DodgeCharger.com Forum
March 18, 2019, 07:59:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DodgeCharger.com decals are available here!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opening up a pair of AFB's, does this make sense?  (Read 63 times)
Shadow71

« on: Yesterday at 08:12:41 AM »

My brother is getting ready to dyno his 68 426 Hemi and figured we should take a look at the dual AFB's and freshen them while we're at it. The hemi is fairly stock, modified intake with center cut out, some port work on heads and mech roller cam, but a fairly mild one. I believe 9.5 Keith Blacks with slightly shaved heads as well.

Anyway, opened up the rear carb (pair of 1968 AFB's) and after everything I've read, was expecting to find .089-.092 jets. Instead I found 3 1.01's and a .083? Also, metering rods are smaller than expected in the .053- .060 range.

Has this carb been messed with, or does this make any sense? I did find one thread where a guy posted Exactly the same combo from a pair of 69 AFB's but no one really addressed the seemingly larger than stock jets. Gotta be more than coincidence that he has the exact same combo with the odd ball .083 jet as well.

Looking for some info as I was originally thinking we might be lean with stock jetting and metering, but now I'm thinking the opposite!

Shadow71

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:40:48 AM »

Any chance these were off a Hurst Dart? lol

J7 4432 S (rear)
K7 4430 S (front)

I am starting to find info that says the earlier 66-67 Hemi duel 4's had the jet config exactly like these.

Right rear jet .083 then 1.01's for the other 3.

Man that seems like a big difference from the .077 Right rear, .092 left rear and .089 fronts that this carb is supposed to have.

Was it a common practice to swap to the larger jets from the older platform for more power?
John_Kunkel
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:56:40 PM »

Those carbs are correct for a '68 Hemi with an automatic. The intake might have the Vanke mod which requires richer jetting. Mopar offered a kit to modify the carbs for the Vanke mod. Kit P/N was P2836137, not sure what the actual jet/rod sizes were.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626616/vanke-intake-modifications.html

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: