 2000 years ago.

History is full of quotes like this.  Every generation makes the same complaints about the younger ones.  Any century, any country, it never changes.

BSB67

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 01, 2019, 08:43:18 PM

"Our young men have grown slothful. There is not a single honorable occupation for which they will toil night and day. They sing and dance and grow effeminate and curl their hair and learn womanish tricks of speech; they are as languid as women and deck themselves out with unbecoming ornaments. Without strength, without energy, they add nothing during life to the gifts with which they were born — then they complain of their lot."

- Seneca, 2000 years ago.

History is full of quotes like this.  Every generation makes the same complaints about the younger ones.  Any century, any country, it never changes.

Yup

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Kern Dog

Yeah, the "seasoned" generation often sees the next group as being lazy and ungrateful while they forget what they were like.
WHO was it that wrote "The older I get, the FASTER I ran as a boy"...?

BSB67

And there is no shortage of very marginal 50 and 60 year olds.  I've done a lot of hiring and work with a pretty large group of people.  We've had better luck with the <35 age group.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

alfaitalia

Quote from: jefferson on February 28, 2019, 06:58:22 AM

Props to you Jefferson!  :2thumbs:

You really are tarring all the young with the same brush there mate....they are far from all like that. I know lots of hard working young folks who earn the money to buy what they want/need. I bet the percentage of bone idle lazy scroungers that don't want to work hard and want everything NOW is pretty much the same as we were kids.....the difference is that we were part of that generation back then and too young to care so we didn't notice!!....now we look at that age group from outside with the benefit of hide site and experience!!

As for those with a life long car payment goes...well blame the car industry. Over here they really push personal car leasing schemes. That way you can run a far better car on the cheap rather than paying for it out right on finance or saving up the cash to buy it. Lets face it how many can really save of that sort of amount these days anyway...regardless of age. The car industry loves it as the cars have to changed every three to five years so it keep new sales going and gives a good supply of quality used cars with a good service history. Its a relatively cheap way to always run a new car....so its pushed hard,....and people fall for it.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

HANDM

I also disagree, both my kids 18 and 24 have full time jobs

And by the way

There = It's right there
Their = It's their choice
They're = They're sitting right there with their friends

Just doing my part to promote literacy  :cheers:

b5blue

Kern Dog

Quote from: HANDM on March 02, 2019, 12:58:56 PM
I also disagree, both my kids 18 and 24 have full time jobs

And by the way

There = It's right there
Their = It's their choice
They're = They're sitting right there with their friends

Just doing my part to promote literacy  :cheers:

Thank you for that. I appreciate the effort!